We chase gold & silver. What about Palladium or Rhodium = Up near a grand now

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't know anything about the value of other metals. These are mined items probably, but how would you identify it and then how to sell it. Seems there are all kinds of treasures.

Scrap Gold Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator

Incidentally, that's a pretty good app you come to if you've never seen it before - carats and spot and weight and you have a current value.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Problem with both of these metals is the premiums for physical are far too high and the buy/sell spread is huge. Much of your profit can get eaten up in the transaction to sell them.

As palladium gets too expensive you could seem them re-tool the emissions systems to utilize more platinum if that price stays lower. It used to be that way but when palladium was so cheap they switched to that metal to save costs, now it is high. Possibly the Russian reserves have been depleted so the price is going higher in the future.

I don't have enough cash to buy PGMs, but I would opine platinum is the best of the three right now for long term. Platinum used to be worth far more than gold for many years.

As far as Rhodium goes, there is only 1 brand of bar sold. None of my local stores sell them anymore and none advertise that they will buy them. For Rhodium you would do better in futures if you think the price will go up. Same spread problems as palladium and far fewer choices of physical metal. I used to own some Rhodium bars but I started getting paranoid that one day when I tried to sell they would not buy them locally and I would be stuck.

EDIT:

Actually I saw that Pamp and others now make Rhodium bars along with Baird, the one company I knew of back when I owned mine. Perhaps there will be more liquidity in these bars, which could make me re-think buying some.

Rhodium's function in the catalytic process is different than palladium and platinum if I remember right. It is used in much smaller amounts than Pd or Pt so there might be price inelasticity (price going up doesn't slow down buying of commodity like normally would) if producers require it.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread