Bought some silver today

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Picked up some older private minted rounds that supposedly are made from silver from the strategic stockpile that the gov used to hold. I have seen them before and think they are kind of cool. Got some today for only 75 cents over spot.

For some reason Apmex sells these for 5 to 6 bucks over spot. I don't know why anybody would pay that much for these. Around here they are treated like slightly crappy generic.

1 oz U.S. Assay Office Silver Round .999 Fine

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Jim, those are one of my favorites along with the trade unit from Northwest mint with the scales on the back.
I also bought $27 worth of 90% today a little under spot and check out my video tomorrow as I will be opening some gold and silver that just arrived today. Lol

Here is the 90% lots of weak hands out there. Keep Stacking

Attachments

• 20140523_122714.jpg
    20140523_122714.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 183

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post got me to thinking about a comment I heard between two fellows at the barber shop.... In American silver coins of 1964 or earlier, one said they have exactly 90% silver. The other fellow said the actual percentage was 84% silver and it's being called 90%....

Thanks,

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Your post got me to thinking about a comment I heard between two fellows at the barber shop.... In American silver coins of 1964 or earlier, one said they have exactly 90% silver. The other fellow said the actual percentage was 84% silver and it's being called 90%....

Thanks,

No way that is true. Over all of the years tons of 90% has been melted. The refiners/melters (or whatever you call them), would have discovered this by now and we all would already know about it.

Just my opinion.

Jim

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Decided to buy a bit more today. Grabbed some various year silver proof state quarter sets at the rate of $15X face in original boxes and mint packaging. That's a bit pricey premium wise considering nice generic rounds can be had for 75 cents over spot, but I figure long term the official US Mint stuff in orig boxes has to be a good bet at this price. Online these things sell for a bit more.

Jim

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Went out today and got some US silver proof sets (early to mid 2000's) today. Paid $28.50 per set (set includes $1.85 face in proof 90% and also includes proof sacagewea, one or two nickels depending on year and a penny for free).

I think long term this stuff will do better than bullion and costs less than a new silver Maple per ounce. Nobody seems to be buying silver. Local store had more silver than you could believe with relatively low premiums. Maybe this crap is going to $14? Just kidding Charlie LOL!

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great price Jim. You got the silver at x15.5 and the other proofs free. Great deal.

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a 5oz bar the other day for .89 over spot.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Picked up some stuff one of my coin dealers was going to ship to the wholesaler. Got some common $1 US commemoratives for $18 each and some cool foreign silver proofs in fancy boxes and such (mostly from the Royal Mint and others) for melt (most of it is 92.5 which is pretty much hated here for some reason). I know I could sell them on ebay and make a nice return but would rather put the stuff away for my collection, plus I don't ebay.

Jim

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Local coin store was packed this morning. Saw some large gold purchases and such. I picked up some commemorative silver dollars with orig mint packaging for 3 bucks over melt. Mostly the more "common" issues but got some that I like: Lewis and Clark, Columbus, and some others.

Staying away from generic from now on. Too many good Chinese fakes out there to consider generic bars/rounds. Has anyone noticed some of the big private refiners are starting to put "security" features on their products?

As Charlie says, keep stacking!

Jim

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but Charlie right now is Selling some Gold. (16) 1/10 American Eagles $138.00 shipped on another forum. Lol

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Picked up a roll of BU 63 P Franklins today for 140. Wish I had more cash to spend but that was all I could grab.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also bought on flea bay from Apmex 3 rolls Silver Eagles at $385.00 a roll shipped. Yahoo!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a roll of BU 63 P Franklins today for 140. Wish I had more cash to spend but that was all I could grab.

Jim
Excellent price on those!
Waiting for $100 face 90% to be delivered @ 13.5.
LCS was too high @ 14.

If he could match i'd rather buy from him.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I also bought on flea bay from Apmex 3 rolls Silver Eagles at $385.00 a roll shipped. Yahoo!!!

I've been hitting the APMEX promotions on eBay also. In addition, I accumulate the eBay Bucks and roll them into numismatic coin purchases where I can bid with free money. The packing from APMEX is fantastic.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hitting the APMEX promotions on eBay also. In addition, I accumulate the eBay Bucks and roll them into numismatic coin purchases where I can bid with free money. The packing from APMEX is fantastic.

I was surprised that APMEX would send $209 worth of rounds with no insurance nor signature. Their "Sticky" package was delivered to a rural mailbox!

I thought Ebay required items over $200 to be insured or signed for?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I was surprised that APMEX would send $209 worth of rounds with no insurance nor signature. Their "Sticky" package was delivered to a rural mailbox!

I thought Ebay required items over $200 to be insured or signed for?

I've never got less than a roll from APMEX so I'm not sure how their packing is for smaller purchases. The ASE rolls that I receive are nested in foam mold that can accommodate additional rolls. Signature and Insurance is not required as far as eBay policy.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For once I might have timed the bottom just right. :laughing7:

Picked up 20 oz of OPM rounds and four 10 oz Silvertowne Donkey Bars.

Spot at time of purchase was $16.89

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Picked up a BU roll of 64 quarters for $135 today. They look great, wish he had more. I know they can push the price down tomorrow if they want, but I am starting to feel like the tide is going to turn (bullish) soon.

PS Looks like some heavy manipulation going on in oil. I don't believe that it is natural supply and demand forces in action.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions