Looks like they are making 10 ouncers now?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I knew about the 1 ozers, but now 10 ozers that in the photo at least look pretty good. Don't know if they got the right size dimensions or not.

I believe there will be a huge problem with counterfeit silver private mint marked rounds/bars if/when we get to higher priced silver. I have some generic from over the years, but will only get gov issued bullion/coins and have been for a while. You need to double check those as well, but at least there is an easy standard for size/weight/detailed artwork and even the particular "ring" sound the coins make.

Check out this example of the silver plated bars.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10-troy-ounce-silver-plated-bullion_1021426232.html

Jim

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I was pretty safe buying small denomination 90% US silver coins, and then Marchas45 posted a picture from Alibaba selling those too.....

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I thought I was pretty safe buying small denomination 90% US silver coins, and then Marchas45 posted a picture from Alibaba selling those too.....

I have seen those pictures too, but don't know if I have ever handled any fake 90%. I did once buy a fake silver dollar that once I looked at it spotted it right away. I was buying several off quality dollars at the time and missed it because it looked polished, like some of the real ones I was buying.

I don't like 90% junk now because the premiums are too high for me. I would rather get brand new eagles by the tube or low premium (if you can get them) commemorative US silver dollars (much lower mintages than silver eagles) than 90% junk unless it was halves in good shape. Real 90% junk silver at lower premiums than current though is a great buy.

PS I saw a good way to ring test junk coins without damaging them (still wouldn't do it to a numi coin though) by balancing the coin on the tip of your finger and take another coin and tap the one on your finger on the rim. The larger the coin the easier this is. If you have a stack of halves, etc, they should all sound very similar if not damaged or worn too much. Once you hear that sound over and over a fake should stick out.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm in a group buy for the Precious Metals Verifier which is a new gadget that detects fakes in PM's. A little pricey but well worth it in my opinion. I should have mine in a few weeks and I bought the Bullion model which has three wands. Top of the line and I intend renting it out in my area. Also better safe than sorry, By the way it does 90% also. Lol

Sigma Metalytics - Home

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a guy try to sell me 75~ fake APMEX 1 ounce bars the other day. They weighed 1.3 grams over a TO, and did not sound like silver. I'm sure it's hard to get the weight completely dead on, as well as useing a non magnetic metal.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the reason I love buying older US 90% coins rather than bars....way too many fakes out there

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're going to go from the majority of folks not knowing the value of PMs, to not trusting them, without ever passing through accepting PMs as currency - which is exactly what our handlers want.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
We're going to go from the majority of folks not knowing the value of PMs, to not trusting them, without ever passing through accepting PMs as currency - which is exactly what our handlers want.

The folks will know the value of PM's once they eventually go up in price and they hear their favorite celebrity talk about owning some. Until the powers that be decide to make PM's valuable again, we are stuck here. At least we have held above the June 2013 low so far.

What I didn't anticipate is how so many die hard PM bugs have given up because they thought silver would make them instant millionaires but instead watched the stock market make great gains over the past few years while PM's stagnated. Many posters here were calling for sub $15 which hasn't materialized either, yet.

In time people will see how paper assets can disintegrate in times of trouble but by then I imagine PM's will already be well on their way to levels that today we cannot imagine. The only question is will that day happen in a year or two or 50? The current world paper debt/money printing expansion cannot go on forever without an eventual bust/crash. At least it never has before.

My plan is to stash silver as a 401K so to speak but speculate (invest) very moderate amounts in other paper assets in an effort to reap profits to be able to buy more silver for long term. Once the stock markets really do correct it will be a once in a generation opportunity to profit on the way down. I missed most of the way up these past few years so hopefully I won't miss out when it falls. I am currently learning about and trading the VIX index, which is a very fast moving market.

Just my opinion.

Jim

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Trading the VIX, Jim? A true gambler at heart. If you can just tap into the collective consciousness of the investing public, you'll be a rich man!

Personally, i've lived through 2 once-in-a-generation opportunities to buy on the way down (1987 and 2009). I'm definitely not looking forward to the next one.

TCK

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Trading the VIX, Jim? A true gambler at heart. If you can just tap into the collective consciousness of the investing public, you'll be a rich man!

Personally, i've lived through 2 once-in-a-generation opportunities to buy on the way down (1987 and 2009). I'm definitely not looking forward to the next one.

TCK

I have been playing a 2X leveraged bull ETF that tracks the VIX. I only have a small position while I am still learning. As far as looking forward to a crash I don't think anyone is doing that. However, if you know or strongly believe a certain financial event(s) are going to take place, why not find a way to make a profit in the markets? In addition to stacking silver I need to stack more fiat.

For the stock markets, when they finally do start to correct TZA and SDOW.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread