Where to buy silver? Best/Worst?

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Competitively shop Ron's Coins, Eastern Iowa Coins, Westdale Coins and Liberty Safe and Coins stores in Cedar Rapids; but don't buy in this descending market (look at the chart going back five years)--IMO.
Don.......

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for comments. Sorting through APMEX, Silvertowne, JM Bullion and Provident Metals sites.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best site and yes site for buying and selling PM's by far, is BullionStacker.com ? Index page be aware newbee's, you will have to pay or send your items first but no one has been burnt yet. Keep Stacking and Merry Christmas

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Provident charges for shipping

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question, Is it safe to use the check, it safes money but would like to know if thats the way to go when buying

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question, Is it safe to use the check, it safes money but would like to know if thats the way to go when buying

The only way I pay through provident is via check. No problems in 3 years and a dozen+ orders.

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't bought huge amounts from Provident so I always just pay by credit card and accept the 3% fee. The way I look at it is that I am buying PM's for the long haul to give my kids and grandkids some day. Whether I paid $16 or $16.48 per ounce (on a relatively small purchase) isn't going to matter one bit 30 years from now.

With that said, if I was making a large purchase (over $5000) then I would send a check. My point is that I read a lot of comments from people online who spend countless hours searching and calculating trying to find the absolute best deal they can get (sometimes from less than reputable sources) just so that they can get silver for $15.95 instead of $16.00. When they are done they order 5 ounces or so and spend less than $100. In the end, was it really worth it to do all of that work to save 25 cents? Probably not.

So I think that you have to look at how much you are ordering, what your investing/stacking strategy is, and how much risk you are willing to take. For me and my strategy, paying with a credit card for a couple hundred dollars worth of silver from a reputable online dealer is a no brainer. My time (and getting my PM's sooner) is more valuable than what I would save by writing a check. But if I was buying much more I'd take the time to write the check and save the 3%.

So as usual, it isn't black and white.... All just my opinion.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Bradley MDCCXIX, good advice. I do the same as you when purchasing from the net. I also go to many coin shows where one can barter. At the shows I pay cash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread