Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Saw this article about Apple using metric tons of gold to produce an 18kt model of the iWatch.
Interesting to think about the consumption rate....

TidBITS: How Much Gold Will the Apple Watch Edition Consume?

Bill

Bill,

I saw that yesterday. Most stories quote the one you posted. I found another article that has some different info. My article says it would use 1 troy ounce per watch and the others I saw said 2. I doubt they would use 2 oz that would be too heavy and the watch doesn't look that big. But, if Apple makes a bunch of these and they sell as well as other Apple products, it could cause a statistically significant amount of gold to be pulled from the market. Due to what will probably be a hefty price tag I don't think joe public will want one. But Apple addicts with extra cash might go for them.

Should be an interesting story to follow. I don't see how they would take 1/3 of the market's gold or whatever it is they are saying though. From what I found online, roughly 2500 metric tons of gold is mined per year worldwide. That is roughly 80+ million ounces. So even if they did use an ounce per watch, I doubt they would sell 27 million gold watches per year.

Just my opinion.

What will the Apple Watch Edition cost? Jewelry and watch people weigh in | 9to5Mac

Jim

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim two oz's on yor wrist or even three is not that heavy and especially for the younger generation that could afford one with all it's technoligy that it will have. Hell they even decided against using some other programs on it. It will be something to see if it becomes a reality. Keep Stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread