Swiss referendum could spark worldwide gold rush

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Swiss referendum could spark worldwide 'gold rush'

Fears that ?dangerous? Switzerland referendum could spark gold rush | World news | The Guardian

Mark Leibovit

Poll could force Swiss central bank to triple reserves, leading to price of gold soaring on international markets, experts say

Gold-bars-012.jpg

The Swiss like referendums: there were 11 last year and there have been nine more this year, on subjects ranging from who pays for abortions to whether the state should buy a certain type of new fighter aircraft.

This Sunday there are three more, but one has attracted more attention than most – because there are fears that if it wins majority support it could trigger a worldwide gold rush.

Five million Swiss voters are to decide on a proposal that would force the central bank to triple its gold reserves. The vote is being watched closely by financial markets and governments around the world.

Under the “Save Our Swiss Gold” initiative the Swiss National Bank (SNB) would be obliged to hold at least a fifth of its assets in gold within five years. The bank would be required to repatriate all Swiss gold held abroad and be banned from selling any of its holdings in future.

A fifth of Switzerland’s 1,040 tonnes of gold reserves are held with The Bank of England and nearly a third with the Canadian Central Bank.

The organisers say they are motivated by wanting “security and independence for Switzerland in times of uncertainty”. They argue a policy change is necessary because attempts to constrain the strength of the Swiss franc to boost national exports have meant the SNB has too many euros at a time when that currency is losing value.

The slogan for the initiative – which has gripped Switzerland and been displayed on posters showing hands holding a grinning piggy bank decorated with the Swiss flag – urges voters to “protect the people’s wealth” by voting yes.

Its supporters come from the populist right-wing Swiss People’s party (SVP), which says in its mission statement: “Most Swiss don’t even know that part of the nation’s gold is stored abroad and that the SNB has already sold over half of the gold reserves.”

Switzerland, a country with a strong tradition of refining and trading gold, has the highest gold reserves per inhabitant of any country, equivalent to four ounces a head. For many this remains insufficient.

If the Swiss vote yes on Monday, the SNB would be required to buy 1,500 tonnes of gold over the next five years, the equivalent of almost 70% of the global gold mined every year. Experts say the gold price would soar. “It would be an unforgettable day for the precious metal industry,” according to German business analyst Michael Schröder.

Ahead of the vote the Swiss franc has risen to a two-year high. But support in the referendum has been waning as it draws nearer, with a poll a week ago suggesting only 38% were in favour, down from 42% last month.

The debate has underlined the emotional and arguably romantic pull of the precious metal in an age where less tangible assets dominate.

“Gold continues to trigger impetuous and irrational reactions in many people,” Sergio Rossi, professor of macroeconomics and monetary economics at Fribourg University, told the Swiss news agency SDA.

Others say it has rather emphasised the flaws in the monetary system. “It has shown just how unsustainable the debt-based monetary system we have is,” said Koos Jansen, an Amsterdam-based gold analyst for the Singaporean precious-metal dealer BullionStar.

“The Swiss initiative is merely part of a increasing global scramble towards gold and away from the endless printing of money. Huge movements of gold are going on right now. Recently the Dutch repatriated 122 tons, Germany is bringing home its gold from the US, whilst the Bric countries are accumulating large quantities of it for their banks.

“While those behind the Swiss initiative have often been portrayed as crazy, they’re merely acting out of fear that their central bank is losing control of its monetary policy, and of the Swiss franc being sucked into this currency war and losing its value,” he said.

Switzerland left the gold standard only in 1999, the last country in the world to do so. “They regret what they did and want to get back to the safety of gold, especially in the current environment,” Jansen added.

The SNB chairman, Thomas Jordan, has warned of “dangerous” consequences if the vote goes through, arguing that if the bank were forced to boost its gold reserves, its costs would increase exponentially and its ability to move within the currency market would be severely hindered, putting its credibility at stake.

“The initiative is dangerous because it would weaken the SNB,” he told an audience near Zurich last week. “The connection between a minimum share and a ban on selling which it embraces would very severely impair our monetary policy room for manoeuvre.”

He added that the initiative was in danger of destabilising one of the SNB’s main policies of not letting the euro weaken below 1.20 Swiss francs, which was introduced in an attempt to protect exporters as the Swiss currency gained strength against the troubled euro.

Opponents of the initiative argue the bank would no longer be able to sell gold in the event of a crisis and so its gold reserves would no longer be considered a reserve in the traditional sense.

But others say if Switzerland were to hold 20% of its assets in gold it would be better protected from the volatility of the currency markets. “The central bank would lose flexibility but long term it would bring the country more stability,” said Jansen.

Sunday’s votes have also called into question Switzerland’s status as one of the most business-friendly countries in the world. The other two proposals to be voted on have sent jitters through the corporate world.

The most controversial, initiated by a leftist-Green group called Ecopop, would restrict immigration to 0.2% of the resident population.

A further proposal would abolish the flat tax system which benefits rich foreigners who choose to live in Switzerland.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More signs that at some point things
good or bad may seriously hit the fan :laughing7:

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The pure fact there is a referendum is quite interesting all by itself. Certainly won't diminish the value of gold.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh by the way, I was stationed at Ft. Carson, CO from '71 to '74, home of the 4th Infantry Division. Co B, 124th signal battalion...........Rich

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poll could force Swiss central bank to triple reserves, leading to price of gold soaring on international markets, experts say.......
Well it's about time!
I just LOOKED at pm prices today, for the first time, in a long time. OMG, I may be broke! :BangHead: :laughing7: j/k :laughing7:
At least I'm not holding paper metals or need the cash. :tongue3:

I gotta go back and read more............. :read2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh by the way, I was stationed at Ft. Carson, CO from '71 to '74, home of the 4th Infantry Division. Co B, 124th signal battalion...........Rich

I was assigned to the 4th from October '69 till they pulled out of Vietnam in November '70, then reassigned to the First Field Force Vietnam till I ETS'd March '71

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was assigned to the 4th from October '69 till they pulled out of Vietnam in November '70, then reassigned to the First Field Force Vietnam till I ETS'd March '71

I figured you were a Vietnam Vet. You're a few years older than me. I got drafted in Feb 71, when they were pulling out of Vietnam, so I didn't have to go. I salute you :icon_thumright:.

BTW, early results from the voters on the Swiss Gold Referendum is 78% NO 22% YES They are saying "its doomed". No gold rush today! They say the "NO" vote is already factored in current silver prices, but I don't believe it. Watch gold and silver dive when the markets open at 6pm EST. (Just my opinion). Here's the link Swiss Gold Referendum: Results and Analysis » SNB & CHF

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I figured you were a Vietnam Vet. You're a few years older than me. I got drafted in Feb 71, when they were pulling out of Vietnam, so I didn't have to go. I salute you :icon_thumright:.

BTW, early results from the voters on the Swiss Gold Referendum is 78% NO 22% YES They are saying "its doomed". No gold rush today! They say the "NO" vote is already factored in current silver prices, but I don't believe it. Watch gold and silver dive when the markets open at 6pm EST. (Just my opinion). Here's the link Swiss Gold Referendum: Results and Analysis » SNB & CHF

Sunday nights are usually when they knock silver and gold no matter what other events are going on, because it is a time when there is less trading going on (thin trading). By noon on Monday we will see the results, if any.

I believe that everyone knew that the Swiss vote would be a no (big traders such as those who move the paper markets) and that fact alone won't matter re: silver and gold prices. They smacked it down last week and didn't need a no Swiss vote for that. Of course if the price does get further smacked down they can say it was from the vote but nobody (except the usual online PM bug writers/pundits) acted like it would really pass. Just like the pundits who have been saying the Comex will be depleted soon (they have been predicting that for years and it never seems to happen).

I believe that when we do finally get back to a huge PM bull market move, it will take all (but those at the very top) by surprise and won't be telegraphed for weeks in advance due to some "vote" somewhere.

Actually the "NO" vote is good for PM's long term, in that it signals that even the Swiss have been conditioned to reject what was money for 5000 years and to accept paper substitutes. The only question is how long till the cycle reverts back towards PM's as hard assets (there will never be a truly "backed and convertible" currency.) I don't mean people using PM's as money, but holding them as assets like fine art and land, etc.

PS If it wasn't for the fact I have actual hard assets from my PM addiction, I would have to say I am not much different than the poor misguided folks that gamble each week buying "Dinar" and are waiting for some type of revaluation or something. I have a friend whose mom buys some type of Dinar options I am guessing which promises millions in returns for an $80 or so position that expires in a matter of weeks. I don't understand how all that works but it seems like quite a bogus situation. I told him to try and get her hooked on silver instead and she won't have any of it. LOL

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Rich,

Looks like you are right. Kitco says silver is now $14.69 down $1.51. That is just normal market action I am sure.

Jim

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,

Looks like you are right. Kitco says silver is now $14.69 down $1.51. That is just normal market action I am sure.

Jim

Yea Jim, it might rebound a little bit, but I think tomorrow will be another big sell-off. .......................Rich

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been checking silver dollars on eBay for about 6 weeks with the dive from the $20's. They remain near their previous selling prices.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Looks like silver and gold have recovered for now. No 14 dollar silver today at the coin store. Already back over 16. Maybe they are setting it up for another slam down?

Jim

AtulVajpayee

Dec 6, 2014
India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely, Swiss referendum sparks the 'gold rush' worldwide and it will helps to specially the small inverters who want to invest in Gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread