Probably the wrong place but, smelting metals??

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about this. Not sure if I have the right word.I've been watching these guys melting metals into ingates and would like to learn some about this.
Do any of you do this? I just need some reference to info. I have about 600 # aluminum,100 copper and 20 # brass i'd like to "play with".If I melted it into bars,where would you sell it and how much would you increase the value over leaving it current form ai Can etc??
As I said I'm just playing with the idea but don't know where to get the info.
Thanks y'all!

Wade

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I would think it would not increase the value at all. Buyers don't care what it looks like, in fact it
would probably arouse suspicion.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
I know nothing about this. Not sure if I have the right word.I've been watching these guys melting metals into ingates and would like to learn some about this.
Do any of you do this? I just need some reference to info. I have about 600 # aluminum,100 copper and 20 # brass i'd like to "play with".If I melted it into bars,where would you sell it and how much would you increase the value over leaving it current form ai Can etc??
As I said I'm just playing with the idea but don't know where to get the info.
Thanks y'all!

Wade
It will decrease the value as buyers will not know the content of your private ingot and will have to assay it.
If you count the cost of heat and time to smelt it you definitely come out behind! However, it can be fun, and dangerous!!!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread