Jim4Silver, know anything about these... ?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Jim,

I know you collect silver and you like to collect types of bullion that adds to the value and one's appreciation of silver coins.

Do you know much about this "Nike" coin?

1 oz Nike Silver Round - GoldSilver.com

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I don't know much about the private minted bullion like that. I have to say the coins are very nice looking. Some of the private stuff has a big following like the Zombucks and Silver shield, etc. The Nike coin appears to have reasonable premiums compared to some of the other private minted "theme" stuff.

I would want to know if the private mint that makes the Nike coin has made other stuff before and how its aftermarket prices are doing. Also would want to know if prior issues had milk spot issues, etc. If the coins don't have milk spot issues and they come looking fresh like in the photos, I would consider them preferable to buying new tubes of Maples or some other modern bullion that has higher premiums and has a high likelihood of spotting.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
It looks like the minimum purchase amount is 20. Their price is 19% over the silver price and it is bullion, not a coin. Hmmm. I recently purchased some Canadian $5 coins.....9999 silver for $18....26% over spot price, but a country's coin has some integrity over a common bullion round. The mintages of the Canadian $5 coins were 2 million or less. And bullion? Who know how many were minted. Well, each to their own.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
It looks like the minimum purchase amount is 20. Their price is 19% over the silver price and it is bullion, not a coin. Hmmm. I recently purchased some Canadian $5 coins.....9999 silver for $18....26% over spot price, but a country's coin has some integrity over a common bullion round. The mintages of the Canadian $5 coins were 2 million or less. And bullion? Who know how many were minted. Well, each to their own.

I don't think Maples are bad per se. I own several spotted ones I bought that way for cheap. Unfortunately I also have some I paid full retail for that spotted too. The older Maples in the plastic sheets were awesome and almost never spotted. I have found the newer ones spot in large numbers.

The problem with the spotted Maples and other gov bullion coins notorious for spotting (Philharmonics, newer Britannia's, some Australian bullion like the Spiders, Saltwater croc's and new Kangaroo's, etc), is that when you go to sell them you will be lucky to get melt if they are spotted. With the high premiums on Maples now (due to the recent shortage), it makes Maples not the best choice for those wanting the best bang for the buck (and future resale).

I even tried some of the newer Maples with the security lines and they spot just as bad. If Maples didn't spot they would be my favorite gov made bullion for the money. The mintage on the 2014 Maples was over 29 million. The 2015's will probably be even higher. I don't know which ones you mean that have only 2 million mintage, unless you are referring to older ones, which would be a great deal at the price you quoted if they are in the mint plastic.

I would imagine Bill's Nike coins won't have a mintage in the 20 million range, not that it really matters much.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim I have these coins and Mike Maloney of Hidden Secrets of Money fame sells them. Great looking coins and I have the first one he started making of the set Gorgeous looking coins in hand and a good mark up if you want to sell them individually as they only sell 20 at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread