sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking of jumping into stacking and would like to know from you guys who are experienced. it looks like a good time to buy as silver dipped a little. I will be in it for the long haul, giving my children options on what to do with it when I am gone. I see places mentioned provident, Silvertowne, Ampex, Jim Bullion, are all good places to buy. If I missed a contact, please inform me.From my searches Silvertowne is the highest place to buy right now. I would just like some good or bad advice, I read there are mixed feelings about purchasing silver, but this is why America is the only place to live, Freedom of Speech. Just don't take the free part in the word "Freedom" to lightly. I am anxiously waiting to hear some feedback, Thank You and Happy New Year

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on what kind of investing you are looking to get into. If you are just in it for silver then silver bars and ignots and bullion will be fine for simply stock piling silver. When you get into coins and silver it can get a little mor complicated as coins do carry silver value they can also carry collector value too. Say you buy a 1928 p peace dollar its composition is 90% silver which is i believe like .772 of an oz. But its collector value is worth far more than its silver content collector value on a coin like that can range andwhere from $325 to upwards of $800 roughly depending on the grade. Like I said it is all in what you are looking to invest your money in and how you want to invest it. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes , it made me think about the coin value going up without the silver option involved. I have a few cashiers looking out for me , to get certain coins for me to safe. I did find out yesterday, I have a large jug on penny's and the copper penny's are starting to disappear. I may have started a little late saving copper penny's, I do not buy, I just get whats out there in circulation, so I am not aggressive. I use a scale to get the copper coins out of the pile, much faster then trying to read each date, I checked this method a couple of times and the scale does not lie. I am just concerned with the ratio of the copper dates on penny's. All these newer coins that are dropped in the dirt today, will dissolve in 10 years. I have found some coins only a couple of years old taken out of the ground and they are in bad shape.

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just interested in stockpiling silver, then there really is no difference between bars or rounds.

Although junk silver coins may seem to have some numismatic value, there is tons of it out there. So in reality, the only way to get more numismatically for junk silver is to sell it a little at a time to people who really don't know any better. By the time you do that, you won't make any more on it than the plain silver value anyway. Junk silver is called junk silver for a reason. So although you can make a case for buying junk silver because it is harder to counterfeit or that it is recognizable, any additional value here is really negligible in my opinion.

True numismatic items like better peace dollars and such do come at a premium. But you never know if that premium is going to hold up. Back in the '80s a lot of people lost a lot of money on numismatic items. You'd want to do some serious research to see if now is a good time to buy those types of silver coins.

My opinion is to buy what you like. Some people like stacking bars, some like junk silver for the historical aspect, and some like numismatic items. Me? I like them all so I have some of each. I am very much like you in that I intend to hand this stuff to my grandkids some day. So what will they enjoy having? A whole bunch of the same thing? Or a whole bunch of different things? I personally enjoy looking at lots of different types of silver rather than a bunch of just one thing. That's what makes it fun to me.

Good luck.

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the pennies, I sort mine using one of my metal detectors. One pass over the coil quickly tells me the composition regardless of how dirty it is. I can sort them as quickly as I can run them over the coil (which is pretty fast).

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am thinking of jumping into stacking and would like to know from you guys who are experienced. it looks like a good time to buy as silver dipped a little. I will be in it for the long haul, giving my children options on what to do with it when I am gone. I see places mentioned provident, Silvertowne, Ampex, Jim Bullion, are all good places to buy. If I missed a contact, please inform me.From my searches Silvertowne is the highest place to buy right now. I would just like some good or bad advice, I read there are mixed feelings about purchasing silver, but this is why America is the only place to live, Freedom of Speech. Just don't take the free part in the word "Freedom" to lightly. I am anxiously waiting to hear some feedback, Thank You and Happy New Year

You are gonna get lots of different ideas but here are mine. Stick to gov minted silver that you know is real. China is pumping out real looking silver bars that are fake. I have seen (and bought) these at my local shops a while back. Now they know to catch them but at first the one ounce'rs looked real enough. I have posted some links on what the fakes are like.

I would stick to silver eagles, silver maples, etc. Junk silver is good but check the premiums. For a while you could get new maples for less than circulated junk US silver.

PS I don't know if the pictures they are using to advertise the fakes are actual pictures of the "real" thing or the "fake" thing, but the fakes I bought (Johnson Matthey knock offs) were one ounce bars and each bar was in a hard plastic single case and they looked perfect to me when I bought them. Back then, most of the fake one ounce bars I saw were in those hard plastic one ounce cases. The fakes of the US made bullion that I have seen were so easy to detect I was not ever worried about buying one of them and I haven't seen many of those at all.

Shop silver bullion online - Buy silver bullion for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

How about this one?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mix-...hard-Silvertowne-Silver-Plated/918434629.html

If they look as good in real life as in that picture, I will guarantee you there are lots of new silver buyers out there holding these.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not going to buy until I know the scoop. I already read about the German silver. I will be very careful as money these days does not come easy. I like the idea Bradley has about the kids looking at different pieces. Iam going very slow and I am only going to buy from the names I mentioned

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy silver bars or coin from JM BULLION and have had great success. Free shipping is great too. Make sure to check out the sale section too. They usually have great deals there with a very low premium. The only catch with JM Bullion is that there is a $100 minimum.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for all your help, Happy new year to you all and I wish the best of days to you all.........Pete

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are just interested in stockpiling silver, then there really is no difference between bars or rounds.

Although junk silver coins may seem to have some numismatic value, there is tons of it out there. So in reality, the only way to get more numismatically for junk silver is to sell it a little at a time to people who really don't know any better. By the time you do that, you won't make any more on it than the plain silver value anyway. Junk silver is called junk silver for a reason. So although you can make a case for buying junk silver because it is harder to counterfeit or that it is recognizable, any additional value here is really negligible in my opinion.

True numismatic items like better peace dollars and such do come at a premium. But you never know if that premium is going to hold up. Back in the '80s a lot of people lost a lot of money on numismatic items. You'd want to do some serious research to see if now is a good time to buy those types of silver coins.

My opinion is to buy what you like. Some people like stacking bars, some like junk silver for the historical aspect, and some like numismatic items. Me? I like them all so I have some of each. I am very much like you in that I intend to hand this stuff to my grandkids some day. So what will they enjoy having? A whole bunch of the same thing? Or a whole bunch of different things? I personally enjoy looking at lots of different types of silver rather than a bunch of just one thing. That's what makes it fun to me.

Good luck.

How about gold nuggets, They look pretty cool to add to a collection, Paper money I find boring, but thats just me. I have a site I belong to and bought some nuggets years ago. Nothing huge, I just wanted a few to see where my metal detector hits on them. But I am thinking of buying some more

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about gold nuggets, They look pretty cool to add to a collection, Paper money I find boring, but thats just me. I have a site I belong to and bought some nuggets years ago. Nothing huge, I just wanted a few to see where my metal detector hits on them. But I am thinking of buying some more

I don't know much about nuggets. But if you like them, then get what you like. I think it would be neat to have a small pile of them to show off. I don't have much gold because I'm more of a silver bug. But I do have a few gold coins that I bought for myself and my kids. I like unusual things so I'm more likely to buy nuggets, Mexican gold, and Sovereigns than I am to buy American Eagles. But that's just me.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess thats the key, buy what you would enjoy and don't worry about the values. That will take care of itself

AtulVajpayee

Dec 6, 2014
India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey

First of all you take the very good decision. Silver is a precious metal and day by day its price will increase.

In my opinion you have to invest in Coin.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The SHTF conspirists say avoid a leaving a paper trail when buying PM's, as to avoid possible gov confiscation or taxation...cash deals only.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as government taking any of my funds. I used all of it is my answer. How can you use cash when you live in the boonies. So if I am buying from any of the big guys, how should I go about doing it where no one knows. I would like to know some of the ins and outs, You can PM me also as I am listening

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey

First of all you take the very good decision. Silver is a precious metal and day by day its price will increase.

In my opinion you have to invest in Coin.

For the past two years the price hasn't "increased day by day"....

Beanie Babies, Cabbage Patch Dolls, and Tulips used to be "precious" too. Now don't get me wrong.... I'm not classifying silver and gold like some fad. After all, silver and gold have thousands of years of convention and decree backing them up as precious (along with many other factors like true scarcity). But what is precious today may not seem AS precious tomorrow. Gold today does not seem as precious to the general public as it did in 2012 for example.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
My opinion and only worth what you paid for it.. Silver is Silver and the value fluctuates roughly the same amount regardless of what form of it you buy other than rare or pristine coins which have an added numismatic value. Some believe the economy might go belly up and some don't. I'm middle of the road on that whole subject. For this reason and also because I like holding history in my hand, I like pre-1964 90% US Silver coins. If the whole paper money system stays stable you still have the Silver value. If it goes to crap coins are much easier to spend, make change, etc. to exchange for goods & services. I would rather have a bag of Walking Liberty halves or common date Morgan dollars than a stack of freshly minted rounds but that's just me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally feel safer buying us silver coins or junk silver..way to many fakes that look good

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Investing in coin?? Is this coin thats minted by different company's, or real american silver coins that are 90% silver?

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also see gold coins that are 22 caret, Is this the standard??I don't want to buy junk silver. I have lots of that fro metal detecting and finding in loose change through the years. In the 70's when I got out of the Army, I took a job in a junk yard, Supposedly a program to get coming home vets a job. Any ways, when ripping out the backseats of the cars I would find silver all the time. My wife was a collector and I gave them to her. The loot will probably go to my kids when we are gone. So I don't have lots of junk silver, I am just not attracted to it. I really like when I find a silver coin when I am metal detecting. But research takes lots of time and work. I have found asking people that have a back yard, silver comes faster when detecting their yards. But I was curious about the 22 caret and is that the standard when buying gold coins?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread