My next silver purchase, opinions of current/short term value and generic premiums.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me start of by saying that I am by no means a collector of rarities, oddities or anything more valuable than its metal content. To date I have done my best to purchase silver with lowest premiums and have refused to pay more than $1.00 over spot for orders even after shipping. Often times this requires a larger order, order during special sales from bullion dealers or special addition to the order for "free shipping" which I chalk up to paying a bit extra on some silver for less shipping than would be charged normally (example buying 1 oz round/bar for $23oz that guarantees free shipping on entire order, when spot is $20 but shipping would have been $8.95 otherwise).

Recently I have taken interest in a generic round series minted by Provident which is titled the "Zombucks" line. So far we have seen the "Walker" (no longer produced) and now the "Morgue Anne" which will stop production at the end of the month and continue us into the next series of the coin. Provident has released that there will be 10 different designs, 1 released each quarter (4 yearly) during the second half of 2013 through the end of 2015.

The total mintage for the first round in this series was around 48k for the silver which varied reviews from weak strike to excellent. Most of the second release - the Morgue Anne are positive and hopefully speak to providents revision of quality control on the first of the set. Regardless of that, ebay completed listings TODAY with spot at 19.69 have the retired Walkers selling between $32-34 shipped which I find both appalling and fascinating. The premium on these are 2.99 above spot and it looks as if this trend will continue.

My goal is to seek maximum return both in the long and short term. Here is where I seek opinions as what is listed above is just factual background. I have no worries of silver never again reaching a spot of 22.77 which is the average I can expect to pay for these shipped to my door in any quantity if ordered over this weekend before the market opens and we start seeing a good old volatile silver bouncing up and down like a child in a play pen. My thought is, is it better to spend $3 on the premium and hope to realize a recovery or premium profit when it comes time to sell or just go for the cheaper stuff with an .80 premium which will likely be lost when sold later.

What are everyone's thoughts about the short term 3-6 months, long term 6-24 months on silver and what to buy to realize maximum profit? Will the premium and fanbase of the Zombucks line continue or is it a fluke with the "Walker" round and not likely to be realized from future designs?

I look forward to everyone's input.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't help you as I'm into Stacking for Survival not profit. I can say I buy the cheapest silver that I can find with free shipping and that would be SilverTowne. More Silver for the buck is what I'm after because if TSHTF then an 1oz of Silver is just that an 1oz of Silver. Keep Stacking

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear the ads about new coins -pandas, whatever. I don't care or pay extra for stamping. silver is silver no matter what's on it. ( except morgans and other real money)

OP
OP
S

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear the ads about new coins -pandas, whatever. I don't care or pay extra for stamping. silver is silver no matter what's on it. ( except morgans and other real money)

Even government minted silver doesn't deserve such a high premium... An ASE will always be worth more than face value, same with Morgans, peace dollars and all the other smaller denominations...if silver ever falls below their face values again, investors have bigger problems.

For safety purposes if tshtf and you need to barter gold and silver I highly doubt that recognition of government minted coinage is going to play a major rule in the bartering process...who knows what the future holds and how all that will play out.

Real money is subjective to the person, not a brand name or stamped image. If people will accept it, it's money.

Last edited:

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly don't know if the zombucks series is going to hold its value long term. You just never really know what is going to be popular down the road. Baseball cards were wildly popular in the 1980s and now you can hardly give them away. Right now zombies are very popular (as were vampires a couple of years ago). But the zombie craze will not last forever. But of course, it could see a massive resurgence 20 years from now as everything goes in cycles.

Some of the best advice I ever got out here was when someone told me to "collect what you like". If you like the zombucks series then go ahead and buy them if the premium is reasonable. If down the road they aren't worth quite as much as you paid for them then who really cares? Investing (risk taking) is all about taking chances and hit or miss returns. Some investments pay off while others don't. But as long as you don't tie all of your capital up in one type of investment then either way it isn't going to make or break you. Buy only as much as you are willing to lose and you should be fine.

With all of that said, I will reiterate what I have said many times out here... too many people spend countless hours trying to save every single dime they can on silver when in the long run it really won't matter to most of you. Unless you are buying $1M worth of silver, a percentage point or two isn't going to really change anything in the long term. If you buy 10 zombucks today at 22.75 each and sell them 10 years from now for $50 each, you really aren't going to care whether you paid $22.75 each or $23.75 each. The difference for 10 ounces of silver would be a measly $10 difference in profit. Heck, you'll probably blow that kind of money going out to lunch one day this week. So unless you are like Marchas and are buying in the hundreds of ounces, a buck or two per round here and there isn't going to make one bit of difference down the road. Yet I constantly read about people out here scouring eBay or going site to site to find the VERY best price (to the penny) on some silver rounds when they are actually only going to be buying a handful.

So buy what you want and enjoy them. Unless you are going to buy dozens or even hundreds of coins, in the grand scheme of things you aren't really going to be able to lose much (or make much either).

OP
OP
S

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure pirate, I do see your point...I found myself searching for those prime deals when it hit me: I was wasting my time which is more valuable than pennies saved an ounce here or there.

In regards to my original post, I picked up 25 Silver and 25 copper Morgue Anne zombucks and another 1 oz generic silver bar for "free shipping". Silver averaged out to about 22.68 per oz when factoring in all 26 oz.

Bought the coppers for 1.49 each against my gut and we will see what that "investment" looks like down the road.

Time will tell...thanks for all the input everyone.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you did well. I think you'll do fine on the zombucks rounds down the road. It may take a while but I think you'll make a tidy profit on them. If not, you'll have some really neat looking rounds to show the grand kids the next time zombies come back into fashion. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you did well. I think you'll do fine on the zombucks rounds down the road. It may take a while but I think you'll make a tidy profit on them. If not, you'll have some really neat looking rounds to show the grand kids the next time zombies come back into fashion. Good luck.

By the time I have grand children, silver better be worth much more than $23 per oz (without adjusting for inflation) considering I do not even have children yet and am planning on another 3-4 years before my wife and I decide on doing so.

I plan on collecting the remaining zombucks series but will be kicking myself if I missed the prime time to buy the walker and it's the only piece left for me to purchase in the end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread