What do You Think About American Silver Eagles?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you think about them??

Some people think that they command to much premium over spot. Others think that they are not for stackers and are just "fancy" bullion that command to much. On the other hand people say that there is a bigger market for them, beyond just stackers. Some people tend to trust them more too.

What do you think?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
What do you think about them??

Some people think that they command to much premium over spot. Others think that they are not for stackers and are just "fancy" bullion that command to much. On the other hand people say that there is a bigger market for them, beyond just stackers. Some people tend to trust them more too.

What do you think?

You will get a variety of answers here. Some say "silver is silver" and I used to say that because that is what I heard the online "pundits" say a lot so I figured it must be correct. That was years before Chinese fakes of generics that look real started popping up all over.

I like many of the gov made bullion coins like ASEs, Maples, Libertads, Kooks, etc, because I believe they are much harder to fake due to the detailed art work and maybe the counterfeiters are a bit more reluctant to make better copies of them for fear of gov action against them. I say that because the fakes of gov bullion I have seen look like crap compared to real coins. So I don't know if it is ineptitude on the part of the counterfeiters or intentional. But that doesn't apply to generic bars/rounds. I have purchased some fake generic bars a couple years ago I have been into this crap for almost 10 years fairly hard core. So a newbie would have to really be up on how to spot them or would be completely dependent on their coin dealer giving them real stuff. I bought mine at a well respected local dealer and the workers really had no clue (that's what I tell myself at least).

I think though 3.50 over is too much for bullion and that is about what my local stores charge for an ASE. Some online dealers have specials at 2.25 over spot any quantity and such and that is a good deal if shipping is not too high. I have bought more Maples than ASEs because they are generally a buck or more cheaper locally and are still gov made official bullion, etc.

Even if a person buys genuine generic, what will happen someday down the road when that person goes to sell and there are millions of fakes? You think the coin dealer/buyer will prefer that generic? I have a hard time believing that if silver is at $50 an ounce the premium for gov bullion will be only 2 bucks or so more for ASE's vs. gereric bullion. I may be wrong but I think the premiums for ASEs will be even greater proportionately in the future than now if silver goes much higher. Say for example spot for generic and 10 bucks over for an ASE, etc.

One caveat to all this is if a person wants to buy a huge amount and flip it (not hold longer term) and said person can get generic at spot or close to it. In that case it would be worth the "gamble" to load up on the generic because they would get perhaps 15 to 20 percent more silver and would probably get a higher profit on a short term or mid term sale due to the spreads. I plan to hold my metals until I am desperate for cash or they go to my heirs, or silver hits $100 or more (I'll dump 25 to 50 percent of the stash at that price), whichever comes first.

If a person only has say a couple hundred ounces of silver to their name, does it really matter if they saved a buck or two on generic? I don't think so.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all makes and sizes of Silver Bars, Rounds, Coins and 90% Consitutional. To me as a prior coin collector, it will all be just Silver to me if and when the SWHTF but again that's just me. Lol Keep Stacking

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The ASE's are cool. But the Maple is a thing of beauty :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread