Nibbled at current price

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
J IV AG, I happened to go to a coin show in Mpls (Minneapolis, Mn) last Sunday (170 miles round trip) and I saw a 2014 Aussie coin with a Crocodile on it. It is the "Australian Saltwater Crocodile" .999 silver 1 oz coin.....an amazing coin. The croc is proof with a reverse proof background. I purchased it for $24.....$8 over spot. Now I wish I purchased 2 of them. At coin shops, there is a 7.5% sales tax whereas at shows, the dealer assumes the tax, so I figured I saved an additional $1.80 buy buying at a show.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
J IV AG, I happened to go to a coin show in Mpls (Minneapolis, Mn) last Sunday (170 miles round trip) and I saw a 2014 Aussie coin with a Crocodile on it. It is the "Australian Saltwater Crocodile" .999 silver 1 oz coin.....an amazing coin. The croc is proof with a reverse proof background. I purchased it for $24.....$8 over spot. Now I wish I purchased 2 of them. At coin shops, there is a 7.5% sales tax whereas at shows, the dealer assumes the tax, so I figured I saved an additional $1.80 buy buying at a show.

Those are neat coins. I will probably pick one up if I see one at the local stores. I can't imagine paying sales tax on silver/gold. Do you have to pay sales tax if you buy from an online dealer?

Jim

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I live in Minnesota and last yr the legislators passed a law that all dealers that attends more than 2 shows a yr and have sales MORE than $5000, have to be bonded due to ONE coin dealer in Minnesota cheated many people out of millions by selling coins that were told were a very high grade and they were easily a few grades lower. This new law really hurt the dealers state wide. The show I attend always had around 50 dealer tables. I've been to this same show 2 times since the new law. The next show I attended had 24 tables, and last Sunday they only had 20 dealer tables.I have over 400 eBay purchases and I never paid tax on any purchase. I also hit pawn shops for coins and there might have been 15 items (Coins) over the last 1-1/2 yrs that I DIDN'T buy due to the 7.5% sales tax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread