Need help identifying silver FLATWARE
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jim4silver

Thread: Need help identifying silver FLATWARE

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    Texas
    27 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need help identifying silver FLATWARE

Nickel Silver 12 pc set from Japan in late 60's or early 70s. Looking for pattern or any kind of value. I've searches images - no luck.
    Any help appreciated!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2802892987.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	733064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3068035462.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	526.9 KB 
ID:	733065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2097741531.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	433.5 KB 
ID:	733066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3163818243.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	733070  
    "No, no!" The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time," Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass.

us
    Sep 2012
    Texas
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rodgerdodger
    That's why I'm asking I googled it and it has something to do with coin silver??
    "No, no!" The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time," Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass.

Apr 2008
    455 times
    I just did some quick Google searches, and nickel silver appears to be some type of silver plate. Coin silver flatware (from the 1800s here in US) is different. Coin silver flatware is 90% silver and was made by melting the 90% silver coins that were circulating back then. I have a little bit of old "coin silver" flatware from the mid 1800s I bought for melt that was to be sent to the refiner. Kind of cool though it doesn't say "silver" on it anywhere, just the silver smith's name, in my case H. HUDSON, who was a US silver smith in KY from 1841 to 1855 or so.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
    firehorse12 likes this.
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

us
    Sep 2012
    Texas
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jim4silver
    I just did some quick Google searches, and nickel silver appears to be some type of silver plate. Coin silver flatware (from the 1800s here in US) is different. Coin silver flatware is 90% silver and was made by melting the 90% silver coins that were circulating back then. I have a little bit of old "coin silver" flatware from the mid 1800s I bought for melt that was to be sent to the refiner. Kind of cool though it doesn't say "silver" on it anywhere, just the silver smith's name, in my case H. HUDSON, who was a US silver smith in KY from 1841 to 1855 or so.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
    Thanks for looking! Do you have any idea on it's worth?

us
    Sep 2012
    Texas
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jim4silver

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
    And I can't find the pattern. Looking on line. It doesn't have a maker just NICKEL SILVER JAPAN with this pattern (see pic) and some of the knives, same pattern, are stainless steel as this one states. I'm thinking these were purchased in the late 60s or early 70s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3464893582.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	733143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-317176738.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	733149  

us
    Jan 2012
    194 times
    RodgerDodger isn't asking you a question. He is giving you a link to an article that tells you there is no silver in "nickel silver". Nickel silver is just a "silver colored" metal and has no elemental silver in it. Googling for "nickel silver" will also lead you to Wikipedia (likely the first result in the search) which confirms that there is no actual silver in "nickel silver".

us
    Sep 2012
    Texas
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasurePirate69
    RodgerDodger isn't asking you a question. He is giving you a link to an article that tells you there is no silver in "nickel silver". Nickel silver is just a "silver colored" metal and has no elemental silver in it. Googling for "nickel silver" will also lead you to Wikipedia (likely the first result in the search) which confirms that there is no actual silver in "nickel silver".
    Oh - I can't see that on my iPhone thanks for letting me know and thanks RodgerDodger!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    Minelab E-Trac
    1520 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by firehorse12 View Post
    That's why I'm asking I googled it and it has something to do with coin silver??
    No silver in your flatware . No silver value and could be toxic eating food with them.

TOXICITY OF NICKEL SILVER FLATWARE
    Last edited by rodgerdodger; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

us
    Sep 2012
    Texas
    27 times
    Sorry I couldn't see the website initially on my iPhone. I read it. Thanks for posting - and thanks for posting this article! Wow. Can I interest you in some flatware? LOL Thanks for looking!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links