June 15, 1933. a Warning to Bury gold . I'm sure the Smart people did

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
So in thinking this over I came to the conclusion that almost all who hoarded lost out. By the time gold was legal again many of the original owners who stashed it were dead already.
As to keeping gold or silver for shtf day, I'll be happy to sell you a loaf of bread for an ounce of gold. It won't buy what you think it will under those circumstances.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
[/B]

In 1900 an ounce of gold would buy you a fine suit, tie, shoes and a hat. Today an ounce of gold will buy you the same thing. God never loses it's value like the dollar. Look at it like the value of what it will buy. It's a way to keep the value of your money. In 1970 if you put a $100 bill in your nightstand today it would be worth 42 dollars. If you bought 2 oz of gold it would be worth almost $3,000.

Nice little error in spelling when you said, "God never loses value like the dollar." None the less true.

I should add that those with PMs on shtf day are apt to be robbed and killed before being able to spend it.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
It probably had something to do with govt agents standing in your living room telling you they have the bank records of the bullion coins you got from them, and its time to cough them up or go to jail, lose the house, and your family will be homeless and in the streets.

Actually such things you mentioned never happened. There were never agents going door to door. There were never agents going through safe deposit boxes. ALL FALSE.

The local banks did not keep records of your "gold bullion" because back then it was coinage, not bullion like you buy from a coin store. Nothing you claimed was anywhere near correct.

There were some prosecutions of individuals and companies with either large amounts of gold, or people pretty much openly violating the law, but not the average joe gold horder. They wanted to get access to relatively larger amounts certain people/businesses refused to relinquish. The Gov even did a "sting" to try and catch "cheats".

The original EO failed when they tried to prosecute someone under it and he fought back (he walked, but lost his gold) and they had to make new Orders. The final rule included for punishment:

"A new set of Treasury regulations was issued providing civil penalties of confiscation of all gold and imposition of fines equal to double the value of the gold seized." Nobody got 10 years in prison as the original EO threatened, but someone did get 6 months in jail and a fine.

Although these confiscation EOs were horrible and corrupt in my opinion, much of what is said about them is false. The below link explains what I am saying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you are in it to make money then you should have sold 2 weeks ago when it hit $18.61. If you put your cash in a box it also is worth 20% less and will never be worth more. I'm in it to keep my worth in case SHTF. Just watch the market go down some and both gold and silver will go up. I did day trading a few years ago and after a year I was down $28k. My Annuity in 2 years time has made me $243. Nothing is guaranteed except if the SHTF you better have some gold or silver.

Actually if you want to make money in gold (silver is a bit slow going), buy gold futures, you never own the gold, just the contract. buy when the price goes up/short when it drops, make money both ways.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree ammo, food and supplies will be important but do you really think the electric co, water co, grocery store, bank will take ammo or oranges as payment?
No, of course, they know and will accept nothing but the cloth dollar bill. That and plastic.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It probably had something to do with govt agents standing in your living room telling you they have the bank records of the bullion coins you got from them, and its time to cough them up or go to jail, lose the house, and your family will be homeless and in the streets.
Never happened.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No one ever went to jail or was prosecuted and the people that kept their gold were much better off. Just because it was illegal doesn't mean gold and fiat wasnt changing hands, dont be naive. Never heard of weed or moonshine? Lots of stuff is illegal but still happens. Laws dont stop anything especially when there is money involved.

Anyone that turned in their gold was plain stupid to believe the banker puppets and that's a fact and they regretted it soon afterwards.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one ever went to jail or was prosecuted and the people that kept their gold were much better off. Just because it was illegal doesn't mean gold and fiat wasnt changing hands, dont be naive. Never heard of weed or moonshine? Lots of stuff is illegal but still happens. Laws dont stop anything especially when there is money involved.

Anyone that turned in their gold was plain stupid to believe the banker puppets and that's a fact and they regretted it soon afterwards.

1+. Gold and silver have always been a store of value and will continue on even in this day and age.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree ammo, food and supplies will be important but do you really think the electric co, water co, grocery store, bank will take ammo or oranges as payment?

Those will be important but you are missing the thing that ties it together, FRIENDS! If you are alone and things get really bad there will be gangs that will very easily take what they need from people who are alone.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If we still have local electric, water or groceries, we’re not yet SHTF.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those will be important but you are missing the thing that ties it together, FRIENDS! If you are alone and things get really bad there will be gangs that will very easily take what they need from people who are alone.
Exactly. And how does one build a gang? With friends! :laughing7:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
If we still have local electric, water or groceries, we’re not yet SHTF.

and to me this is the crux of the issue; what is societal failure and how low is low
as long as there exists a police/military - they will be in control for their existence
'they' will tolerate no dissent and everyone will contribute - or no food
does anyone here think they would be permitted to leave ?

all kinds of futures can be speculated, not gonna be free with guns around -> guns rule

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing a friend of mine's Grandpa show me a gold bar he said he refused to return to the government. I was about 10 or 11 years old then. His grandpa but it in my hands, just to let me experience the weight to size of it. That was around 1966.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread