A question about slerling pins, and what are the actual pins made of?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not really concerned at all about the value of this little sterling pin. I was awarded this pin in '93 for 5 years of service with Cleveland Electric Illuminating. I know this ain't worth it's weight in manure, but the question is about the puncture pin instead.

Sat Jun 24 11-55-21.jpg Sat Jun 24 11-56-58.jpg

My assumption is that a scrapper would break off the "needle" and throw it in the trash. It is in my opinion unlikely to be silver.

This would apply to most pins?

Is my assumption true?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll lay money it's brass with a flash plate of silver. If you're thinking about scrapping it, DON"T! It might not be significant to you but there's pin collectors that'll pay you a good price for it. I used to buy jewelry from a guy in lots and he'd always put a bunch of pins in the lot for me. Some of them I would've let go for $1 but after researching found they were worth over $20 up.

To put it simply, "DON'T SCRAP PINS WITHOUT RESEARCHING THEM!!!!!" Fraternity pins were my best money makers for pins. And I couldn't believe what people were willing to pay for stupid pins. Oh, stupid pins is my term for concert pins etc. that you bought only to feel stupid for paying that much for later.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You answered my question!

Just as I expected, manufacturers would not normally use precious metals for the mounting pin.

Unless the world turns upside down, or mine does, anything I accumulate will go to my kids. I guess I'm a hoarder :)

I'd actually forgotten I ever received a pin from them, just another thing in that massive collection of junk I've collected over the years and really need to have a huge yard sale for!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhhhhh! Don't blow it for the rest of us with talk like that!!!! I keep telling the wife I'm not a hoarder. All that stuff is my retirement fund. Funny thing, I've almost got her believing it!

Oh, helps your story if you show her 3 or 4 of your padlocks valued at over $125 and you say, "remember those 4 5gal buckets of padlocks in the shop? There's lots more in them." Psychology my friend psychology............

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a jewelry manufacturer all stamped sterling items were pinned with sterling silver posts (findings) and backs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread