2015 Chinese silver pandas

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
It is my understanding that the 2015 silver Pandas do not have purity or weight stamped on them. Many on the blogs are complaining saying they won't buy any of them for that reason. I don't know why the Chinese are doing that, but I speculate if demand drops enough because of the lack of stamping, they might change back in later years. If so, it could make 2015 a rare issue in terms of it being different than other years.

In any event, I plan to buy a full 30 coin "sheet" or two, and put them away. My silver Pandas go up each year in value much more than my other regular gov bullion, so I am not worried about them going down in value.

The only pain involved is the 7 bucks or so premium per ounce I will pay. A while back though I needed to raise some cash and was able to sell my full sheets of 2013's for a slight profit (better than a loss), even though silver had dropped a bit from when I purchased them. If you ever plan to buy at least 30 ALWAYS get the full sheets, collectors love these over individual coins (unless you have some graded MS70, etc).

Just my opinion.

2015 China Silver Pandas | New Coin Releases

Jim

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Storage has become an issue for me, and this keeps me from buying anything (other than those going into my coin collection) that isn't easily stored in plastic tubes. That keeps me from even looking at most of the presentation sets I see you buy from time to time, much less anything that is issued in sheets.

I've seen storage discussed on this forum topic, but I still don't see how large accumulators deal with the matter. As it is, I'm embarrassed to have anyone but myself handle my bank box.

I've got a friend that's a big PM bug, and he invested in a large, high-dollar, home safe that's well-hidden and bolted to his foundation. Not practical for me. Even with all of the precautions, a safe can still amount to "one stop shopping" for a thief.

Any ideas? I don't expect anyone to be too specific.

TCK

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Storage has become an issue for me, and this keeps me from buying anything (other than those going into my coin collection) that isn't easily stored in plastic tubes. That keeps me from even looking at most of the presentation sets I see you buy from time to time, much less anything that is issued in sheets.

I've seen storage discussed on this forum topic, but I still don't see how large accumulators deal with the matter. As it is, I'm embarrassed to have anyone but myself handle my bank box.

I've got a friend that's a big PM bug, and he invested in a large, high-dollar, home safe that's well-hidden and bolted to his foundation. Not practical for me. Even with all of the precautions, a safe can still amount to "one stop shopping" for a thief.

TCK

There is no perfect answer. All storage has its limitations and risks. Some cities have private safe deposit box companies, which are generally a safe bet as long as the underlying company doesn't go bankrupt, plus these have larger boxes than many banks. in addition you have bank safe deposit boxes. Probably a safe bet if you pay your bill for the box timely and go there every so often. Other than that burying it or keeping in your house someplace. A safe like you mentioned would be pretty good if hidden well. As far as bulky items, one idea is to take out the coins and store them in a safe someplace and keep the empty display boxes separate (for non sealed items).

From what I would imagine, more people have their stuff stolen from home by family or friends instead of burglars/strangers. I guess it would depend on the crime rate where you live with respect to likelihood of a break in.

If you have stuff in a good hidden safe at home and have a good security system, that would be good insurance as well since the intruders would not have much time to grab the PMs before they would have to take off.

I have seen numerous instances of drug addict/crooked family members stealing from a coin collector's safe (often just a cheapo firebox or walmart type safe-great for fire protection but not theft). If other people have knowledge of where your stash is and access to it, it could only be a matter of time before someone grabs them.

If a person stores things at home and is not concerned about fire protection, it would not be hard to "hide" PM's. Rolls of gold coins and large silver bullion bars would not be hard to stash in an averaged sized private home. Only thing is that if you have a fire or tornado you could lose it all, plus it might not be secure from others living there and guests, depending on where it is stashed.

There are many options but none are perfect.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
My suggestion is to get a safe that has a 1/2" (or more) plate steel sides, back, & top with a 1" plate steel door. Also, a combination lock......not a push button lock. If there is a fire, the push button lock is useless....melted or? About 90 % of the safes I see are at the most 1/8th" thick sidewalls and top. A common axe could easily slice open these safes from the sides or top. I have a safe that is 650 lbs (1/2" plate steel)with the door (1" plate steel) weighing 250 lbs =900 lbs. It took 3 of us (220 lbs, 310 lbs, & 200 lbs) to move it. And with its contents? Maybe 1300 lbs.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY SAFE Lol Believe it or not but I do have a safe in the carage but I don't use it Lol

1055526_301_22.jpg

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TCK

I think that like all things, diversification is key. I don't have just one safe. I have several. Some of my PM's are not even stored in a safe But instead are stored in places that your average thief would never think to look. And ... I also have a safe deposit box.

I would give Jim two thumbs up if I could. Most people have their PM's stolen by family, friends, or people who are allowed into the home (workers, contractors, etc.). Loose lips sink ships...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread