Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts) - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree857Likes

Thread: Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Cool stuff, I saw that thread when you posted it but didn't realize that was here in the Denver area, will keep them in mind. Our other option is MSI, Freddy Dodge's company but new gear needs a LOT of gold in the ground to justify it so we'll see...

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    18511 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    Way cool pic, tamrock - thank you. This was when gold was less than 30 bucks an oz. If you do the math, its a wonder why Kevin does not have hordes of people beside him on the creeks today. Of course the gov't was not as involved with subsistence then.
    Worth maybe 80 to 90 cents a gram so if you could to pull out 2 to 3 grams a day, That sure would keep beans on the table and some in those days. I've seen some old home-built rocker boxes in the antique shops that I would guess came from the depression era. I should have bought this one I saw in Montrose Colorado as it was like 40 bucks. If it's still there next time I go by that place I think I'll make an offer on it just to have as an interesting piece of decor.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Worth maybe 80 to 90 cents a gram so if you could to pull out 2 to 3 grams a day, That sure would keep beans on the table and some in those days. I've seen some old home-built rocker boxes in the antique shops that I would guess came from the depression era. I should have bought this one I saw in Montrose Colorado as it was like 40 bucks. If it's still there next time I go by that place I think I'll make an offer on it just to have as an interesting piece of decor.
    cool idea to grab an old rocker. The city of Denver used to rent them to residents for five cents a day during the depression and yes, I'm told people did keep their family fed that way. Today a 4" dredge could still pull a gram or so per day out of the South Platte but no power equipment is allowed in town of course. I did meet a homeless guy one time who pans for liquor money but that's another story...

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    18511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Cool stuff, I saw that thread when you posted it but didn't realize that was here in the Denver area, will keep them in mind. Our other option is MSI, Freddy Dodge's company but new gear needs a LOT of gold in the ground to justify it so we'll see...
    I think I could just about get the small one for scrap metal price. I could down play the heck out of that one and with a dismantle and sandblast job and some bearing replacements on it I believe I could have it up and running like a charm. We've got a shop in Carlin Nevada we no longer use to fix stuff in and I could work on it at night as I'm out for a week at a time when I go to the mines in that area. The compressor and sand blaster are sitting out there doing nothing now. The welder went back to Arizona, but you've got all kinds of Jerry rigging joins in the area of Northern Nevada to give you a hand. Just about ever thing we sit out in front of the shop in Nevada someone will come by and ask "Is that thing for sale?"

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    18511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    cool idea to grab an old rocker. The city of Denver used to rent them to residents for five cents a day during the depression and yes, I'm told people did keep their family fed that way. Today a 4" dredge could still pull a gram or so per day out of the South Platte but no power equipment is allowed in town of course. I did meet a homeless guy one time who pans for liquor money but that's another story...
    Well you could try disguising that small dredge inside a porta-potty on it's side as though it got washed in the river and have a partner running a weed wacker on the shore, just to dampen the noise of the dredge. I don't think many folks would give a second thought to a sight like that. Now that sound like a drunk who still has a bit of pride left in him. My hat goes off to that fella.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Well you could try disguising that small dredge inside a porta-potty on it's side as though it got washed in the river and have a partner running a weed wacker on the shore, just to dampen the noise of the dredge. I don't think many folks would give a second thought to a sight like that. Now that sound like a drunk who still has a bit of pride left in him. My hat goes off to that fella.
    LoLoLOL!

(And yes, ya gotta admire the effort vs. begging for booze money :-/ )

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Got out Friday afternoon to do a little sampling. Found decent gold but will have to hit that spot harder on a day when the water is higher so sluice set up is easier.

Also went out this past morning (Saturday) with a prospector friend and his 4 year old daughter. Had a great morning in a favorite spot, got really good gold...pics to follow when finish processing is done. I set the little girl up with the Sniper and she loved it. I would put a couple full shovels of paydirt in a pile next to the sluice and she shoveled it into the sluice with a garden trowel. Then she would pull out any rocks to clear the grizzly which she class " the drain". Very industrious and so cute! I helped pan out the results but she did most of the panning...and found 8-10 specks. She was thrilled! Then we threw rocks in the creek and did all the other goofy four year old stuff there was to do. Great times!

Meanwhile, I ran the Prospector and my friend ran his drop riffle sluice with all that classifying that I'm allergic to ;-) He ran 3 classified buckets and I moved 2/3 of a yard thru that Bazooka Prospector. I guess we know how that turns out ;-)

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4139525702.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	992981

Gold from yesterday... Total weight: 0.31 grams

us
    Ron

Mar 2014
    Chicago, Il. Northside
    BH Disc 2200
    220 times
    Kevin,
    I am new to all this but have been thinking and when I read you are not allowed power equipment in town, Now this might sound stupid but like I said I am new to all this, have you ever considered a water wheel set up to run a pump?
    Just a crazy thought and from reading your posts I have learned a lot so I thought I would ask.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Hi fishnfacts, I have not considered that for myself, just too much gear to haul around in my little Honda! However, it has been done successfully AND I should have mentioned that battery powered gear like the gold cube ARE ALLOWED in many parts of metro Denver. As you probably know, gas powered gear is allowed above Tunnel 1 on Clear Creek!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    So I took my car in to get an oil change today (i do the truck myself but the little Honda is a pain so...) and decided to run the Bazooka Sniper in the creek right behind their shop while they worked. The creek there has a recreational path along it and the whole thing is owned by a parks n rec district that is prospector friendly. Nice right? Well, the creek was running high and fast and muddy due to runoff from the big winter storm we just endured here in Colorado. With the Sniper this was a good thing rather than the pain it would have been with a riffle sluice. The water had plenty of force so I could feed the Sniper fairly quickly right off my shovel with only the occasional larger rock to pull out by hand. This meant I moved a decent amount of material, especially considering the short time and challenging conditions (couldn't see the bottom at all). I spent a happy half hour digging along the inside curve of a gentle bend in the creek and did well, picture and weight to follow...

Guess I have a new reason to choose that shop for my oil changes! LOL!
    goldenmojo likes this.

us
    Oct 2012
    Bostonia,Ca
    933 times
    That's awesome Kevin, thanks for sharing. Maybe your oil change will pay for itself....

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    .,. yeah well not quite! However 0.05 grams in 1/2 hour of entertaining myself ain't bad either! (Thx for the comment DWM! Heavy pans!)

us
    Mar 2014
    Oroville Ca
    133 times
    Prospecting
    Hey Kevin since you seem to be the bazooka master I want your opinion on what I caught today with my bazooka. I got this from 2 five gallon buckets is this a good spot do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4223742285.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	994444

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10629 times
    Prospecting
    Hey there! My first reaction is no, that's not so great but...
    - is it nearby?
    - is there better gold near enough to be an alternative?
    - is it a pretty, relaxing spot?
    - can you improve your selection of paydirt to dig to focus on the most productive material?

...it's all relative ya know?

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links