Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By coinbug
  • 2 Post By Frank Tillman
  • 2 Post By Jason in Enid
  • 1 Post By Frank Tillman
  • 1 Post By coinbug
  • 1 Post By NHBandit
  • 1 Post By jim4silver

Thread: Anyone stacking platinum?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    ca
    Jul 2013
    Fisher Goldbug
    100
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Anyone stacking platinum?

    Platinum is cheaper than gold, and I wonder whether it's a good time to stack it.

    Here are some pluses to platinum:

    1. It's harder to fake, particularly coins. There are a lot of excellent fake gold coins, but - although there are fake platinum bars - I'm not aware of fake platinum coins. They'd be easy to detect in any event.

    2. I know platinum is supposed to be harder to sell, but given the above, and the fact that everyone knows platinum is valuable, that may not be the case going forward, particularly if platinum's price rises significantly.

    3. It's much easier to store than silver. It's hard to store silver at home in quantity. Even harder to lug it around. Compare a 100 oz. silver bar to a 1 oz. platinum coin (I know, at current prices the silver is worth more).

    4. That brings me to the platinum/silver ratio which is currently around 55. It averages around 100 which is consistent with production (about a hundred times more silver is produced than platinum). So in time platinum a maple leaf could be worth the same as a 100 oz. silver bar. And you could put 100 platinum maples in your pockets, as opposed to nearly 700 pounds of silver.

    5. Unlike gold, platinum has industrial uses. We all think catalytic converters, and, sure, platinum could drop when we're all buying flying electric cars, but there could be other uses for platinum just around the corner.

    6. The mining supply is uncertain and the current low price exacerbates this.

    The above occurred to me when I was comparing a platinum maple to a silver maple. The platinum coin is much smaller and much more valuable and hence vastly easier to stack. Given that the platinum/silver ratio is in its favor as well, perhaps stacking platinum is prudent?
    lastleg likes this.

  2. #2

    Nov 2016
    Western USA
    45
    58 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Platinum coins are fine, but a lot harder to sell than gold. Gold has a very liquid world market and has an attraction that in
    my opinion most people have naturally sensed since humans have come in contact with it. I'm attracted to it, mined it, think
    about it, follow it, own it.

    I'm a precious metals guy, especially gold, but I believe precious metals are going way down over the long term, probably
    gold around $500-$700, the rest of the metals will also be way down. The time to buy will be then. This is a false economy that
    is going to collapse.
    basssmann and freepistol like this.

  3. #3

    Apr 2008
    3,615
    444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Tillman View Post
    Platinum coins are fine, but a lot harder to sell than gold. Gold has a very liquid world market and has an attraction that in
    my opinion most people have naturally sensed since humans have come in contact with it. I'm attracted to it, mined it, think
    about it, follow it, own it.

    I'm a precious metals guy, especially gold, but I believe precious metals are going way down over the long term, probably
    gold around $500-$700, the rest of the metals will also be way down. The time to buy will be then. This is a false economy that
    is going to collapse.

    If you are that confident, why do you still own gold? You could sell it all now and buy it back at less than half price later. Back in 2008 the MSM and such told us the world was going to end. It was clear that our economy was tanking, yet a few years later gold and silver went to all time highs (silver tied an old high).

    Why was that? Because the US gov responded with tactics that appeared to make PMs a good buy like QEs, etc. If we get back into another situation like that (we might already be there), what makes you think the US gov won't do anything to try and fix it like they did before (like inflationary tactics, QEs, etc)?

    I doubt those in power will sit on their hands while every asset goes to zero. They won't let that happen- not because they are nice or benevolent, but because they don't want the angry masses rioting and looting in the streets, which everyone knows happens quite easily here in the US when folks who are drawn to such behavior get angry.

    Just my opinion.

    Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  4. #4
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,586
    7448 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Gold and silver will always be easier to move because they are easily worked into jewelry items. Platinum is VERY difficult to melt and form, so it's not going to have the audience of AU and AG.

    As for stacking it, I can barely afford to stack aluminum cans!
    lastleg and DeepseekerADS like this.

  5. #5

    Nov 2016
    Western USA
    45
    58 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jim4silver View Post
    If you are that confident, why do you still own gold? You could sell it all now and buy it back at less than half price later. Back in 2008 the MSM and such told us the world was going to end. It was clear that our economy was tanking, yet a few years later gold and silver went to all time highs (silver tied an old high).

    Why was that? Because the US gov responded with tactics that appeared to make PMs a good buy like QEs, etc. If we get back into another situation like that (we might already be there), what makes you think the US gov won't do anything to try and fix it like they did before (like inflationary tactics, QEs, etc)?

    I doubt those in power will sit on their hands while every asset goes to zero. They won't let that happen- not because they are nice or benevolent, but because they don't want the angry masses rioting and looting in the streets, which everyone knows happens quite easily here in the US when folks who are drawn to such behavior get angry.

    Just my opinion.

    Jim
    The reason I hold gold is because, as I said, I like and am attracted to gold, especially Double Eagles and Nuggets. Spent much of
    my life mining it, it is part of me. If I'm still alive, I'm old, when gold reaches around $500-$700 I will buy a lot more, several hundred
    thousands of dollars more. I have money. Right now and for the foreseeable future, cash is King.

    As for the economy, what the government and fed have been doing, having the big banks buy US bonds and the fed buy them from
    the banks with journal entries, creating money out of nothing, is something that can't go on forever. It is a house of cards.
    I'm an old business attorney and CPA, I know and see what they are doing, the tricks and lies. You'll see.
    Last edited by Frank Tillman; Dec 06, 2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo, probably more
    freepistol likes this.

  6. #6

    Apr 2008
    3,615
    444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Tillman View Post
    The reason I hold gold is because, as I said, I like and am attracted to gold, especially Double Eagles and Nuggets. Spent much of
    my life mining it, it is part of me. If I'm still alive, I'm old, when gold reaches around $500-$700 I will buy a lot more, several hundred
    thousands of dollars more. I have money. Right now and for the foreseeable future, cash is King.

    As for the economy, what the government and fed have been doing, having the big banks buy US bonds and the fed buy them from
    the banks with journal entries, creating money out of nothing, is something that can't go on forever. It is a house of cards.
    I'm an old business attorney and CPA, I know and see what they are doing, the tricks and lies. You'll see.

    I agree with you that "tricks and lies" are what "they" do, that has been the case for a long time I believe. My PM predictions for price movements have been bad since 2011 since I can't really argue what you say, other than I don't think we will see gold ever go as low as you say under our current "dollar" system.

    I think PM markets are cyclical in nature and the current low prices are not due to constant "manipulation" to keep them low as some say. In fact, I believe the PM paper markets were manipulated upward vis a vis the ETFs and such up into 2011. I too think right now cash is king and I have not been buying my usual silver purchases because I think we will see $15 handle silver and maybe $14 before too long (maybe lower?).

    As long as the populace stays unaware, "they" can keep up the "lies and tricks" for much longer than most believe. These same things are going on in other countries all over the world so it is not just the US that is in a mess. I believe Trump might actually try to somehow "default" on the debt, or perhaps try some type of revaluation. He mentioned something like that in the past, plus he has done similar with his businesses (bankruptcy is akin to such defaulting) so maybe he will give that a try with the US debt? I am not saying that would be good or bad, but it is possible. Any such default on the US dollar/debt, etc, should be bullish for gold and silver (perhaps platinum too?).

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us...less.html?_r=0


    Just my opinion.

    Jim
    Last edited by jim4silver; Dec 06, 2016 at 11:36 AM.
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  7. #7
    ca
    Jul 2013
    Fisher Goldbug
    100
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The house of cards that is the world financial system will have to topple sometime. It could come down tomorrow, or not for years. But the game can't go on forever, tricks and lies notwithstanding. 2008 was just the ocean receding before the tsunami.
    Frank Tillman likes this.

  8. #8
    us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3,385
    3123 times
    The very best precious metal investment in recent years above all else has been brass & lead. Without getting "political" that may change with the incoming administration. This is not a "joke" post either. Example.. military surplus .308 ammo I bought just a few years ago for $80 per thousand rds is currently selling for around $450 per thousand...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308ammo-002a.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1389786  
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    Live Free or Die

  9. #9

    Nov 2016
    Western USA
    45
    58 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
    The very best precious metal investment in recent years above all else has been brass & lead. Without getting "political" that may change with the incoming administration. This is not a "joke" post either. Example.. military surplus .308 ammo I bought just a few years ago for $80 per thousand rds is currently selling for around $450 per thousand...
    Gun powder also, hard to get.

  10. #10
    us
    Dec 2006
    Central Minnnesota
    White's DFX & VX3
    968
    270 times
    It is often mentioned that Obama and Hillary were the best sales people for guns and ammo.

  11. #11

    Apr 2008
    3,615
    444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose-0 View Post
    It is often mentioned that Obama and Hillary were the best sales people for guns and ammo.

    I don't think we will see the ammo "shortages" that we saw under Obama. Trump is very pro 2nd amendment. I see ammo prices coming down and supply going up over the next four years. Other than .22, my local Walmarts are fully stocked and decent prices.

    Just my opinion.

    Jim
    TheCoinKid likes this.
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A good reason to keep stacking....
    By billjustbill in forum Precious Metal Prices
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 15, 2016, 02:21 PM
  2. New meaning to term keep stacking
    By jim4silver in forum Precious Metal Prices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2015, 06:20 PM
  3. Stacking while I still can!
    By Styfflin in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
  4. Stacking Nickels?
    By hrnewsome in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 02, 2013, 09:10 AM
  5. my first attempt at coin stacking.....lol
    By Goes4ever in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 14, 2009, 05:33 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0