Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
One who can metaphorically smash 600' homeruns over the underflow wall!! Kevins reputation precedes him. You could drop a #2 in a pan and Kevin would find some small gold in it. He also prospects all year long in colorado. Bad a$$... Jus sayin.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again Griz!

I got out today to sample a new spot in an old hydraulic area. Great story behind it...they got the mine going again in 34-35 but got their hydraulicing water cut off due to a water rights conflict. They left the rest of the good stuff for me! Well at least that's my fantasy ;) So far each little sample has produced a flake or speck or so...today was no exception. One grain flake from the sample...sure wish there was water closer to the ore...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GrizzlyGremlin;Kevins reputation precedes him. You could drop a #2 in a pan and Kevin would find some small gold in it. Bad a$$... Jus sayin.[/QUOTE said:
Hate to say it, but it's no doubt been done...
.....and more than once. Someone pops a nugget in their mouth to clean it off and....
DOHH.jpg~original

Kevin, that's when ya go in and classify as much material as
you can haul, and then run it at home. Extra labor, but then
you get the pleasure of running it at home when ya got time.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, there is water 1/2 mile ish down hill so if I find a hot spot, I'll be cutting trail and using a rolling cart like some of those in AZ...just gotta find the hot spot first :)

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, there is water 1/2 mile ish down hill so if I find a hot spot, I'll be cutting trail and using a rolling cart like some of those in AZ...just gotta find the hot spot first :)

you could get a claim on it and build an old fashion minecart system:laughing7:

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

I'm heading out to 78th and York at the big bend on the South Platte today. Be there about 1400, er ah, 2:00 PM if anyone's also feeling like digging in the heat....

gravel bar, here I come! hehe

John

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was indeed a nice day for digging johna2231, very nice to have met you today. I hope you left with full pans! (Also, nice bazooka!)
I too went out to 78th today, got a nice start in the morning with a good friend, we met john on the way out with my trash can full o sluices. The sluice hauler worked really well on the concrete, not so much on the gravel bar though.
Did not see anything much going in, test pan after the first cleanout looked pretty good. Will post results.

Best,

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love hearing that you guys got out and that you met each other today! P70, I want to see pics of your gear hauling approach too! I was up in the mountains visiting my cousins today (no, sadly they do NOT live in a gold bearing area) and stopped to sample Tarryall creek at the *only* spot I know I can go legally...just sampled but found gold...a speck or two is all but my wife was sitting in the car waiting so, yeah. All good, I had a pan in the water and found gold :)

As to the old hydraulicing site, if I find a hot spot and lay a claim, I have visions of running a cable between trees from the dig site down to the creek side (or at least close) so the full buckets can just slide down the cable :) Might need two runs to make the distance, dunno but an idea I've seen done so it's possible. Still gotta find that hot spot first.

Last edited:

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin if you start looking into carts... A $70 deer cart in eBay works great, super light, large weight capacity an not bad to push or pull with weight centered over two wheels.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin if you start looking into carts... A $70 deer cart in eBay works great, super light, large weight capacity an not bad to push or pull with weight centered over two wheels.
thanks for the tip, that may be more realistic than my overhead cable idea...time will tell.

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was indeed a nice day for digging johna2231, very nice to have met you today. I hope you left with full pans! (Also, nice bazooka!)
I too went out to 78th today, got a nice start in the morning with a good friend, we met john on the way out with my trash can full o sluices. The sluice hauler worked really well on the concrete, not so much on the gravel bar though.
Did not see anything much going in, test pan after the first cleanout looked pretty good. Will post results.

Best,

Nice meeting you in person too, Prospector70. The "can" looks like a good concept. Maybe some bigger tires like from a mountain bike? Should be doable?

I ran about 35 gallons of material in a couple of hours. Man, I love my BGT Prosepctor! What a great sluice!

Hope to see ya on the river again sometime.

BTW, that was a GREAT wing damn. Thanks! ;)

John

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A pic of some of the take would be very inspiring.

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call on the game carts. If not for a game cart, I think my moose would have killed me. Should work great for prospecting equipment!

John

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the gold from my second outing with my nephews late last month:

image-3292884755.jpg

Weight to follow once dry :)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that's some nice looking gold!
woot-035.gif~original

My guess on the weight: 2.0 grams

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread