The "silversqueeze" movement

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
By now most silverbugs have seen or heard of the movement that began earlier this year which is trying to squeeze the silver shorts. Most of this comes from wallstreetsilver which is on reddit.

I believe that this "movement" will be the catalyst that drives the price of silver upward to new highs. What will help this price movement is also tremendous amounts of new gov debt/money printing, high value levels in most all other speculative assets like home prices, stock market, bitcoin, beanie babies and more. All assets move in cycles and silver now is the only one I can think of with prices lower now than in 1980. Think about that. Gold and other metals are far above their 1980 prices. Why isn't silver? Especially considering how much silver is needed in industrial applications. And I'm only taking nominal dollar value (not accounting for inflation).

What is interesting to me is when I lurk on other PM blog sites, I see roughly 90% of posters poo pooing this movement and making cracks about the buyers being somewhat foolish. Now this is coming from folks who most likely listened, followed and believed the silver pumper pundits who've been wrong since 2011. But now these silverbugs are smart and enlightened and won't be fooled again by these new silver bugs who are buying silver with religious fervor. The wallstreetsilver site even raised over 100K to buy billboards in certain places to promote silver buying.

If these new silverbugs (and old ones) keep up the buying like they have been, it is just a matter of time until we see $30+ silver as a new floor for prices. We will see $50 silver this year.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I heard the same story back in 1965 ??? and where has silver gone ??? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Well I heard the same story back in 1965 ??? and where has silver gone ??? :icon_scratch:

Silver was worth roughly $1.29 in 1965. It's up a little from there I think.

PS I know most folks here don't believe me. Talk to a coin dealer and ask about the wholesale market, etc. Also, go to a local coin store and tell them you want to buy some silver near spot price. Let us know how that goes. :hello2:

Last edited:

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ape likes shiny...Ape has diamond hands

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kitco and APMEX are low on stock. Not just silver but gold too. Premiums are higher than ever.

So yeah, people are buying silver.

Is it enough to offset manipulation through fake paper silver contracts? Time will tell. Inflation wil play a role as well. When you add more dollars to a supply and demand system the prices always go up.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Kitco and APMEX are low on stock. Not just silver but gold too. Premiums are higher than ever.

So yeah, people are buying silver.

Is it enough to offset manipulation through fake paper silver contracts? Time will tell. Inflation wil play a role as well. When you add more dollars to a supply and demand system the prices always go up.

I think it would take some time for all the retail buying to have a real effect. Investor demand has been relatively low compared to industrial demand and such over past years. The amount of people who invest in or own silver bullion or coins is so low relative to the population in general that if over time the percentage of silver buyers increases sufficiently that could have some impact on available supply assuming industrial use stays strong, etc. But it will take heavy institutional investor demand (buyers) to really move the price in the ETF or paper markets.

It seems like all the conditions necessary for silver to do well exist. Huge money printing, gov debt, inflation around the corner possibly. Plus there is a gigantic cup and handle chart formation from 1980 till now and we are in the handle and it is moving up generally. That is a very bullish chart formation and having one that many years would add strength to any breakout. Plus add the wallstreetsilver effect to the whole picture and it seems like a perfect storm so to speak for silver to do well in the coming months/years. I'm actually glad there are so many doubters amongst the PM crowd about anything big going to happen in the price, etc.

I already have my silver from past years of stacking and am not buying at these prices now except rare occasions when a great deal presents itself, so I wouldn't mind seeing lower prices.

Check out the chart in the article showing the cup and handle. This article is from Dec 2020 so it doesn't show recent price action.

https://investinghaven.com/commodities-gold/silver-price-chart-50-years/

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver was worth roughly $1.29 in 1965. It's up a little from there I think.

PS I know most folks here don't believe me. Talk to a coin dealer and ask about the wholesale market, etc. Also, go to a local coin store and tell them you want to buy some silver near spot price. Let us know how that goes. :hello2:

Yes it has ( its now at $25.40 per oz.) .Calculating inflation on $2.00 in 1965 into 2020 dollars equals $16.47 . So actually silver has increased by $18.93 per oz.w/ in the last 1/2 Century.At that rate one would need to have tons of it OR... live to be 200 .
>> https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=2&year=1965

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
What other commodities/assets besides silver drop in price as demand soars and availability disappears? I can't think of any. Talking about the paper price, not real physical price you pay when you obtain it.

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The premiums appear to be coming down some. Honestly, I hope the reddit people go back to "stonks"

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dd7df496a687edc687c5ffabfce16bd5e64d2ff8563ab549c474e49035604f05_1.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't care where the market goes, up, down, sideways = whatever.

I accumulated pounds along the way for the very long term = goes to my kids after I pass. I'm completely debt free and living perfectly fine on just SSN only. I doubt I'll ever need to sell anything.

But I will say, having it stored safely - sure does give me a sense of "security" in this mad, mad world.

Heck, this world is at the point it may take an ounce to purchase a loaf of bread at someday. Can't eat the silver anyway - me thinks it would clog the digestive system.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I just sold some of my silver quarters and got $4.13 each, did I do okay? Be Honest!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday it was $4.52.....

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
So if I just sold some of my silver quarters and got $4.13 each, did I do okay? Be Honest!
Looks like that’s about 10% below current spot. Not bad, not good either. With the “silver squeeze” you probably could have done better. Premiums are averaging above spot currently. Quantity and condition also comes into play. I’m seeing a lot of slicks being sold for way above spot, as if there’s desperation in finding any junk silver at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread