Silver/gold ratio

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process or converting my 40% half dollars to 90% and also to gold. I am a total newb to the nuance of metal investing but I recently learned of the gold/silver ratio. It seems right now is not the greatest for converting silver to gold, so it appears from my possibly ignorant viewpoint, that I would be better served converting 40% to 90-99.99% rather than gold. Is this correct? Is it possible the ratio will soon travel more into silvers favor? A year ago the ratio was around 50:1 right now it's 60:1 or thereabouts.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I agree with your assessment. Some will say the ratio doesn't matter but it is a good tool to see which is a better buy, silver or gold, at any particular time. But in your case if you got your silver for face value and really would like some gold for your collection it's not like you are going to lose your shirt.

I do not agree with the pundits who say the silver to gold ratio is going back to 15 to 1, or that silver will some day be more valuable than gold, but if that happens I won't be too upset. If the ratio gets down to 35 to 1 or so I may sell some silver for gold.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you Jim but I see it a little closer 30-1 Lol that's when I trade for Gold if I have any silver left. Lol

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. The one thing I do know is I want to convert the 40s to something, for space savings if nothing else.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, so I sold all the 40s and bought: 2oz gold, 4oz 99% and 32 oz 90%. I'm happy with it even if the ratio is not so good.

Many years ago my wife and I bought 7 1oz krugerands, just before the 04 election, for $420 each...sold them a little while later when gold hit $500. Kicked myself ever since..but now I have 2 of those oz back.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good decision namster in getting rid of your 40% and I also like how you split up your buy. Keep Stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread