Newbie buying/selling questions

MainTank

Greenie
Jun 21, 2011
La Crosse, WI
So...let me pick your brains for a bit. Let's say I had 100 silver dollars. Whether they be Morgans or more modern examples, are they actually 100% silver? If so, I'm assuming they're worth more than face value to a person in the business of buying and selling silver for a living, correct? Does the same apply for gold as well, since the ounce price for gold is much higher?

I've also done a lot of reading here about places that you can just send stuff in and they send you a check; is it correct to assume that those types of places pay more than local dealer/pawn shop prices also? Say if I had a bunch of assorted gold and silver rings and other pieces of jewelry that I'm not going to use/wear/gift/etc.; do places like this accept items like that, sight unseen?

Sorry for the noob questions, and I'm sure had I looked this information is here somewhere, but I'm a) too lazy to look since I'm on vacation right now (and it's KILLING me I can't afford to buy a MD right now since I have nine days off to do nothing) and b) I'm sure there are other noobs wondering the same thing but are too embarrassed to ask =).

Thanks much!!

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
Really..... Come on!!! Sure if we could we would all buy at "face". Sorry just had to post. P.S. I will buy all you have at face.... Make that vacation great with extra cash.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MainTank said:
So...let me pick your brains for a bit. Let's say I had 100 silver dollars. Whether they be Morgans or more modern examples, are they actually 100% silver? If so, I'm assuming they're worth more than face value to a person in the business of buying and selling silver for a living, correct? Does the same apply for gold as well, since the ounce price for gold is much higher?

I've also done a lot of reading here about places that you can just send stuff in and they send you a check; is it correct to assume that those types of places pay more than local dealer/pawn shop prices also? Say if I had a bunch of assorted gold and silver rings and other pieces of jewelry that I'm not going to use/wear/gift/etc.; do places like this accept items like that, sight unseen?

Sorry for the noob questions, and I'm sure had I looked this information is here somewhere, but I'm a) too lazy to look since I'm on vacation right now (and it's KILLING me I can't afford to buy a MD right now since I have nine days off to do nothing) and b) I'm sure there are other noobs wondering the same thing but are too embarrassed to ask =).

Thanks much!!

A Morgan or Peace dollar has a melt value of roughly 26 - 28 dollars depending on market fluctuation. They are .7533 percent
silver. I am not even going to address the Gold question, that question seems like a joke.

Assuming you have 100 Morgans, melt value would be roughly $2,600. If you are looking to get rid of them we can probably
work out a deal... :laughing7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yagershots said:
Really..... Come on!!! Sure if we could we would all buy at "face". Sorry just had to post.
I have bought several morgans, peace and silver rounds at "face" value. You just got to know where to look. :wink:

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
To give you an idea. I have a shop that buys gold and silver and coins and such. Recently ive been paying between $20 and $22 dollars for run of the mill silver dollars. However you need to date check and mint mark check them as some can be worth much more than their silver value. On gold jewelry and such you just need to be careful if you intend on sending it off. Make sure it goes somewhere very reputable. DO NOT SELL TO CASH 4 GOLD or anything like that. Only to a refinery or someone who tells you what percentage you will get upfront or send it back to you if you are unhappy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions