If you had a choice

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you check the dollars for counterfeits, and keep them! Personally, I'd far rather have US minted silver coins any day as compared to ingots.

In addition to the bullion value, they also have both a numismatic and sentimental value the ingots will never have.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I would keep them. But for future reference, the premiums on US old silver dollars is very high and the resale value is not so high. They are cool and fun to own, but if you are going to put a substantial amount into silver for investment purposes get either nice generic 999 or Eagles or Maples, etc.

If you can get those silver dollars for a good price though, they are worth getting. And like deepseeker says, make sure they are real.

Jim

OP
OP
gunner45

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
You're right about the resale, I've been buying silver for quite some time and just accumulated these recently, it seems I'd rather have the larger bars but I do like the old coinage.
They're real, so that's not a problem.
At this juncture, what do you think would be a good resale price "if" I were to sell them and buy the bars/eagles

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
You're right about the resale, I've been buying silver for quite some time and just accumulated these recently, it seems I'd rather have the larger bars but I do like the old coinage.
They're real, so that's not a problem.
At this juncture, what do you think would be a good resale price "if" I were to sell them and buy the bars/eagles

I don't think that's possible now, unless you have a private buyer that was willing to pay you at least what you bought them for, otherwise you are going to lose money big time on the trade. The reason is you will have to pay premiums on whatever 999 you choose. If you lose money on the silver dollars you are getting hit twice on premiums so to speak.

Stay with the dollars you bought because in the future they could become the "in thing" and the premiums go way up, then you could sell them or trade, etc.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread