Gold Selling Advice Needed...

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'm trying to sell a gold bracelet my wife's grandmother gave to us to sell for her. It is 18k and weighs in at 2 oz. When I take it around to local jewelry stores, I'm lucky to be offered 30-35% of spot value. I've been wanting to send it off to a place like Midwest Refineries, but my wife won't hear it because it's not our bracelet and she is worried something may happen. If I could find a place that insured the delivery, I may be able to convince her. My grandmother-in-law is from a Third World country, so I want to get her the most bang for her buck, and I'm sick of the ridiculous offers I am getting locally. Any ideas? Does anyone know of respectable refineries that have insurance options? I totally understand my wife's concern, but as I said, I don't want to give it away. I'm in Virginia, so if anyone knows of any places around here that pay a reasonable percentage of spot, I'm all ears. Thanks ahead of time!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck that's over $2200.00 you can get over 80% of spot on it here in the Classifieds. Coin sores and jewelry stores won't give you anywhere near it's value. You can also try on fleabay but then again you pay fees. Good luck. :thumbsup:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are willing to take a drive, most major cities should have a bunch of "gold buyers" places set up. The competition should allow you to get a decent enough percentage. I know my local place advertises 75% paying slightly under karat. You can do better but it is tough if you want to stay local. If you were willing to drive all the way to Philadelphia, there is an entire street with gold buyers and they are all in competition with each other.

OP
OP
P

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks Marchas and Jersey...I think I am going to have a go at ebay to see how that works out. I hate to give it away. The best offer I have gotten so far was about $1900 and that was with the 1911 gold George V coin that is attached. The bracelet is over 50 years old, and is quality made, so I really hate to just scrap it. I'd like to find a buyer who might appreciate it. I do appreciate y'alls input though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread