Anyone here buying or selling silver recently?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Yeah I won't be buying right now. I have a little stash of silver from what I have dug plus what I have bought. Not enough to get rich by any means, but I won't buy until it comes down some. If it never comes down and keeps going up, I guess I will just miss out. It's a guessing game.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most things in life no certainty. I just figured with all the countries taking on a crazy amount of debt and printing money like there's no tomorrow it's worth a shot to put some silver in reserve.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roger,

We all know you're a gold bug but....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

A few things to keep in mind though the gold to silver ratio is extremely high compared to the historical range.

Silver has way more industrial uses than gold.

It's also considered the poor man's gold because it's more reasonable costwise.

In a shtf scenario trying to cash in 1 ounce of gold versus 1 ounce of silver to buy some basics such as bread which one would be more liquid? Food for thought!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger,

We all know you're a gold bug but....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

A few things to keep in mind though the gold to silver ratio is extremely high compared to the historical range.

Silver has way more industrial uses than gold.

It's also considered the poor man's gold because it's more reasonable costwise.

In a shtf scenario trying to cash in 1 ounce of gold versus 1 ounce of silver to buy some basics such as bread which one would be more liquid? Food for thought!

In the "old days" ( 1880s)a pinch of gold bought you a cocktail .A file, a few seconds later, and a 1 oz.bar will buy what ever you need.:) Something to think about :)
And you don't need to be a "rich man" to dig gold :)
And yes, Gold makes the world go round :) 009.JPG

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roger,

I've probably got about 20 or so gold rings as well as a few other items I've detected over the years. So my plan B is covered both for silver and gold.

We also have a decent amount of non perishable food stockpiled and lots of seeds for the garden. We've got most bases covered for a shtf scenario that could very well be coming our way.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger,

I've probably got about 20 or so gold rings as well as a few other items I've detected over the years. So my plan B is covered both for silver and gold.

We also have a decent amount of non perishable food stockpiled and lots of seeds for the garden. We've got most bases covered for a shtf scenario that could very well be coming our way.

Th turned me on to a survival/freeze dried food website...4Patriots has a 4 week survival food kit for $197. It includes 184 meals in a plastic tote, for easy storage...check it out!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TC,

Just a ballpark guess but between 2 freezers and a few pantries we should be good for about 6 months of food in a worse case scenario.

Throw in our upcoming gardening season and we can stretch it out further. I also forage and we make jams, jellies, preserves and fermented foods as well as beer and wine from kits.

At least 2 years cushion of basic expenses put aside.

If the shtf we should be better equipped than most folks.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
TC,

Just a ballpark guess but between 2 freezers and a few pantries we should be good for about 6 months of food in a worse case scenario.

Throw in our upcoming gardening season and we can stretch it out further. I also forage and we make jams, jellies, preserves and fermented foods as well as beer and wine from kits.

At least 2 years cushion of basic expenses put aside.

If the shtf we should be better equipped than most folks.
Two freezers here also, one holding half a fresh steer. We’re ok too if the grid stays up. I garden but my wife and kids won’t eat greens or fruits, which I suppose isn’t that unusual. I tell ‘em they’ve never been truly hungry before. I have taught them the value of PM’s, and both my kids at a young age were roll hunters.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I'm with you guys. Been preparing for this for the last 10 years and have many preps and years of wages saved.
We decided to leave the city and we live off grid with national forest for my backyard. Plenty of food around here and abundance.
Has been more than sustainable and awesome learning experience.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's surprising how little you can get by on when you do most things from scratch for yourself. Just takes a bit of extra effort but well worth it in my opinion.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Watching the news on here, and hearing it downstairs with Mom's TV. It ain't cool out there now. I pray it's not leading to the destruction of law & order. And then we are going to be responsible for our own existence in the times coming forward. It's just about past time to prep.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Watching the news on here, and hearing it downstairs with Mom's TV. It ain't cool out there now. I pray it's not leading to the destruction of law & order. And then we are going to be responsible for our own existence in the times coming forward. It's just about past time to prep.

????
Would be nice to hear foot traffic at 2/10 of a mile here on the road. And the most likely paths in the woods, and along the fence...
(No , I won't be cashing in any silver for an alarm.)

https://www.amazon.com/Driveway-Wir...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863985814480&psc=1

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to continue holding in place. That stuff is meant for really hard times - though I do fear we may get there pretty soon.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could sell a Libertad and buy that alarm haha. That's pretty sad!
It doesnt seem like a bad idea really if it something that would work and animals wouldnt set it off all the time.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Went to a couple local dealers over the weekend and was surprised how little inventory they had. One store had nothing available and was only taking orders for generic rounds, etc. The wait time if you wanted that was 12 to 16 weeks for the metals to arrive. The other had some 10 oz bars for $4.50 over melt! No way am I paying that.

I gave up on the stores and contacted one of my smaller time coin dealer acquaintances (only buys/sells wholesale with other dealers) and he offered me Mexico un peso coins for 50 cents over melt per coin (.720 purity). Really pretty coins that are mostly AU and are from the 1930s and 1940s. I haven't been doing my dollar cost averaging lately so I took them all. In the good old days I wouldn't have paid over melt but in these times I guess it was worth it.

Here is what they look like.

https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins.pl?coin=1556

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a couple local dealers over the weekend and was surprised how little inventory they had. One store had nothing available and was only taking orders for generic rounds, etc. The wait time if you wanted that was 12 to 16 weeks for the metals to arrive. The other had some 10 oz bars for $4.50 over melt! No way am I paying that.

$4.50/toz over spot premium is practically a 50-75% discount in today's market. APMEX is getting $8 to $14

Last I bought was some 2018 RCM Snow Owls for $4/toz over spot. I think nobody wanted them because they are 1-1/2toz. Instead of one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread