Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jdrasberry

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, White's Bullseye 140mm
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was still good fun getting out on the creek with you yesterday Joe :)
I ended up stopping at another spot on the way home and got 0.12 grams for the day :)

Yes it was fun! When I got home I looked so Happy my wife knew I had had a great time. Today I went to Bass Pro and bought a pair of their hip waders. Way overkill but now I'm ready for deep water. lol I can't wait to get out again next week while it is still warm! It is fantastic to find a little gold this close to home! Thanks Again Kevin!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You must be the guy on this site that works the most material while still holding down a job. Def jealous. I have a buddy that lives in Denver. I told him that there was gold right there in town. He was pretty incredulous.
Nice of you to say and might be true ;-) I'd like to think there's guys in Calif mother lode country who do better while working full time but at least here in Denver I suppose. It sure helps to have productive creeks close to home...gotta love Denver!

Yes it was fun! When I got home I looked so Happy my wife knew I had had a great time. Today I went to Bass Pro and bought a pair of their hip waders. Way overkill but now I'm ready for deep water. lol I can't wait to get out again next week while it is still warm! It is fantastic to find a little gold this close to home! Thanks Again Kevin!
So glad to hear that Joe. The time with you really made my day! I definitely approve of the hip waders, boots just aren't long enough most times. My second prospecting stop on Thursday included two 'soakers' as I stepped in my own hole, deeper than the boot is tall. Brr! (Understandable mistake when the water is so full of sediment from snow melt runoff that you can't see the skid plate of your sluice thru an inch or so of water...the hole I dug was quite invisible ;-) Waders would have made all the difference. Ah well, it's all part of the adventure :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today, sunny, windy and cold but a friend invited me over to a spot he has sampled a bit...he wanted more sampling so I dug a couple holes.

image-188064256.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pics of the site

image-2788703838.jpg

image-4144115044.jpg image-2900365956.jpg Notice the river cobble in the bank...yup that's the source :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's that green thing in the bucket for? I think I used to use one of those....... Lol
Good catch! I shoveled directly into my Bazooka Prospector just like usual...no bucket or classifier involved. I only use the classifier to pull the larger gravel out of my cons. I usually do a quick classify and partial panning at the creek to reduce how much material I carry out. It also helps on days like today when I am sampling several areas and so, pulling the sluice after each sample hole, classifying the cons and panning them down enough to see what we think of that sample hole.

Btw total take for the outing was 0.23 grams. A good start to my new month :) (month starts the morning after the monthly Gold Prospectors of the Rockies meeting. We have a contest for most gold found. I won in january, came in second last night for Feb...good friendly competition motivates me to get out there (as if the fever wasn't enough already!)

Oh and my wife laughed at me for going out on such a cold day...what does she know :P

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
hey kevin this meeting you go to every month, do you have to be a member? how can i get in on this meeting because my knowledge is by far not vast enuff!

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
hey kevin, this meeting you go to evry month do you have to be a member? how do i get in on this meeting because my knowledge by far is not vast enuff.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
thats right down from my shop! mwahahah "hey that guy with the funny looking shovel"
wink wink

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey kevin, this meeting you go to evry month do you have to be a member? how do i get in on this meeting because my knowledge by far is not vast enuff.
You don't have to be a member to attend, we have visitors every month. It's the 3rd Wed at 7pm. Go here http://www.lornet.com/prospector/index.html for more details. Very active club as far as outings, training sessions and such too.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good catch! I shoveled directly into my Bazooka Prospector just like usual...no bucket or classifier involved. I only use the classifier to pull the larger gravel out of my cons. I usually do a quick classify and partial panning at the creek to reduce how much material I carry out. It also helps on days like today when I am sampling several areas and so, pulling the sluice after each sample hole, classifying the cons and panning them down enough to see what we think of that sample hole.

Btw total take for the outing was 0.23 grams. A good start to my new month :) (month starts the morning after the monthly Gold Prospectors of the Rockies meeting. We have a contest for most gold found. I won in january, came in second last night for Feb...good friendly competition motivates me to get out there (as if the fever wasn't enough already!)

Oh and my wife laughed at me for going out on such a cold day...what does she know :P

That's what I figured I was just giving you a hard time. I started taking my AM along and letting my little guy run my clean outs through it. It keeps him busy and he gets a kick out of seeing the gold appear. Gives me more time on the Prospector if he is not getting bored. I must admit for a 7 yr old he is getting some skills. He sets up little AM on his own and runs the material without clogging it up or spilling it. He is pretty much done after about 3 hrs which is fine, I am just glad he is showing interest.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what I figured I was just giving you a hard time. I started taking my AM along and letting my little guy run my clean outs through it. It keeps him busy and he gets a kick out of seeing the gold appear. Gives me more time on the Prospector if he is not getting bored. I must admit for a 7 yr old he is getting some skills. He sets up little AM on his own and runs the material without clogging it up or spilling it. He is pretty much done after about 3 hrs which is fine, I am just glad he is showing interest.
soooo cool!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out for the last hour before dusk today with my Bazooka Prospector. A nice lady came along and chatted with me for a minute while her dog had a swim in the pond I've dug just up stream from my dam LOL. I'm calling it the "dog pond" now :) Anyway, she also asked if I'd heard about that couple in CA who found all the old gold coins...funny she thought to mention that when she saw my sluice. I guess my neighbors are getting used to seeing me prospecting on this end of town!

image-2908537385.jpg

The one on the left is from yesterday. 0.13 grams in an hour of digging.

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding work Kevin! pretty cool rock work there old top!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again on thurs the 27th... 0.21 grams in 1.5 hours from the same hole as last time :) All fines this time, not even one decent sized flake. Sure was lovely weather...all storms here and frigid weather since then. Tomorrow Ian. Headed out on a two week business trip so it'll be mid March before I get out again. I'm at just over half a gram so it's pretty unlikely I'll win the monthly club competition...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread