a CASH FOR GOLD scam that was scamming the gold buyer.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on another forum and just ran across the post. Thought you might enjoy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last saturday one of my last yardsale stops was a trailer park community wide yardsale. All vendors were setup in one place. One of the vendors was a CASH FOR GOLD type buyer, she also lived in the park. I played it dumb and started talking to her. It only took a minute to tell she was VERY new to the game. But, she had a big professionally made banner and several bottles of testing acids and a powerful loupe.

I didn't have the heart to tell her she was being scammed but I hinted. She is a new member of The Gold Refinery and she paid her $300 to get there. They gave her a sign, business cards, the loupe, the acids and some training. She hosts gold parties too. She told me if someone brings in too much gold and she does not have enough cash "thegoldrefinery" send a runner with the needed money. She also said they keep pushing her to "recruit" new buyers because she will make money on what they buy. RED FLAG TIME!!! I asked if this was multi-level-marketing and she said yes. So I had to be nosey and ask how much they paid her. She was proud that she gets 10% of all buys.

I told her about 14K never being 14K and she had never heard that before, also electronic testers which they didn't tell about either. (I wonder if the acids are properly marked to read low?)

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

I had a chance to buy some old...I mean, OLD, dental crown gold. The Pics show with the tooth intact and after a finishing hammer cleared them out....
tongue3.gif

I checked one business the owner is known to go to get a current gold price they pay. The jewelry store lady said they buy gold, but at scrap prices.... How much for 14kt and 10kt? She said, "Well, let me look. Gold is at $1160, so we pay $10.75 for 14kt and about $10.00 for 10kt." Is that per gram or pennyweight? She said, "Oh, that's Pennyweight!".....

Now that's pretty low for buying gold, don't you think?

Bill

Attachments

• With Teeth in crowns.JPG
    With Teeth in crowns.JPG
    841.9 KB · Views: 122
  • With No teeth left in crowns.JPG
    With No teeth left in crowns.JPG
    712.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value at 1160 oz & all 14K is $265.44
I do not know anything about dwt. I taught myself on grams.

I too have some old teeth to melt down someday. some test 18K one is krap and one tests plat.
You should see the cavity in one of those. They were in a bulk deal I got last year.

Attachments

• AU-01.jpg
    AU-01.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 123

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill/Dan,

Suggest you check out Kitco for their scrap gold/silver, etc....they only buy from companies though.

It'll give you a good idea if you're getting a fair price or not.

Regards + HH

Bill

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I wouldn't worry about Dan he knows if he's getting a fair price or not. Lol Keep Stacking

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys made me get more educated here! I'd never spoken the language of drams and pennyweights! So I had to go figure out the conversions!

Thanks!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
so we pay $10.75 for 14kt and about $10.00 for 10kt."[/I] Is that per gram or pennyweight? She said, "Oh, that's Pennyweight!".....
Now that's pretty low for buying gold, don't you think?

Using my new found larning, she's paying $10.75 for $50 worth of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread