Would you buy gold for $220 an ounce? in %40ers? or $85 per ounce in %90s?

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have to ask and this is a very serious question, particularly to all of you who trade in there coins for other things.

How many on here would be willing to trade there 40s for gold?

Say 2 rolls or just a coin or two or three more for a tenth ounce of fine gold?
Or say $8.50 face in 90%ers for the same?

Of coarse the above prices will vary depending on market. But what is more appealing too you? a box or bag of heavy annoying dirty %40s.
Or a handful of Beautiful gleaming pure gold in tenth ounce size that is easily carried, stored and liquidated?

I have been working with Some of you and know exactly what I am getting at and have coming up soon. But this is for "market research"

let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

David

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me, I'm keeping my silver. It looks like it'll be the biggest winner in this year's metal surges, up 30% in just 75 days. Gold is prettier, takes up lots less space but it can't match that profit level.

Gabev71

Dec 23, 2006
Stockton, Ca
if the deal was fair for both parties then its something i would be interested in. always good to diversify what you have, just incase the price of one metal goes into a free fall. you havent lost everything you invested.

bnsfhobo

Aug 29, 2007
Oklahoma City
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's M6
Hey David,

I wouldn't mind diverversifing some of the silver. But if my math right would that come out to about $1300 per oz of gold??

Hugh

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take the gold over the silver

S

seger98

Immy said:
Not me, I'm keeping my silver. It looks like it'll be the biggest winner in this year's metal surges, up 30% in just 75 days. Gold is prettier, takes up lots less space but it can match that profit level.

I'm with Immy, I'd hold my silver, more profit potential in the long run I think!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree there is no Prifit potential in buying gold.
Just the potential to live the way you do now.
Gold Rises with the cost of living.

The Potental of silver is much higher.
at least in my mind, I still see silver doubling
maybe trippling before the years over.

Even Copper has the potential to go from being
Evaluated at $2 - $3 a pound
to being priced by the OZ eventually.
maybe even in our lifetimes.

1893 spelled the end of an era of silver by the repeal of the "Sherman Silver Act". Almost immediately mines and smelters began to shut down in Colorado. Silver prices dropped from .83 cents to .62 cents an ounce in one 4 day period. Banks closed their doors and real estate values plummeted.

http://www.ellensplace.net/hcg_fac8.html

Old news but wouldn't
Surprise me.

Breakout is now confirmed beyond all doubting, and the silver price is moving into the hyperbolic part of its rise. 'Twill pass gold like the roadrunner passes the coyote.

http://www.goldprice.org/silver-and-gold-prices/2008/02/how-high-will-gold-price-go.html

Wouldn't that be nice ?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
At today's (3/17/08), closing price of $20.36, you are asking for 17 - 90% @ $7.36 market value = $125.12 for 1/10 oz. of gold.
That translates to $1,251.00 which is a 25% premium on gold. Not a very good deal for most of us - we'd be far better off trading silver for Krugerrands.
I guess your proposal is based on the face value of 40% halves?
I do know what you mean though, and might take 1 depending on the design and .999 fine gold.

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of course any deal would be on the day the deal is made as markets do fluctuate and change daily.
This is merely an offer to see if people would be interested in trading, but like anything. It would be on a case by case basis as far as trade goes. each party has to be happy to make it work.
the problem with the 40s is the same with anyone else, they are more expensive to process.
I was thinking that offering them at what I get at 96% vs 90% or 80% that some sell at, would be a welcome thing.
Also, Any small denomination gold coin is going to be $10 to $15 over spot or more. So Yes, that is %15 to %20 over spot. Just as if you got them via a coin dealer. The same goes for a 1 ounce. However we are not producing 1 ounces yet.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Ads are claiming that gold has advanced 16% recently. In the same period silver has advanced 39%. If you are processing junk silver to make silver bars stay with the 40%. You will be giving up nothing in numiosmatic value unless they are error coins. I would probably trade for one tenth ounce gold coin for the novelty of knowing the man who made it. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gabev71 said:
if the deal was fair for both parties then its something i would be interested in. always good to diversify what you have, just incase the price of one metal goes into a free fall. you havent lost everything you invested.

What investment? For the CRH there is no investment--they're always worth face value, at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions