Copper cents off the market
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Dozer D
  • 1 Post By kcm
  • 2 Post By Diver_Down
  • 1 Post By SorenCoins
  • 1 Post By vpnavy
  • 1 Post By scruggs
  • 1 Post By bakkhoe
  • 1 Post By Johnnybravo300
  • 1 Post By xr7ator
  • 2 Post By Peyton Manning

Thread: Copper cents off the market

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2012
    2671 times
    Coin roll hunting

Copper cents off the market

Does anyone think that the U S will ever drop the penny (cent) from the current monetary system similar to what Canada did a few years ago? What does the U S stand to gain & loose if they did, I have no thoughts on this move. If they did, wouldn't the price of COPPER skyrocket or plummet like a rock? I've been copper cent (pre-'82 cents) hoarding for the past 4-5yrs hoping that they will become a small investment as a PM. Comments for discussion.
    A2coins likes this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7031 times
    I think one day they will, but there's still a lot of money flying around. It has been said for many years that the Mint loses money on cents. That's most likely very true. Yet there MUST be a reason they're still minting them!!

When in doubt, I always follow the saying, "Follow the money", and I don't mean the cents they're stamping! For example (and I'm ONLY hypothesizing here!!), the Mint buys their blanks from a source. And their source gets the metals from their source. If the gov't is losing money in these dealings, is it possible they could be gaining in another way? Like maybe in PAC donations or some such?? ...This is the point I was trying to make. Again, just pondering. But it gets me to thinking sometimes!!
    A2coins likes this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    I think one day they will, but there's still a lot of money flying around. It has been said for many years that the Mint loses money on cents. That's most likely very true. Yet there MUST be a reason they're still minting them!!

When in doubt, I always follow the saying, "Follow the money", and I don't mean the cents they're stamping! For example (and I'm ONLY hypothesizing here!!), the Mint buys their blanks from a source. And their source gets the metals from their source. If the gov't is losing money in these dealings, is it possible they could be gaining in another way? Like maybe in PAC donations or some such?? ...This is the point I was trying to make. Again, just pondering. But it gets me to thinking sometimes!!
    You are overthinking it. Fact: The US Treasury is the only Federal department that returns a profit to the government. One word - Seigniorage. The difference in the cost to produce the coin and the face value. In the case of the cent, they lose money. Big deal. But look at the quarter, big money maker. The offset is overall a profit is made in making coins for circulation. Now, look at the programs for collectors. Massive profits are made.
    fistfulladirt and A2coins like this.

us
    Gangsta Soren

Apr 2015
    Parker, Colorado
    Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I mean, since 1982 they can make them for less than a cent to make, so I'm not sure. The day will come Im sure though.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    14532 times
    IMHO - it will never ever happen. The penny will be with us forever - period!
    A2coins likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

us
    Treasure hunter

Jun 2008
    Northern Alabama
    Whites
    2747 times
    Metal Detecting
    The Penny is here to stay!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Michigan
    Equinox800; F75 ltd2; V3i; Tiger Shark; DeLeon; Carrot
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    Cent is required only for sales tax. Other than that, it is a useless coin. It's value in purchasing power is insignificant. Note how many are just thrown away.... check out a parking meter area with your detector, you probably won't even need a detector to find a handfull.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2084 times
    Prospecting
    The lose of purchasing power more than makes up for the mass printing of worthless money. They dont lose money on printing DEBT, but you do.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3508 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SorenCoins View Post
    I mean, since 1982 they can make them for less than a cent to make, so I'm not sure. The day will come Im sure though.
    This is incorrect. It costs 1.8 cents to make one penny and 7 cents to make a nickel.
    A2coins likes this.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    13431 times
    Metal Detecting
    I too keep the copper ones, guess when the world ends I can melt them down and make water pipes!
    franklin and A2coins like this.
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32108 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    thats crazy

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2084 times
    Prospecting
    There's not enough copper in them to affect the copper market. Maybe zinc but zinc is worthless anyway.

Sponsored Links