Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife doesnt believe its possible to lose track of time like that ( I do it often ). You get fixated an in a rythim and before you know it it's dark!

Great job Kevin, I am headed out on Monday to youngsfield ( what a gorgeous clean little spot ).

Have a great weekend everyone, and heavy buckets!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love following your thead! Keep it up!
My wife doesnt believe its possible to lose track of time like that ( I do it often ). You get fixated an in a rythim and before you know it it's dark! Great job Kevin, I am headed out on Monday to youngsfield ( what a gorgeous clean little spot ). Have a great weekend everyone, and heavy buckets!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it means a lot!

When I got home, my wife was sorta impatient with me because she had texted me after I'd been gone about an hour and I didn't respond...oops, guess I REALLY lost track of the time but like you said P70, I got into a rhythm and had a goal to clean out a certain area :-/

Enjoy The Arapahoe Bar Prospecting Park P70 :) I am still so thrilled we got that designated a prospecting park!! What timeframe will you be there?

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the encouragement guys, it means a lot! When I got home, my wife was sorta impatient with me because she had texted me after I'd been gone about an hour and I didn't respond...oops, guess I REALLY lost track of the time but like you said P70, I got into a rhythm and had a goal to clean out a certain area :-/ Enjoy The Arapahoe Bar Prospecting Park P70 :) I am still so thrilled we got that designated a prospecting park!! What timeframe will you be there?
You totally Rock kevin! Im sure Most, if not All of us agree. :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks TGP!

Update from yesterday: 0.37 grams, all -20 mesh so no larger flakes this time which is sorta odd for this creek, usually I'll get a larger flake or two when I move that much material. Anyway, nice start to my new month :)

image-3248854255.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great work Kevin! Looks like you're getting about .17 grams
better than my recent average..:occasion14:

.....my wife was sorta impatient with me ...

What a tactful way to say she gave you an earful...
bur2.gif~original

No worries..in my vast experience so long as she didn't draw blood
or use the word "Lawyer" in between numerous colorful metaphors,
you're OK...:laughing7:

Truthfully, I'm spoiled as hell. ANYtime I feel up to going, she's
cheering for me to "find a bunch of gold". I do leave her info on
where I'm headed, and roughly when I'll be home, plus she knows
I run out of steam after about 4 hrs..
sSig_aaarggh.gif~original

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably get there between 9-10 will update if that changes. will naturally lose track of time and go long. Look for the big hole with a 4 foot void of pure blackness churning dirts nearby. <3

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
probably get there between 9-10 will update if that changes. will naturally lose track of time and go long. Look for the big hole with a 4 foot void of pure blackness churning dirts nearby. <3
hope you do great...after consulting with my better half, I'm going a different direction to prospect an area with wild flowers in the area so she can do some photography while I dig :-) I'm excited to have a day together exploring around. We will be in eastern Douglas and western Elbert Counties. Wish me luck!

HangtownDiggins - thanks for the kudos, means a lot coming from a productive miner like you!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto here, I'm going to try Plum Creek down south somewhere maybe. The platte and clear creek are booming too high atm, maybe cherry creek later who knows.

Good hunting everyone!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ditto here, I'm going to try Plum Creek down south somewhere maybe. The platte and clear creek are booming too high atm, maybe cherry creek later who knows. Good hunting everyone!
cherry creek is a good idea, look for a place where they've put in big rocks to prevent erosion and clean out the material caught among the big rocks...they tend to act as natural riffles in that urban creek. Either way,I think you are smart to head for the smaller creeks, the spring runoff is making the big drainages dangerous right now!

My friend Don was running one of his guided adventures yesterday on Clear Creek and they lost a couple pans and a sucker bottle as they got blown downstream by the fast water!! Hmm, wonder how much gold was in that sucker bottle when it floated away...anyone want to volunteer to pick up "trash" in Clear Creek after the water goes down? LoL!

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos Kevin.. for a great informative and entertaining thread..I see the makins for a reality TV show.. ;)

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kudos Kevin.. for a great informative and entertaining thread..I see the makins for a reality TV show.. ;) Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Thanks Herby. I actually had a producer approach me a couple years ago about doing a show about urban prospecting but he wanted to stage all sorts of stupid stuff so I ended up saying no.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-1920053838.jpg Went out to prospect a new area today. Couldn't pan, just grabbed some dry material to check later but saw these four deer when I looked up from digging my samples :) And here's the four specs of gold from my one and only sample pan: image-1445949847.jpg
Ain't much but it proves there's gold in that area of the creek and it adds a new Colorado county to my list of counties where I've found wild gold so there's that...Elbert County :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2761814177.jpg Got out this morning for a while to a new spot on a creek I know has gold. Will post results later but my quick creek side pan showed less gold than I look for in this part of town...still had an awesome couple of hours of course :) image-991710303.jpg Weight 0.04 grams...small but pretty :)

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, the Platte and Clear Creek are still Thundering along! *Shakes fist at mountains* Melt! You *******s!
I'm going to get the shakes soon if I can't dig... lol

<3

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, the Platte and Clear Creek are still Thundering along! *Shakes fist at mountains* Melt! You *******s!
I'm going to get the shakes soon if I can't dig... lol

<3

Patience grasshopper, patience..can't believe you don't have some black sands or something to process ;) And your honey-dos are all done?...They're NEVER all done...

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good and bad I know, more water to recycle the gold.

Working the honeydo's to death. Next is mulch delivery/spread in the back yard. Hey that's a little shoveling at least...
I've been eyeballing *censored* gulch at lunch, not sure how much water is down there, but surely enough to run a pan or two... nice steep walls in it in places.
May have to try that one next, the wife forbids me to go into clear creek until the tourists stop drowning in it...

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i take my pans everywhere i go. never know what i might come across in a lunch break on on the way home from work. it may only be 30 min of panning but it sure does give me my fix. God, we all sound like heroin addicts

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one more shovel full.... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread