Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With silver being used as a conductor for many devices phones. Electronics and considering all the silver being thrown away every day does anyone see silver going up in 10 years from now.I like buying the 1 oz bars for the Kids when they get older I know no one knows for sure I was wondering if I should stop investing in it I dont have lots of money but something. I can afford here and there. Is .there anything else about the same price I can buy a little at a time that might be a better investment Thanks. Tommy

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, I'd continue with buying Silver...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you ever do any coin roll hunting? I started my hoard from a score of 40+ Franklins once. I used to have a few bars and sold when it was skyrocketing to 18 dollars! haha

Now with all the fake bars and coins coming from China, I have no faith in buying bars from ANYWHERE. Now I stick with stacking silver from US Coins, not too many rosies being faked or washington quarters. And because those aren't really popular for collecting, I get them for spot or below...depending on if people know what they are actually selling.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over 2,100 oz of silver in coins and a few bars. I think silver will go up but not to the $50 point it was at. My silver is under water by $8 oz but my gold is up $223 oz. Wish I had bought more gold than silver. When the market goes up gold and silver go down. When it goes down gold and silver go up. It's only a matter of time the market corrects and that could be 10% - 50% so I'd say within 3 - 5 yrs both gold and silver will go up. Right now at $17 oz it's a good deal. Heck, just a few weeks ago it was almost $18. Buy Canadian maples the most pure and can be sold anywhere. The local pawn shop won't take my bars....

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering coin roll hunting for sure.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin roll hunting is a lot of fun... I don't do it often but a few months ago I got a whole roll of 67 halfs... my hands were shaking with excitement.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did $500 in quarters today. Got nothing. I keep losing money doing all this. Good thing I've dug some decent stuff. I do not collect coins or stack silver. When I get a couple hundred dollars worth from CRH I sell it. I know too many folks who have been robbed, and homeowners insurance either doesn't cover it or it's limited to $1000 unless you get a hugely expensive endorsement to your policy.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did $500 in quarters today. Got nothing. I keep losing money doing all this. Good thing I've dug some decent stuff. I do not collect coins or stack silver. When I get a couple hundred dollars worth from CRH I sell it. I know too many folks who have been robbed, and homeowners insurance either doesn't cover it or it's limited to $1000 unless you get a hugely expensive endorsement to your policy.

The key Smokey is to buy a 5 gal water cooler from Home depot with the screw on top. Bury it in the yard, put a large tile and bird bath over it and stash your goods in it. No storm, fire or thief can touch it and only you know where it is. Of course I found even a better way to stash my goods but I ain't tellin you guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did try coin roll hunting for silver and the W mint quarters this alot of work unrolling and rerolling in frustration lol I think I did about 10 times of 1 hundred dollars I did find a goose egg 0 zero keepers I think I'll try halves I might Half better luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping so

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with any silver, Tommy. How is your detecting going in the Michigan frozen tundra? I am back at your old stomping grounds for the winter and am planning a good hunt for this Tuesday. It has been in the 80's here. Stay warm and good luck. John.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John glad your back in AZ I haven't got out much working 2 to 3 jobs trying to pay for the 2 Girls and College ect I'm freakin tired my friend hoping maybe next year I'll get out more. Look forward to seeing your posts from Mesa hope alls well with you and yours. Tommy

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver, lousy investment. OK for a hedge. Both times that there was a large spike in price, was not because of fundamentals in the market, but manipulation.

25 years between both those events, and they were short lived. Yes, I still collect.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy the 1 oz bars or maple leaf 5 Canadian coin just because they are cheap and I dont want to save cash cause I'm not good at holding cash and even if it doesn't go up it will still be something for my kids in the future they are both in College I'm working a few jobs just to get them through. I cant afford stocks or bonds.I hope it goes up it's not probable but if we knew what would be valuable in the future we would all be rich kinda like if we knew the 1970 hemi cuda convertible which cost a mere 5000 dollars in 1970 would be worth 6 figures today either way it's something and I sleep better at night well a little better

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does gold lol

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With silver being used as a conductor for many devices phones. Electronics and considering all the silver being thrown away every day does anyone see silver going up in 10 years from now.I like buying the 1 oz bars for the Kids when they get older I know no one knows for sure I was wondering if I should stop investing in it I dont have lots of money but something. I can afford here and there. Is .there anything else about the same price I can buy a little at a time that might be a better investment Thanks. Tommy

Tommy...….silver (and gold) is guaranteed to do one of three things...…...go up, go down, or stay the same. Ask 20 different people/experts and you'll get 20 different opinions. ALL investments contain a certain amount of risk...…..remember the baseball card craze? Beanie babies? I buy silver and gold and hold it until I can make a profit but sometimes I have to hold for years. Put aside whatever you can afford, even if it's only a little bit each month or year and over time you'll have a tidy little sum saved up. Don't tell people around you that you have it. Loose lips sink ships and you just never know who'll want to rob you. I buy 90% junk silver coins and bullion gold coins....small difference between buy and sell prices so risk isn't high. As prices fluctuate from time of purchase to the next time you buy use the price averaging method to determine your cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy...….silver (and gold) is guaranteed to do one of three things...…...go up, go down, or stay the same. Ask 20 different people/experts and you'll get 20 different opinions. ALL investments contain a certain amount of risk...…..remember the baseball card craze? Beanie babies? I buy silver and gold and hold it until I can make a profit but sometimes I have to hold for years. Put aside whatever you can afford, even if it's only a little bit each month or year and over time you'll have a tidy little sum saved up. Don't tell people around you that you have it. Loose lips sink ships and you just never know who'll want to rob you. I buy 90% junk silver coins and bullion gold coins....small difference between buy and sell prices so risk isn't high. As prices fluctuate from time of purchase to the next time you buy use the price averaging method to determine your cost.
Thanks for the reply. It's always hard to predict but I can afford a little here and there. Appreciate your reply I've also noticed what you said ask 20 people 20 different opinions lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread