Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed sir! Thanks for the tip, might make it out next weekend for some "heave-ho" action. :)

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys. I sure like how close and easy that spot is to get to. I can even go by there in the afternoon on the way to work!

Nice flakes P70! How many gallons did you shovel to get that much? (so I have some comparison to what I'm getting!)

Take care and see you out there.

John

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDK John, if you saw the big hole in the river, that was me. maybe 10 buckets worth? I dug straigt down for about 3 1/2 feet or so, I tried to kick it full after I was done but... you know... ;)
Also, I have the 48 inch prospector, don't know if you want to throw that into your equation as well or not, but there it is. :)

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Question for Kevin. Or any BGT owners. I have the 36" Prospecter. Having trouble getting enought water flow. But with some dams. I get enought flow to cover the bed. Trying to keep it close to where im digging. So its hard to get much of an angle. I believe its working ok. Because ive found some micro gold. But the grizzlys make the water roster tail. And sometimes the smaller pebbles. Will build up behind the grizzlys. Is this ok. Water is not deep enought to get more angle.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the water isnt deep enough a wing dam is your best bet. I'll work on them for 1/2 hour or more just to be able to dig right next to my sluice.
A wing dam to force water up and over the bazooka, and a punk dam to block the current from ripping the dirt away before i can get the shovel out of the water.
It will run pretty good flat too though, so long as you have enough velocity to take your material up and over the grizzlies.

I've been eyeballing those zipper sandbags on the side of the street the city uses to redirect or slow water in the gutters. would make a good base for a wing dam. Too bad someone hasnt come up with one that just fills up with water poof and you set your sluice on it and start digging. maybe thats my miracle product to produce heheh.

Best hunting, hope any of this rambling helps :)

Edit: Try to keep the fluid bed eject up out of the water if you can, and keep the backend clean of tailings, a bucket in is a bucket out by gum! :)

Last edited:

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P70, 10 buckets sounds about right. I ran about 6 buckets in the short time I was there. And while I haven't ran my black sand seperator yet, I'd say I got some decent small flakes out of there.

Anyway you slice it: close to home and easy to get to is not bad.

John

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IDK John, if you saw the big hole in the river, that was me. maybe 10 buckets worth? I dug straigt down for about 3 1/2 feet or so, I tried to kick it full after I was done but... you know... ;) Also, I have the 48 inch prospector, don't know if you want to throw that into your equation as well or not, but there it is. :)
Good to know you got deep and found big flakes...there you have it folks...Big Bend is the place to be!

Question for Kevin. Or any BGT owners. I have the 36" Prospecter. Having trouble getting enought water flow. But with some dams. I get enought flow to cover the bed. Trying to keep it close to where im digging. So its hard to get much of an angle. I believe its working ok. Because ive found some micro gold. But the grizzlys make the water roster tail. And sometimes the smaller pebbles. Will build up behind the grizzlys. Is this ok. Water is not deep enought to get more angle.
The bigger the sluice, the harder it is to get enough water flow. Thus the balancing act of which size to buy. That said, you'll always be able to run that sluice at Big Bend (bring something to hold it in place tho such as a set of three stakes as there is a shortage of big rocks there sometimes).

Sounds like it is working ok. A rooster tail or pebbles building up...both are ok, not to worry!

if the water isnt deep enough a wing dam is your best bet. I'll work on them for 1/2 hour or more just to be able to dig right next to my sluice. A wing dam to force water up and over the bazooka, and a punk dam to block the current from ripping the dirt away before i can get the shovel out of the water. It will run pretty good flat too though, so long as you have enough velocity to take your material up and over the grizzlies. I've been eyeballing those zipper sandbags on the side of the street the city uses to redirect or slow water in the gutters. would make a good base for a wing dam. Too bad someone hasnt come up with one that just fills up with water poof and you set your sluice on it and start digging. maybe thats my miracle product to produce heheh. Best hunting, hope any of this rambling helps :) Edit: Try to keep the fluid bed eject up out of the water if you can, and keep the backend clean of tailings, a bucket in is a bucket out by gum! :)
Totally accurate P70 with one thing to mention: the Bazooka does not care if the fluid bed eject is out of the stream or a foot under, just no big deal. Agree on the value of investing the time in a good dam.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out with wife, sister-in-law and her two boys. It was their first time out prospecting! We started a new hole and found great gold :) Thanks to young Trevor and Colin for a fresh look on prospecting...the enthusiasm was impressive! View attachment 1013922 image-4201813776.jpg Ran the Angus Mackirk Expedition model drop riffle and of course a Bazooka, the Sniper served duty today. image-756358616.jpg One boy's gold image-761194896.jpg ...and the other's. Definitely a good hole...they want to go back Tuesday!

Attachments

• image-2548321320.jpg
    image-2548321320.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothin' like a wide smile on a kid's face who's workin' hard and havin' fun. Good job puttin' the young ones on the gold Kevin.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin and P 70. They area Ive been working is mostly rock. Not much gravel. So the tailing pile up Quickly.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More pics from yesterday...

image-2942591785.jpg

Feeding the sluices :)

image-2193717419.jpg

image-368493257.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics Kevin, love to see all those smiles!

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin, I just made my own thread: SHERRY's THREAD - My Gold Prospecting Journey. Go check it out later as I start adding my adventures. I've only prospected 5 times so far so I'm gonna post about those with pics of my results and lots of funny stuff too! Also, I'll be posting those questions that we discussed about the BGT Super Mini. ;)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, I'm taking the weekend off sadly. But I've just cut the lid off my new sluice n stuff hauler. A trash bin with wheels heheh. It's super tough and has to be to haul around a few buckets and the bgt 48 inch prospector (sticks out further than the shovel almost lol).
With this last piece of equipment I'll have a much easier haul in and out of the water with all my junk. Plus it fits in my car. Heck, maybe now I'll even take ice!

Best of luck to all this weekend!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin, I just made my own thread: SHERRY's THREAD - My Gold Prospecting Journey. Go check it out later as I start adding my adventures. I've only prospected 5 times so far so I'm gonna post about those with pics of my results and lots of funny stuff too! Also, I'll be posting those questions that we discussed about the BGT Super Mini. ;)
Cool, I already subscribed!

Very nice, I'm taking the weekend off sadly. But I've just cut the lid off my new sluice n stuff hauler. A trash bin with wheels heheh. It's super tough and has to be to haul around a few buckets and the bgt 48 inch prospector (sticks out further than the shovel almost lol). With this last piece of equipment I'll have a much easier haul in and out of the water with all my junk. Plus it fits in my car. Heck, maybe now I'll even take ice! Best of luck to all this weekend!
I'll miss this weekend too as I am a volunteer camp counselor :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
is it a gold prospecting camp?
LoL, I wish! It was a good time...the high schoolers from the church I used to go to (and am sorta still a member of) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread