Anyone buying any PMs?

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Im looking to buy some junk silver and i was wondering what a good price for a roll of dimes is. Thanks

I guess it depends on your local area, but here they are selling ave. circulated dimes at roughly 80 bucks a roll.

Jim

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Grabbed some new, in plastic 5 oz silver bars today from the coin store. Premiums were 1.20 over spot. Pretty little bars made by Silvertowne. The premiums on ASE's are crazy high so I will stick with generic. Probably will use up my dry powder in the next couple weeks if silver stays low. I plan to sell my generic silver when the ratio is 35-40 to 1 and lower. Over time I will sell all but my core stash silver to buy gold once we get to lower ratios.

Of course I am basing all of this on silver (and gold) taking off someday over the rainbow.

Jim

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago, i found someone on Ebay selling 2013 Silver Eagles for 25 bucks free shipping....I ended up getting all of them (8)

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a couple silver Eagles for $25ea and several generic rounds(these look like buffalo nickels) for 23.50ea this weekend at a gun show. My local coin shop wants $33ea for Eagles

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by a gun show yesterday and the only person who had ASE's wanted $35. Another guy had a huge pile of morgan dollars (most were heavily worn), and he wanted $33. Both guys had some 90% silver too, but I didn't bother asking the price. Usually I can find a small deal or two on silver at a gun show.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I guess I am lucky the local stores sell new tubes of ASEs for roughly 23.50 to 24 right now. I am getting the cheaper stuff though. Premiums are still only 1.25 or so over spot for brand new generic bars.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Used up all my extra $$$$$ I had been holding for when silver got low again. Hope I am not premature. LOL! I picked up some cool stuff recently. Got some silver maples in original mint strips (10 coin strips) for 2.25 or so over spot. All coins from the 90's in perfect shape. Also got some generic 5 and 10 oz bars. But my favorite is a sealed mint sheet of 30 2013 Chinese Pandas I got for roughly $5.50 over spot (that is high but not for pandas per se). I want these for my long term holdings. I also like to give them as relatively inexpensive gifts to people I do business with (much prettier than an ASE any day and the folks LOVE them)- got some singles too because I want to keep the sheet intact. I will say though if somehow silver drops much lower, I will find some extra fiat if at all possible.

Kind of fun reading the comments on some PM bull sites and watching the PM bulls talk like bears and get pi$$y with each other and are damning the PM pundits. That to me is a sign we are there or very close to a bottom. The weak hands are easy to "break", but the diehards take longer. Once everyone hates PMs will they keep dropping? I don't think so but we'll have to see.

PS If bitcoin can go to over $1000 why not an ounce of silver someday in the future (even if for only a short time)?

Jim

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Just ordered 5 - 10 oz Prov bars under $199 ea. I still have way too much dry powder...on that note, anyone finding any .22 LR rounds? Crap I can't even go squirrel hunting on mr day off, tried to buy 3 times now in 3 months, no luck.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Just ordered 5 - 10 oz Prov bars under $199 ea. I still have way too much dry powder...on that note, anyone finding any .22 LR rounds? Crap I can't even go squirrel hunting on mr day off, tried to buy 3 times now in 3 months, no luck.

There's an active AMMO thread on the Second Amendment Watchdog forum. I've been looking for .22LR, myself.

dbigkahunna

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2013
Gaines County Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Whites Goldmaster 4/B
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gave up on 22 LR Got a .25 PCP air rifle. Will do anything a .22 can do. Will take a coyote at 50 yards. Get good glass on it. Fond one that fits you. Have shot a 9mm PCP. Can drop a deer at 30-50 yards. Start shooting air guns and it changes your perspective on firearms.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I picked up some "imperfect" silver maples of mixed years today for 1.00 over spot. Fortunately there were a few in the tube that were really nice. There were a few of the cougar coins in there and two of them were perfect except for some very slight toning (not milk spots) that I got out easy and now they look great. Also a couple of the moose (had tons of milk spots) and antelope (pretty good) that were good after a quick dip. Most all the rest had obvious milk spots but no scratches or damage of any kind so I don't mind for long term bullion of known origin, etc.

As Charlies says, keep stacking!

Jim

NOVA-Hunter

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2013
Fairfax Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, still buying PMs. Cash sitting in a savings account is a bad investment, keep enough liquidity of cash to cover expenses and a rainy day fund. After years of seeing my 401k sitting flat or minimal gains PMs are my hedge on inflation.

Regardless, mostly I just like the feel of something with tangiable value. Finding it in the ground rather than buying from a dealer makes it all the more sweet.

mmmm My Precious ...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, still buying PMs. Cash sitting in a savings account is a bad investment, keep enough liquidity of cash to cover expenses and a rainy day fund. After years of seeing my 401k sitting flat or minimal gains PMs are my hedge on inflation.

Regardless, mostly I just like the feel of something with tangiable value. Finding it in the ground rather than buying from a dealer makes it all the more sweet.

mmmm My Precious ...
Welcome to the forum. I have money in a savings account, and yer right, it's a bad investment, but it does pay dividends, (however minimal). My PM's do not. I'm taking a loss on my PM's, but I agree, I like holding the weight of precious metals also.

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy from provident metals as well and will attach a photo of my collection I just started but I was wondering about 1/10 ounce gold coins is it really worth the price with the mark up any help on this would be nice

image-1282993405.jpg

I have added since this pic

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I have read some of the old stock traders' books and such over past years, and I remember seeing a bit of advice that goes something like "if it hurts or feels bad (emotionally) when you are buying an asset or investment, it is probably a smart buy (as opposed to it feeling good when you buy it).

I am paraphrasing the above but I tend to believe this is true. Maybe has to do with when buying something that has been slammed it might go against your logic (rational mind) because the price is way down or falling. This is in contrast to when you buy (say silver) when it is going up and away (it would probably feel good to buy then) even though the price may be high (like in 2011). We have all seen how that story went between then and now. I really don't worry about silver (physical) going to say 14 or 16 and STAYING there, due to the fact that somewhere in the world the crap has to be mined and then fabricated, etc, at a price that is that far below the cost of production (from the figures I have read and believe to be factual).

In any event, I am going to buy some more imperfect silver maples or ASEs today and I don't feel "good" at all about it because of the price action, but something in me is yelling BUY BUY BUY.

PS I think it was either Bert Seligman or Jesse Livermore, both who were famous stock traders from the old days, that said "be right and sit tight" or something like that. I guess I have to follow that now with my PMs.

Jim

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
In any event, I am going to buy some more imperfect silver maples or ASEs today and I don't feel "good" at all about it because of the price action, but something in me is yelling BUY BUY BUY.
Jim

You couldn't have read my mind any better if you were plugged into my brain.
BUY BUY BUY is what I keep hearing from that voice inside me, however, I
keep telling the voice to wait a while longer, well, with my track record, I
will probably wait too long!

I have some extra cash right now, (if there is such a thing) but I just can't
seem to pull the trigger, what to do.............................................?

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn't have read my mind any better if you were plugged into my brain.
BUY BUY BUY is what I keep hearing from that voice inside me, however, I
keep telling the voice to wait a while longer, well, with my track record, I
will probably wait too long!

I have some extra cash right now, (if there is such a thing) but I just can't
seem to pull the trigger, what to do.............................................?

Buy! Buy! Buy! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions