Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some might think silver is a bad bet, but how about this investment as a sure fire way to lose money. You actually know going into it.

Bonds with negative yields.

Swiss Government Becomes First Ever To Issue 10Y Debt At A Negative Yield | Zero Hedge

Jim

Yea I seen that Jim. Pay us and we will protect your Fiat. Lol What a scam. Silver got hit today and I need to sell some now to do some work around the house. No fun when you loose but what the hell I'll make it back up. Lol

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
While I wait for silver to finally bottom out at less than 12, I sit on AT and T paying about 5.75%.
Don...

Dividends are great, but you gotta make sure you don't lose your capital. Depending on when you bought, AT and T is down a bit.

Good luck on that 12 price. LOL

Jim

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Take a look at AT and T's price history for the last three + years and you'll see stability. Also check out their dividend payout history. What AT and T has traded off is it's elasticity to the market (appreciation) for a constant price and ever increasing dividends. To me, that's a good position to be in while I wait for silver to drop--even if it doesn't. No doubt other investment choices have performed equally well or better than AT and T; but I'm content with their dividend.
Don....

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Take a look at AT and T's price history for the last three + years and you'll see stability. Also check out their dividend payout history. What AT and T has traded off is it's elasticity to the market (appreciation) for a constant price and ever increasing dividends. To me, that's a good position to be in while I wait for silver to drop--even if it doesn't. No doubt other investment choices have performed equally well or better than AT and T; but I'm content with their dividend.
Don....

Don,

You made a smart call with the AT and T. The past few years have been great for stocks and I missed the boat, although I have made good returns in stocks before that (before I got bit by the PM bug). I paid off a good part of my student loans years ago with gains I made in penny stocks. Then all the sudden the gravy train ended and my calls started to be bad so I got out of those.

I don't feel comfortable putting money into stocks now, but with the FED action, low rates, etc, where they are I suppose dow 20000 could be here down the road.

Jim

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
The Dow 20K level is no big reach from here. 13-14 months of historically average returns would get us there. It will happen, no doubt, but maybe not in the next 13-14 months. I expect a market correction soon, but not nearly as deep as the 2000 or 2008 levels.

As far as silver is concerned, I've probably bought more than I should have in the $16-20 range, but still have an itch for a roll of 2015 Maple Leafs. I have a specific price in mind and will probably execute when/if it gets there. After that, I'm more on board with Don, in that I will wait for deeper price drops before adding to the stack.

As I've said before, I work to keep my investments diversified, and when it comes to PMs, prefer silver over gold.

TCK

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hate to say it but Verizon is paying better dividends. That said, I'm vested 100% in ATT stock (employee).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
PRONGHORN --YOU NEVER HEARD OF AT AND T ? --THE PHONE COMPANY --AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH ( A T & T ) :icon_scratch:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
both beat the banks "saving rates" of 1/2 % or less.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even find silver to stack. The local shops either aren't getting it in or are hoarding it themselves, which is hard to believe since turning it is their business. My last purchase was for junk silver coins since that's all they had.

I guess my only option is to go online for it.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I can't even find silver to stack. The local shops either aren't getting it in or are hoarding it themselves, which is hard to believe since turning it is their business. My last purchase was for junk silver coins since that's all they had.

I guess my only option is to go online for it.

Jason,

That is strange because right now wholesale premiums are dirt cheap on generic silver. I spoke the other day to one of my local guys who runs a "smaller" shop, and he was complaining that nobody is selling to him (due to lower price in spot market), so he has to buy wholesale to sell in the store. He said he can buy bars from refiners (he didn't say which one, but I know he has alot of NTR bars) for 40 cents or so over spot. He will then sell them for $1.75 or so over per ounce. He says he sells a decent amount at that price. He is in a smaller town with no real competition so he can charge a bit more. But if he was buying from sellers directly he could make more profit.

All the local stores I go to have display cases loaded with generic silver bars/rounds, ASEs and Maples, etc, so it is strange to me your stores don't have anything. I know some guys that sell in antique malls, etc, and will pull inventory during certain price swings, but right now whatever they sell can be replaced cheaper from a wholesaler, so there is no reason to hold back metals. And I don't consider these antique mall guys I know as real coin dealers per se, but instead are collectors who like to buy and sell for fun and profit but have full time jobs doing other things. Any legitimate brick and mortar coin shop (legitimate not in terms of legality, but in term of effective operation), will hedge their inventory in one way or another to protect from price swings downward, such as through futures contracts, etc. So there really is no reason to ever hold back inventory in theory unless the price drops so fast that wholesale inventory dries up and premiums skyrocket for a short time, which happened only twice since I have been a PM bug.

Lucky for you, if you are willing to buy online the big stores have cheap prices. SD bullion (silver doctors website) was advertising ASEs for 2.25 over spot. That is about 1.50 cheaper than what my best coin dealer will sell them to me for. Apmex has their name brand rounds for something like 70 cents over spot, etc. That's why when I read the PM bug sites that wheel out some guy that says they (comex, etc) are about to run out of silver I have to say that guy is a crook or just misinformed. You would not be getting generic that cheap if supply was nil at the wholesale level/or futures exchanges.

Marchas turned me on to a site called Bullionstackers.com that is a cool site for buyers/sellers to cut out the middleman (coin store). You might want to PM him about the site, he is a regular on there.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread