How to sell large amounts?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I would go with one of the professional companies that deal in this sort of things such as Provident Metals. Even if you end up paying taxes on your find it's better than dealing with the pirates at the pawn shops. It depends on what form of metal you're talking about though. They will buy coins, bullion, etc but it's doubtful they would mess with ore or nuggets of unsure purity. https://www.providentmetals.com/sell-to-us.html

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just pondering this same question last night. What would I do with a large amount of gold, how could you sell it.

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess it depends upon what you find.... As already stated, coins--(government issued of course), along with various forms of bullion--(rounds, bars or shot), are easily sold, traded or bartered. Most large precious metals companies in the US are capable of buying most any amount you may have--or could come up with, Provident, APMEX, Sunshine Mint, Northwest, etc...all worthy and reasonably fair.

Now, if you come into a bunch of nuggets you can always have them refined to .999 or .9999 and either sell direct to the refinery or have them cast as bars, shot or any other form that the refiner is willing to provide. Keep in mind that most refineries will have fees for the service and some are flat rates, but many base the fees on a percent of the total refined production. A few refineries I have worked with will also allow you to pay out of the gold you have refined, so there is no exchange of cash, so to speak, for the services...which may be beneficial for privacy.

I used to buy jewelry like mad, especially rings, I didn't care what the gold content was, 10k, 12k, 14k, 18k or 22k...it all refines the same. One other thing to think about if refining jewelry, most of the refineries want stones removed and if they have to do it, fees can be involved. Some refineries WILL throw jewelry with really small stones right into the furnace and they just vaporize--not the best way to go, but I guess it works.

There is great pleasure in bringing a gallon sized ziploc bag (or two) of rings to have refined into poured bars!! :laughing7: :hello2: :3barsgold: A great refinery in MN near MPLS would also allow you to trade your recently refined product for coins and other forms of bullion from around the world that were in showcases in a small showroom. Whoooheee, they had one of the best turn around times ever! I could drop it off and have a check arrive at my house within 2 days! :occasion18: :headbang:

There is an option to refine your own metals using a furnace, kiln, or whatever contraption you can create or buy to do the job and refine that product.

Here's to hoping you score big! Contact me at that time and I will lend my services :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::thumbsup::wink:

Last edited:

Frank Tillman

Nov 16, 2016
Western USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some good refineries with good reputations, if you can find one close by that you can become familiar with and drive to,
it is quick and clean, they pay on the spot. If you want cash, check, no problem. Any amount, they'll arrange it, it's their
thing, they know gold and how to deal it. They have the equipment to test it, and know how to.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread