Copper

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Does any one have any thoughts on copper?
You could get some real tonnage for not a lot of money.
Happy hunting all,Jim

I think if a person was into copper the best thing would be to get one of those Ryedale machines and sort pennies with it. You are currently not allowed to melt pennies, but that could change someday if they ever do away with the penny, etc. Plus you would find a bunch of wheats I would assume. Other than that, the copper bullion coins are way too high over melt to make it a worthwhile investment. And copper scrap would be hard to store at home, etc.

I don't know how much copper is supposed to be in the earth or the annual supply/demand characteristics. I guess if a person could buy/sell large amounts of scrap they could make some $$$ out of the deal just like any other metal.

Just my opinion.

Jim

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big problem with copper is that it is so cheap, you'd literally have to have "tonnage" to make any real money off of it. And keeping that tonnage on hand costs money (even if you don't think it does).

It reminds me of the old Steve Martin bit:

"Yeah, I make a lot of money. I bought cardboard when it was only 14 cents a ton. And it's up to what, 16 cents now? Well, I bought three tons of it. So that's about...well, you figure it out. Plus I made a special deal where I only have to keep 2 tons of it at my house."

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I just spent $95 on 32 oz. of .999 fine copper :tongue3:

Luckily for me they were all in the form of Zombucks! :laughing7:8-):notworthy:

OP
OP
J

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies.The cost of creating coins or even bars would most likely make it a poor investment.I do have a couple coins just for fun though.

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.The cost of creating coins or even bars would most likely make it a poor investment.I do have a couple coins just for fun though.

Right. But there is nothing wrong with saving a little copper here and there. I have several hundred dollars worth of copper memorial cents. But even if they double in price, I'm still only going to make a couple hundred dollars off of them. And they will likely never double in my lifetime. Oh well... just another thing to pass along to my grandkids some day.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
At $3.08/lb, a U S copper cent is worth exactly 2 cents for its copper content. Just divide 154 into the present copper price.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does any one have any thoughts on copper?
You could get some real tonnage for not a lot of money.
Happy hunting all,Jim

Here's a thought or two to make money on Copper....

I buy copper and brass items at garage sales. I find odds and ends of copper wire and an occasional copper bowl or pan and offer half or less of what I estimate its weight/worth is. Brass faucets and old windmill check valves and their outer squeeze box piping can be had at older farm and country estate/farm sales.

Then, I take them to the scrapyard after I pull apart any rubber valve washers or copper soldered to brass fittings. I always double my money, if not more. I take the cash from the metals' sale and do one of two things: I spend all of it on Silver rounds, making the actual home budget cost for the silver investment at "half price". The other point of view is that I keep out my original investment for another week of garage sales, the actual profit then makes the silver I buy FREE....

I could see copper prices going up if silver should hit single digits. I've read that a lot of copper comes out of the same ore as silver mining ore. If mining production should slow or stop, there would be a shortage of copper. I well remember when copper went sky high and house wiring rolls doubled in price. Then a South American country found a huge new deposit of copper and prices went back to normal....

Several large plastic tubs of stripped copper wire, (14ga and larger) will get No. 1 copper prices. Fine copper wiring in extension cords and welding cables, or soldered copper fittings will get you a bit lower price. If you are looking for copper to save, you might as well look for brass. Red Brass, from water/oil valves, sells for .25-.30 cents a pound more than Yellow Brass that is usually found in decorative cast items. So, keeping them in different collection tubs makes it easier to get all you can at the scrapyard....

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a big tote im filling with copper it wont be a fortune but it will help with Christmas presents for my kids

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread