Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I go to the Gold prospectors of the Rockies meetings most months. They meet the third Wed of each month and have a finds of the month contest with several categories. As a result I've been keeping my gold organized and tracked from one meeting to the next to compete for the category "Most Raw Gold of the Month". I thought it would be fun to share the monthly journey here. This first pic is what I've done since the last meeting on the third Wed of January. The lead is just from my last outing and weighs 17 grams. All done with my BGT Prospector of course. No way I'd get this much by hand if I had to classify. In fact at this location I'm two steps from paydirt to sluice so no buckets used except at sluice cleanup...gotta love that :)

image-2590197197.jpg PS the weights and dates go from the top gold around counterclockwise in the dish starting at 11 o'clock.

Attachments

• image-448526849.jpg
    image-448526849.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
is all that from just that creek we went too?
haha, wouldn't you like to know! It is all from one hole in one creek down here in South metro Denver but that's all I'll say for now. I'll show you exactly where after I finish cleaning it out ;-)

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
hahaha im not going to take your spot... im not that kinda guy, dont forget i got 2 stream right down the street full of gold:) but congrats on the score!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're the best Tweeta, not worried about that! This current hole is the best I've seen in metro Denver and is a good reminder that there are still hot spots out there to be found in modest little creeks :) around town.
BTW the total digging time represented by that pic is about 5.5 hours.this time of year most of my outings are pretty short as I'm digging after work and before it gets dark.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Do you mean you can prospect in the city limits? Here in Placerville CA. it is illegal, and there are some nice looking creeks with bedrock exposed. It is a shame.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you mean you can prospect in the city limits? Here in Placerville CA. it is illegal, and there are some nice looking creeks with bedrock exposed. It is a shame.
sad to hear that. Yes, I'm in the city limits of various suburbs and in the City of Denver too! There are a few towns or park districts with bans in place but most governmental entities here are open to manual and battery operated prospecting. Gotta love this town :)

The big news in town last fall was the formal creation of the Arapahoe Prospecting Park in the suburb of Wheatridge on the west side of town. It is the site of Arapahoe City which was one of the first settlements created at the beginning of the CO goldrush. The town was later obliterated by the giant river dredges around 1906-8 but those dredges left a lot of fine gold for us :-D

The next big win looks to be expanded access up in Clear Creek Canyon as Jefferson County extends the recreational path up river. Their Open Space Parks director told us in a recent meeting that the logistical needs of visiting prospectors are a specific need they will focus on...love being welcomed! (PS you can run a 4" dredge in the canyon without any permit, anytime you want)

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for posting the pic Kevin. Also really enjoy the historical information you drop into your posts every now and then.

I may have totally butchered the math on this, but I figured you made about 135.00 dollars an hour for that take.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish! More like $50 in 5.5 hours of digging plus maybe 2.5 of cons processing...so about $6/hour. Better at Burger King...not that impressive. If only I could do that well consistently. Usually I only get1/2 that, sometimes less of course. Well, except when I can get up to my buddy's mountain claim I guess but that's under many feet of snow now...

Last edited:

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
I wish! More like $135 in 5.5 hours of digging plus maybe 2.5 of cons processing...so about $16/hour. Better than Burger King but not that impressive. If only I could do that well consistently. Usually I only get1/2 that, sometimes less of course. Well, except when I can get up to my buddy's mountain claim I guess but that's under many feet of snow now...

i got a couple snow shovels and that big truck... lets go, id do all the snow shoveling! lol jk

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking piles Kevin!
thanks! Happy to be your poster child for high fines production with a BGT! Now if I only had paydirt with pieces that got caught in the grizzly, sure would be nice to test out how that works lol

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin - there is a small percentage of us fighting for our rights in calif. I am more and more convinced that beating ourselves up at the state and federal level, and in court, is a waste. But at local city, county levels, we have some influence. I would really like to hear what you and your club has done to work with
local officials, to create the friendly atmosphere you enjoy. Perhaps a thread on that subject, ok ?

"We either restore local government, or submit to global governance" Kirk MacKenzie DRA

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, Do you know how far up Clear Creek access will be expanded? If it happens.
Hi Leonard! the Open space Rep said the goal was to go all the way up Clear creek canyon to the west edge of Jefferson county and then to link with the path that runs to Idaho Springs. The bad news is that some of it will be very, very expensive to build due to the narrow canyon and existing road so they are doing pieces of it now as road rebuilding projects and open space funding allows.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin - there is a small percentage of us fighting for our rights in calif. I am more and more convinced that beating ourselves up at the state and federal level, and in court, is a waste. But at local city, county levels, we have some influence. I would really like to hear what you and your club has done to work with local officials, to create the friendly atmosphere you enjoy. Perhaps a thread on that subject, ok ? "We either restore local government, or submit to global governance" Kirk MacKenzie DRA
will do...

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Leonard! the Open space Rep said the goal was to go all the way up Clear creek canyon to the west edge of Jefferson county and then to link with the path that runs to Idaho Springs. The bad news is that some of it will be very, very expensive to build due to the narrow canyon and existing road so they are doing pieces of it now as road rebuilding projects and open space funding allows.

Thanks for the info Kevin. Will keep an eye on that for sure.

BTW, put in my order for a 36" Prospector today. Can't wait to try it out. In case it hasn't been mentioned, I saw on the BGT sight that they are developing a new product called "The Sniper" which I guess is a longer version of the Mini.

http://www.bazookagoldtrap.com/blog/the-bazooka-gold-trap-sniper-sluice-box/

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent Leonard! Mine is only the 30" but I think the 36 would be better personally. Of course I got mine on Craig's list for 1/2 price from a local prospector who was giving it up (to pay attention to his brand new baby daughter!). At that price, I just went with what was available! Sure glad I did. At this point I would also recommend the thicker grizzly bars as mine are starting to get bent up from 18 months of frequent use...popping rocks out that get jammed between the grizzly bars does cause a little bending over time. Not enough to affect operation at all bit still...

PS that new model looks good, i like how they listen to feedback and keep innovating!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought... Random.... One each.....

Well... you SAID to post "Random Thoughts" Kev. So ya kind of left yourself open for that one.

The more I hear about the BGT the more I wish we had enough water here to put one to use. We jut might be able to find one of those "Grizzly Pickers" like you're wanting in time.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought... Random.... One each..... Well... you SAID to post "Random Thoughts" Kev. So ya kind of left yourself open for that one. The more I hear about the BGT the more I wish we had enough water here to put one to use. We jut might be able to find one of those "Grizzly Pickers" like you're wanting in time.
you sir are always welcome wherever I am!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread