Gold and Silver COT reports

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Check out the latest Commitment of Traders (COT) Report. It shows the positions of three categories of traders in the Comex Gold and Silver markets: Commercials, Large Speculators, and Small Speculators. It is often said that the "smart money" is the Commercials and that they tend to be more correctly situated when trends begin or end, even though at times the market does move against their general "positions".

Right now the Commercials are more heavily short (betting price drops) than any time I can remember since I have been watching the numbers over the past few years in silver and gold.

Since it appears (hopefully) that WW3 will be avoided for now, I will bet silver and gold will drop for the short term. But probably not below the lows from the past year or two in silver.

If the Iran situation turns bad again then both gold and silver should go up again. But the US dollar is holding up right now and not dropping. In times of world danger the US dollar goes up generally since it is still the most trusted currency in the world.

I think if silver and gold ever go up in a sustained manner it will be based on a dollar/currency weakness reason. More QE and such would be beneficial for gold and silver. Lower interest rates are good for PMs as well.

COT Gold, Silver and US Dollar Index Report - January 6, 2020

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info Thanks I'm hoping PMs go up down the road

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Good info Thanks I'm hoping PMs go up down the road

Silver and gold will have their day at some point. Probably be like Bitcoin and everyone will be wanting to buy it too late of course. I think silver and gold will go up due to some US dollar calamity or issue. That seems to be a sure thing of happening someday but the issue is when?

The fact that the overnight repo market is requiring billions to be injected should be a warning sign that something is happening now under the radar that later will show up as a big problem.

Similar types of things that happened before 2008 were overlooked and after the fact seen to have been prognostications of future doom. I believe these repo market issues are just one of many to come.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/13/fed-ramping-up-repo-operations-to-head-off-year-end-funding-issues.html

[url]https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-14/fed-announces-plans-for-repo-operations-through-to-mid-february

[/URL]

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be way off with this hypothetical, but, bear with me please....
I feel you may be more knowledgeable, in these things, than I am.

Under our current administration, it's been touted about returning to the Gold Standard.
The only way I could see us doing that, is if we default on our national debt, to the Central bank.
What would or could they do about it, if we did?

That could possibly wipe out our national debt, return us to the Gold Standard, and,
have both US dollars & gold, on the rise,
could it not?
I wouldn't see this happening, until after Nov elections, though....
Thoughts?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not possible. Our system is debt based and requires billions in injections to keep everything afloat.
We also have a small problem of 22 million government employees in america that dont make anyone any money. Most of them would need to find other jobs and theres no jobs. We cant afford a govt this size without 23 trillion of debt.
That alone is not sustainable and would create a depression in itself.
On top of our other problems theres just no way.
Gold would have to reach $10000 to equal the inflation that has been printed.
Real money isnt something we could have in this environment.
America as we know it could not exist without trillions printed every year from thin air.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a difference a month can make... :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

PLs allow me to repost that question....

Johnnybravo300, is there any way, with todays current situation,
that you could see or figure out a way, if one was trying to
revert us back to the gold standard, that it could be accomplished? :dontknow:

Just curious, your thoughts, pls... ;D
like a cat :cat: :laughing7:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure it could be done but it wont. The last thing they want is for us to have real money.
Their control and power rests with us staying in a debt based currency that is constantly debased.
This is why political debating is a waste of time. Everyone picks the same side whether they know it or not.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread