catalytic converters

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
rennie said:
:)I am just wondering if platinum is as heavy or nearly as heavy as gold? Can it be panned like gold? Could you take the ceramic parts of a catalytic converters and pound them like gold baring ore and then pan it out? I am just a dumb old country boy wondering??
It’s heavy than gold. The most common way to extract microscopic platinum from the catalyst is by chemical extraction using an acid mixture called aqua regia (royal water), a nitric and hydrochloric acid mixture.

OP
OP
rennie

rennie

Aug 26, 2007
New Braunfels, Tx
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
:)I don't want to mess with chemicals. It seems that you could use an apparatus like a stamp mill and do it like the old timers did. It would not impact the environment so much?? ???

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
rennie said:
:)I don't want to mess with chemicals. It seems that you could use an apparatus like a stamp mill and do it like the old timers did. It would not impact the environment so much?? ???
We’re talking microscopic particles, not visible stuff. The platinum in the catalyst that automobile catalytic converters use needs to be set in suspension for extraction. Acid can be naturalized so that it doesn’t affect the environment. Of course, you would need some experience working with chemicals. If it was as easy as panning or whatever we would all be platinum rich, but it’s not, so we keep wishing and thinking of efficient of ways to extract it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread