Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I'm very confused with how this works. If I have a 14k gold ring that weighs 11.2 grams and use the below calculator to figure out the value, it comes to around $250.00. So over the weekend I had brought the ring somewhere and they weighed it in pennyweights, it was somewhere around 7.25 pennyweights. Based on the pennyweights they offered $94.00, but when you use the calculator below it comes to much more. I don't get it. Not even sure what a pennyweight is or why you can't just sell your gold based on what carat it is and how many grams it weighs.

Scrap Gold Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what i am doing, i was just confused with the $94.00 offer vs roughly $250.00 on the gold calculator, that's quite a difference. I guess like you said, some shops don't pay squat.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Even Christ had to drive the money changers from the temple!!!

Not all thieves hide in the dark!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some shops want way too much for their gold and don't pay much for it when they buy it. Other shops are more fair but getting 100 percent of what you want might be tough.
With gold prices where they are there is usually room for some back and forth but it's worth too much to give away that's for sure! Haha
A pennyweight is just another weight measurement and it's all the same. He was offering you around 35 percent gold price which alot of people would take. They always start low like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do these shops weigh in "pennyweights" and what does that mean? Why not just weigh in grams??

bakkhoe

Jan 26, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox800; F75 ltd2; V3i; Tiger Shark; DeLeon; Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They probably use pennyweights, which is a legitimate way to measure, to keep un-informed people from comparing, or looking up values. Most people who do not deal in jewelry or precious metals will not know what the "dwt" measurement is. A pennyweight is approximately 1.55 grams, so if the buyer tells you the weight or you see it on the scale and don't know, You might think the value is less..... since the pennyweight number is much smaller than the grams number for the same weight. Most people do not know how much their jewelry weighs Also make sure that the carat is taken into consideration. If it is 14k, then it is only 14/24 or 58% gold, with the rest probably silver and copper.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14k is about 50% gold for one thing. Two if the ring is in intact, it is worth 3 times melt value. Coins are two times melt value. I will make a bars later when I get enough to do so

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I buy and sell gold on the side... I have searched locally, and out of state, and you would be amazed, how much of difference you will get for your gold..
I had the same amount of 10K and 14k gold, quoted at 4 places... see below

1. $680 local jewelry place
2. $780 cash for gold
3. $1,080 my send to place in florida for years
4. $1,331 my honey hole place now..... Express Cash Gold

I have been dealing with them for 6 batches of gold and sterling silver... Express Cash Gold in Salamanca, Ny
they will send a fed-ex over night pack to put your gold and silver in, they get and start evaluation the next day, within 24 hours of them getting it, they email you
a quote, you accept, check go's out that day.... They test your gold, because there are many fake pc. marked 14k Italy, that's junk plated from Mexico, I had
some rejected and they sent back to me... I bought a cheap test kit of ebay for $14, and now I test mine before sending... I'm indirect contact with the owner now, so, if you mention Ray Terwilliger, sent you, you will get extra care... Great Place

I'm very confused with how this works. If I have a 14k gold ring that weighs 11.2 grams and use the below calculator to figure out the value, it comes to around $250.00. So over the weekend I had brought the ring somewhere and they weighed it in pennyweights, it was somewhere around 7.25 pennyweights. Based on the pennyweights they offered $94.00, but when you use the calculator below it comes to much more. I don't get it. Not even sure what a pennyweight is or why you can't just sell your gold based on what carat it is and how many grams it weighs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scrap Gold Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a pennyweight value calculator.

I've been told by a number of pawn shop owners that they definitely use pennyweight instead of ounce calculations to confuse the seller.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check this site you can weigh in several ways. The buy your gold shops some weigh in pennyweight other weigh in grams. I've got over spot on eBay for gold very often, but that depends on the piece being unique over just a piece of gold. I always check and mark each piece before I head to the scrap buyer. I just did that today on some miscellaneous rather unappealing gold pieces and then turned around and bought more undervalued gold on my next stop with the cash I got from the scrap buyer. Scrap Gold Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I buy and sell gold on the side...
1. $680 local jewelry place
2. $780 cash for gold
3. $1,080 my send to place in florida for years
4. $1,331 my honey hole place now..... Express Cash Gold

yes, pay outs are all over the place. but, on number 4 what was the bottom line on their fees? my refinery melts everything into a bar and then assays it (I believe an XRF machine) then pays me 98%

I hope your gold value was around $1360 if not my refinery in Dallas would have paid more. Only problem you must be a business. No problem they have a form to fill out and apply.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, your gold is worth $263 melt, so $94 is taking advantage of you. ARAgold.com pays 98%, so your payout would be around $250 after shipping to them. Check with a local coin dealer or jewelry store, if you can get at least 85-90 % of melt locally, it's not too bad a deal. Use the calculator to figure melt, then take 90% of that value for your target price.

The corner gold stores make a killing on unsuspecting sellers, that's why they are popping up on each corner.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread