Chinese silver pandas full sheets

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
One of the few coin purchases I've made that have NEVER lost money are the full sheets I've purchased of Chinese silver pandas. Since around 2011 I started buying one or more full sheets each year. The 2016 comes 15 coins to a full sheet (they came 30 to a full sheet in the past).

I know many like to buy the cheapest silver to "stack". But one good thing about have a little semi numismatic stuff is that if you need to sell some to raise $$$ when silver is down, something like this will probably make you a profit instead of taking a loss. In the past a few times when I needed to raise some $$$ and silver was down I let go of some of these and always made some profit, even just a year or two later. I always buy them current year only when they are cheapest.

I have not obtained my 2016's yet and my local stores are about 3 bucks per ounce more than I'd like to pay. I've never bought online but I've seen them for sale at the right price with free shipping, so I may need to try that route this year.

I would not recommend building a large part of one's stash with silver pandas, but having a sheet or two put away is like guaranteed profit if you can hold them a couple years (or more). These coins have so far increased in value irrespective of the price of silver (the ones bought when silver was at $30 and less).

Here is what the 2016 sheet looks like

PS I'm not recommending the company in the link, I've never used them but considering them (along with 2 other companies).

Sheet of 15 - 2016 30 gram Chinese Silver Panda 10 Yuan .999 Fine BU In Capsule (Lot, Roll of 15) | Bullion Exchanges

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Silver today (Saturday) is at $16.06/oz. The 15 Panda coins are selling at approx. 38% ($6.10) over spot. And the 15 coins are only 14.48 ounces. I know you won't purchase at that price and you only showed them for information, thanks.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Silver today (Saturday) is at $16.06/oz. The 15 Panda coins are selling at approx. 38% ($6.10) over spot. And the 15 coins are only 14.48 ounces. I know you won't purchase at that price and you only showed them for information, thanks.

That's actually a good price for silver pandas. Not all silver coins sell at or near melt. If you bought a bunch of silver at $17+ per ounce right at melt last few years, you are down- and if you had to sell some you'd lose money. If you bought some of the silver pandas over the past few years, you would be up on your investment (2014 and earlier) assuming you know the proper way to sell them.

Sometimes buying "the cheapest" silver is not a great idea. Especially when the price of silver has fallen since 2011. Smart semi numis purchases can save your butt when you have to sell and the price of silver is down. My Australian Kooks and such have been even better than pandas profit-wise, but they are harder to get cheap, especially back years.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
You're absolutely right J 4 S. I've been following the Kooks, the Pandas, AND the Roos for only 7 or 8 yrs. They do command higher prices. As for plain coin silver, it seems to me the Morgan dollars hold their relative value when silver retreats in price. The Peace dollars go down in price somewhat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread