jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as For the Certificates ? I Never researched their Legality at the Time .
But the Article reads Like once they Gave ya Gold Certificates for your Gold,
The Certificates May have no Longer been Valid for Cash either ?
win/win for the Thieves like Roosevelt.

The Lexington advertiser. [volume]
(Lexington, Miss.), 15 June 1933.

000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=22

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, it became illegal to own Gold! Should be a bunch still out there waiting to be found! Thanks Jeff for all the great articles!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold grab of 1933 - was nothing short of federalized robbery. The idea that a govt. by force of law -would require it's citizens to exchange gold for paper is horrifying - antithetical to everything our founding documents proclaimed about Liberty , and Independance ..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turning this back to the buried caches....

The takeaway of the article should be that there is likely multiple avenues to the hoard researchers! You know the dates people would have been burying their gold. Now you should be able to track down federal reports and paperwork of the targets and the resulting confiscations (more importantly the failures to confiscate). Then you need to cross-check with death records.

Wealthy person.... suspected of hoarding gold... inability to confiscate.... sudden death shortly after which may have left something hidden.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, until God settles this once and for all the people of this country will have to fight DAILY for the freedom we hold, Communism is knocking on the door every day.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they don't have to be, imagine a Government that was for the people, by the people, oh yes, that's us. :)

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bright side is every Government is always for the people. The down side, however, it's only a small portion of the people.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Turning this back to the buried caches....

The takeaway of the article should be that there is likely multiple avenues to the hoard researchers! You know the dates people would have been burying their gold. Now you should be able to track down federal reports and paperwork of the targets and the resulting confiscations (more importantly the failures to confiscate). Then you need to cross-check with death records.

Wealthy person.... suspected of hoarding gold... inability to confiscate.... sudden death shortly after which may have left something hidden.

this list could be a BIG help
Evening star. August 13, 1933, Page A-2, Image 2
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ders&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 5.12.49 PM.png

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this list could be a BIG help
Evening star. August 13, 1933, Page A-2, Image 2
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ders&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

View attachment 1762682

yep that would be a Nice List to see.

Personally I'd Go out in the Yard, Dig a 3 foot hole & Make an Impression of
a Mason Jar in the Bottom of the Hole.
When they Come around say Sure ! I Have it Buried in the Yard.
Then take them out & Say &^%$ ! Someone robbed Me !

See there is where it was !

Seriously Though, Why would you have Registered Your Gold in the first Place ?

Even today, I would not Purchase Gold from a Place that keeps Records !

If I were Buying & if You have some for sale,
I'll get the Cash, Just Don't ask me my Name !

that's also Smart to Prevent Burglars from Knowing
your a Buyer. or Hoarder

Last edited:

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you trust banks today and think the dollar won't lose value you are a fool. Any extra money should be spent on silver/gold and buried out back so nothing can happen to it. Last year I bought 12 oz of gold maples for my mom as an investment. Today even though gold is down it still worth $3,200 more than what I paid for it. Try getting that kind of interest from a bank or other investment. Smart people have always buried their money to keep it away from the guberment.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold grab of 1933 - was nothing short of federalized robbery. The idea that a govt. by force of law -would require it's citizens to exchange gold for paper is horrifying - antithetical to everything our founding documents proclaimed about Liberty , and Independance ..
I agree with you, but, not everybody was stupid to turn their gold coins in.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi .Gee better walk to the bottom the hill and get some more TP

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you trust banks today and think the dollar won't lose value you are a fool. Any extra money should be spent on silver/gold and buried out back so nothing can happen to it. Last year I bought 12 oz of gold maples for my mom as an investment. Today even though gold is down it still worth $3,200 more than what I paid for it. Try getting that kind of interest from a bank or other investment. Smart people have always buried their money to keep it away from the guberment.
Wondering if you work for Apmex? Those that bought in 2011 are down. Down over 30% for 8 years now...currently down 20%. Terrible investment.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi .Gee better walk to the bottom the hill and get some more TP

Maybe I have a romanticized view of the past but I would like to think that anyone with a significant amount of the stuff coupled with an equal amount of sense would not turn it in.

Then again if you understand that at any given point in history slightly over half the people are idiots that's a lot of gold to the smelter.

As some consolation idiots generally don't accumulate much in the way of wealth.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only did the gov't do all of the above, but here's another twist. The price of gold was $20.67/ounce in 1933. The price being set by the gov't in 1837 and remained unchanged until 1934. Once the gov't had all the gold they raised the price of gold in 1934 to $35/ounce, thereby nearly doubling the amount that was confiscated from the people. No free market at work here, more like totalitarianism to me. Wealthy people stashed gold in '33, lots of it, I have no doubt. Gary

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if you work for Apmex? Those that bought in 2011 are down. Down over 30% for 8 years now...currently down 20%. Terrible investment.

Not really, Not when you look at all your options. You can invest in stocks which could have your investment anywhere from 100X increase to a complete loss. You can put it in a bank (the electronic version of your mattress) and watch as its value drops year after year because inflation continually robs the "value" from the dollar total. Or you can bury it in you closet, or the backyard and hope that fire or rot doesnt eat up all that fiat you squirreled away.

PMs wont burn and wont rot, wont go bankrupt, and over hundreds of years, it still has a roughly equal buying power.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought hers in 2017 when gold hit $1,258. I bought some every year since it dropped in 2011. My average today is $1,348 per ounce for my gold. That's still $142 an ounce profit. Just think if the people of Venezuela bought gold before the crash they could now live like millionaires.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread