Request Advice on buying Gold and Silver.

wilspeak

Oct 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am interested in buying Gold and Silver. I don't trust the paper currencies, 401K, and IRA plans. I want to start saving some of my small income in Gold and Silver coins, bars and ingots. Can someone Please tell me what is the best and most profitable way to invest in Gold and Silver coins or bars? What are the best companies to buy from? and how do I sell the Gold or Silver if I had to cash them in? Also please include any other advice that someone new to buying Gold and Silver should know. Thank You

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say don't put all your eggs in one basket when investing!!!!!

OP
OP
W

wilspeak

Oct 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say don't put all your eggs in one basket when investing!!!!!

Hello A2coins, I have a 401K and a couple of savings accounts. So I'm not going to save everything in Gold and Silver. Thank You.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can sell at many places and it's always a liquid asset but just see who's paying what. There are no rules and there is no best. It's just your opinion and up to you what you want.

Oscar Goldman

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to have a few coins or ingots but the problem I see is that once you've accrued a bit, say $10k worth, then you're going to want to protect it either with a good safe or a safety deposit box. Some people don't like the added cost. If you want to invest because you think the value will increase, the cheaper way is to buy Gold ETFs or stocks but there not as fun as something you can hold on to.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a half decent wayerproof and fireproof safe.

Dig a 4ft deep hole in your garden.

Pile it full of your rainy day gold.

Voila!

Matt.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv bin buying circulated silver coins off ebay and any where else i can get a decent price....

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this off an on for years, and have some experience. Here's what to do:

* Invest in a good safe for sure. I use a big old gun safe, but if you're using a smaller one you can always bolt it to some studs from the inside so no one walks off with it.

* For silver, buy 1oz rounds and maybe American Eagles. Get them in 20oz tubes where you can.

* They also sell 1oz bars that come in plastic blister packs you can cut with scissors to separate and sell.

* Remember you're buying to SELL later on, so don't buy specialty coins or "limited edition" stuff. You should be paying a little over spot for every ounce of silver.

* For bigger silver bars, buy 5 and 10oz sizes, tops. These are chunky enough to stack but not so big that they're difficult to sell.

* BUYING: I've bought from Scottsdale Silver (love their bars), APMEX, and Monarch Precious metals. All three are fast, reputable companies.

* SELLING: I've sold some of my stuff on Ebay, but you'll pay 15-20% in fees. Better off to look up and call every local coin/jewelry store in your area. Tell them how many ounces you have to sell, and ask what price they can give you. Go with the best price that should be pretty close to or just under spot.

* Be aware some of these people will try to rip you off. Never let them do that.

* As for gold, I don't know. Haven't had enough to buy gold yet. :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not wise enough to answer this question. I'm still sitting on some $50 silver.....

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of new gun laws coming down the pipe, and for ammunition as well in some states. Might be a good time to buy or sell some guns before all that happens as they are actively chipping away at the 2nd ammendment as we speak with new legislation in the works.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t waste your money, if gold and silver were running out you wouldn’t see commercials selling it

Use interest to your advantage

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Lots of new gun laws coming down the pipe, and for ammunition as well in some states. Might be a good time to buy or sell some guns before all that happens as they are actively chipping away at the 2nd ammendment as we speak with new legislation in the works.

That is a good thing. It means one of those laws will be eventually be challenged in the US S Ct and be overturned now that we have two new (and probably a third soon) justices that will back the 2nd amend. This issue is the main reason I voted for our prez. If he had lost, I am sure a new anti 2nd amend law would have passed by now.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope your right! Always make my hair stand up when I hear them talking crazy like that but could affect prices and has before. Ammo shortages, super slow shipping, higher prices, and nothing in stock.
Not that the 2nd ammendment is going anywhere IMO.....prices might jump around again like before.

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are companies which offer storage for your bullions/coins/bars when you buy a certain amount of $$$.

Another thing is (If you want to invest) to buy a gold or silver denominated investment product from a big bank or an investment company. These usually play with the price of gold/silver against USD and at the maturity period you can either get your cash back with a premium or buy the gold/silver.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnyBravo, please keep all politics out of all forums except our politics forum.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
There are companies which offer storage for your bullions/coins/bars when you buy a certain amount of $$$.

Another thing is (If you want to invest) to buy a gold or silver denominated investment product from a big bank or an investment company. These usually play with the price of gold/silver against USD and at the maturity period you can either get your cash back with a premium or buy the gold/silver.
Yikes! I’d never even consider that option. When it comes to paper investments you really don’t have much of a choice, however when it comes to PM’s, if you don’t hold it - you don’t own it. That, and gold and silver have been terrible investments for the last ten years.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am interested in buying Gold and Silver. I don't trust the paper currencies, 401K, and IRA plans. I want to start saving some of my small income in Gold and Silver coins, bars and ingots. Can someone Please tell me what is the best and most profitable way to invest in Gold and Silver coins or bars? What are the best companies to buy from? and how do I sell the Gold or Silver if I had to cash them in? Also please include any other advice that someone new to buying Gold and Silver should know. Thank You

compare silver prices dot com.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread