Copper cents off the market

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone think that the U S will ever drop the penny (cent) from the current monetary system similar to what Canada did a few years ago? What does the U S stand to gain & loose if they did, I have no thoughts on this move. If they did, wouldn't the price of COPPER skyrocket or plummet like a rock? I've been copper cent (pre-'82 cents) hoarding for the past 4-5yrs hoping that they will become a small investment as a PM. Comments for discussion.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I think one day they will, but there's still a lot of money flying around. It has been said for many years that the Mint loses money on cents. That's most likely very true. Yet there MUST be a reason they're still minting them!!

When in doubt, I always follow the saying, "Follow the money", and I don't mean the cents they're stamping! For example (and I'm ONLY hypothesizing here!!), the Mint buys their blanks from a source. And their source gets the metals from their source. If the gov't is losing money in these dealings, is it possible they could be gaining in another way? Like maybe in PAC donations or some such?? ...This is the point I was trying to make. Again, just pondering. But it gets me to thinking sometimes!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I think one day they will, but there's still a lot of money flying around. It has been said for many years that the Mint loses money on cents. That's most likely very true. Yet there MUST be a reason they're still minting them!!

When in doubt, I always follow the saying, "Follow the money", and I don't mean the cents they're stamping! For example (and I'm ONLY hypothesizing here!!), the Mint buys their blanks from a source. And their source gets the metals from their source. If the gov't is losing money in these dealings, is it possible they could be gaining in another way? Like maybe in PAC donations or some such?? ...This is the point I was trying to make. Again, just pondering. But it gets me to thinking sometimes!!

You are overthinking it. Fact: The US Treasury is the only Federal department that returns a profit to the government. One word - Seigniorage. The difference in the cost to produce the coin and the face value. In the case of the cent, they lose money. Big deal. But look at the quarter, big money maker. The offset is overall a profit is made in making coins for circulation. Now, look at the programs for collectors. Massive profits are made.

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean, since 1982 they can make them for less than a cent to make, so I'm not sure. The day will come Im sure though.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
IMHO - it will never ever happen. The penny will be with us forever - period!

bakkhoe

Jan 26, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox800; F75 ltd2; V3i; Tiger Shark; DeLeon; Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cent is required only for sales tax. Other than that, it is a useless coin. It's value in purchasing power is insignificant. Note how many are just thrown away.... check out a parking meter area with your detector, you probably won't even need a detector to find a handfull.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I mean, since 1982 they can make them for less than a cent to make, so I'm not sure. The day will come Im sure though.
This is incorrect. It costs 1.8 cents to make one penny and 7 cents to make a nickel.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too keep the copper ones, guess when the world ends I can melt them down and make water pipes!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Copper cents crossed 3 cents melt this week and still climbing.

Too bad it is still illegal to melt cents for profit or take them out of the country for that purpose. Same with nickels. As copper price keeps rising, it wouldn't surprise me to see US copper cents at 5 cents melt each.

Holding pre 82 cents wouldn't be a bad thing with hope that they lift the ban someday if you had the room to store and time to sort them initially. Or could use a machine like the one below. If they never lifted the ban you would still have the coins to spend or deposit. I thought about doing this years back when I still was into CRHing silver halves, but figured I wasted enough time searching for silver and didn't need a new "hobby".

http://www.pennysorter.com/

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No need to melt them, the copper hoarders on Ebay buy them all up for melt value by the roll. Selling them is probably the easiest.
I'm sure theres been many pennies melted through the years even tho it's illegal.
Just cant really enforce something like that realistically.
It doesnt seem like its worth it yet, maybe when they reach a buck but I'll hold mine for now. It all adds up!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have about $600 in copper pennies from CRH a few years back. I was selling them for 2 cents each at the LCS. Bought silver with the proceeds. I'm ready if he starts buying again. :cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread