TV Ads and APMEX pricing....Where are they going and why?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw an ad on a little dish channel for selling Eagles just today. They were really hawking the price of about $22 plus Shipping Handling.....The guy was really pressing the viewers to buy 10 up to 100 of them at a time....

On EBay's APMEX sales, Feb. 8th, I've seen 10 the Buffalos for $185 w/free shipping, then just last Friday night, they had Eagles at 5 for $102 w/free shipping.

I can't seem to get a feel as to what's going on with this type of action. If silver is projected to soar, why is so much physical silver being sold? Or, is it that silver is going down to the low double digits and the surplus bullion coins are being sold. Could it be so the sellers are taking their cash currency now and purchasing those things that will become highly expensive before inflation comes knocking?

How do you see these actions?

Bill

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Saw an ad on a little dish channel for selling Eagles just today. They were really hawking the price of about $22 plus Shipping Handling.....The guy was really pressing the viewers to buy 10 up to 100 of them at a time....

On EBay's APMEX sales, Feb. 8th, I've seen 10 the Buffalos for $185 w/free shipping, then just last Friday night, they had Eagles at 5 for $102 w/free shipping.

I can't seem to get a feel as to what's going on with this type of action. If silver is projected to soar, why is so much physical silver being sold? Or, is it that silver is going down to the low double digits and the surplus bullion coins are being sold. Could it be so the sellers are taking their cash currency now and purchasing those things that will become highly expensive before inflation comes knocking?

How do you see these actions?

Bill

Bill,

Not sure I understand your question, but I think Apmex and other coin dealers make their profits based on how much they sell volume wise, which has nothing to do with the underlying price of the commodity. As long as they move products they make a profit no matter what the price of the commodity is. Most likely as PM's go up in price, they tend to get more attention and people buy more. so the stores make more profits but it is due to volume sold not commodity price per se.

It does seem though like sometimes they have big sales right before the prices drop.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed everytime the big companies have their sales the spot price goes down afterwards. They have something we don't have. Inside information. LMAO Keep Stacking

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... If silver is projected to soar ...

Who said silver is projected to soar? Why are they saying that it is going to soar? Is it the typical Silver Bull fallacies or does this person have some REAL insight into why the price is going to go up? If it is the latter then I'd like to know their reasoning. I have yet to see anyone give a credible reason as to why silver should be above $16. Without the fear mongering I see no condition that indicates that silver should be anywhere near where the Silver Bulls say it should be.

If the fear goes away, how low will the price of silver go? Just because you think people SHOULD be afraid doesn't mean that they will be. And if people aren't afraid, then the price isn't going to go to where the Silver Bulls say it should be. The Silver Bulls can go on and on about "fiat", "derivatives", "cartels", "manipulation", and other stuff that people potentially SHOULD be afraid of. But if they aren't afraid, then any price projections based on those potential "catastrophes" simply aren't going to come true. People get tired of being afraid and start moving on with their lives. And that has been going on for the past three years.

As to what the dealers are doing... who knows? We had a small rise in the price recently. Perhaps they are trying to capitalize on it. It seems that the higher the price goes, the more they advertise. But I really couldn't say for certain.

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

To answer your question, retail silver sellers make a living selling at a profitable margin, ie... they're not in the business of investing or speculating, but are in the business of buying inventory at wholesale prices, or less, and selling at inflated retail prices. These are not buy and hold businesses. That's what I think you're seeing here.

I agree with Bradley in one respect, I don't think the mainstream investment community projects silver to soar. In my opinion, the "silver is projected to soar" types are either wishful thinkers, fear mongers, or those that benefit from convincing others to buy.

Me? I'm a periodic buyer, partially as part of a balanced portfolio philosophy, partly as a hedge against the unknown (the two reasons are not mutually exclusive). I hold long-term and expect silver to increase in value over time. Short-term, prices are going lower is my guess.

TCK

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who said silver is projected to soar? Why are they saying that it is going to soar/QUOTE]

It's either the ones who are selling it, or the ones like Jim Rickard, Paul Craig Roberts, Peter Schiff, etc., commenting from the Financial Collapse arena. The only hope I have is picking up of bits of a common thread across the Web that tends to indicate something is going to change, and learning about it without paying out hundreds/thousands of dollars for one person's private subscriber "Newsletter".

I've read where the majority of the production of silver in the U.S. comes from the mining and processing of copper. If demand/production is down for copper, and the smaller silver mining companies are producing all they can, then less silver will be on the market and in a time when physical silver would be needed to cover the "paper silver" plus the demands of scared investors and bank depositors.....

I like the comment of an article last year from the free side of a publication called "Weekly Peak Prosperity Newsletter" of what a day in a financial collapse would look like. It went something like: "Like it looks Now, but Worse." Will PM's be needed in the a future transition time here in the U.S.A. when our economy will be dealing with the "Big Boys" of China's and Russia's currencies being back by their national reserves of gold and silver?....

Being raised on a small Texas 160 acre dry-land farm, I've still have some common sense roots... Today, it applies to dealing with the stress of being sure one doesn't put all your eggs in one basket that still seems to ring true. As for me, I'm just looking to have enough eggs... and hopefully, the ones with "double yokes"....

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed everytime the big companies have their sales the spot price goes down afterwards. They have something we don't have. Inside information. LMAO Keep Stacking

And boy is it happening. Lol Silver down a Buck and Gold 17 see they knew something was happening and it was:

The March silver option expiration is one week from today with a sweet spot under $17 and near $16.50.
Then two days later comes contract expiry with OI near 171,000.
So there's a lot more nonsense to come (From a Friend). Keep Stacking
and by the way, (from another Friend) A 40 buck move down one morning late 2008, just before QE was announced, when in 1 hour gold gained back the 40 plus another 40, and hui i recall climbed 15%. Maybe we have hopes. LMAO Time to stack again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread