Will PM's drop like rare art prices?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I have been seeing over the past few months how rare art is losing value. Although not a PM obviously, I always put rare art in a similar category as PM's since art is a physical asset whose value rises and drops not unlike a commodity (although different factors at play).

I would guess that if assets like art are dropping, it could be an early warning for PMs? Although PMs have been somewhat crappy in general since 2011, they could go lower.

The herd seems to be anticipating higher inflation, which would in theory be good for any physical asset, but for some reason the wealthy are at some level leaving rare art, perhaps wanting to put those billions into the stock market?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...all-11-to-lowest-point-since-financial-crisis

Just my opinion.

Jim

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Jim, I think PMs are a little distant from art collectors. PMs are on a level for the common person and the common person really doesn't care about art. Art lovers can purchase art anywhere from $100 dollars to $50 million while the common stacker buys PMs a little at a time.....when they can purchase it whenver a person feels inclined to purchase some. Me? I just buy silver, 3, 5, even a roll of 1 0z rounds when the occasion occurs.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Jim, I think PMs are a little distant from art collectors. PMs are on a level for the common person and the common person really doesn't care about art. Art lovers can purchase art anywhere from $100 dollars to $50 million while the common stacker buys PMs a little at a time.....when they can purchase it whenver a person feels inclined to purchase some. Me? I just buy silver, 3, 5, even a roll of 1 0z rounds when the occasion occurs.

Goose-o,

I agree with them being different. But it is not the little guys like me buying PM's that make any difference in price. The amount of silver mined is near 1 billion ounces a year (at least used to be) and retail buyers are the smallest segment taking silver off the market. It is really large paper market buyers and perhaps industrial uses that make any dent.

I am just curious if the drop in art prices is akin to a canary in the coal mine for hard assets in general. Would be interesting to see if house prices start dropping too this year, etc.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be interesting to see if house prices start dropping too this year.

They will be pretty shortly Jim, right now there is a little upsurge because of the interest rate rise but that will diminish after a while and we will then see a drop in the prices. Keep Stacking

Frank Tillman

Nov 16, 2016
Western USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

You may be right in that it could show, generally speaking, the wealthy are getting more "concerned" about
making money instead of spending it. Their concerns could foreshadow changing times they are sensing.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Finally silver is over $18/oz ($18.06). Will the price continue upward? Don't worry about it, just keep stacking.....I am!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread