Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw stuff about the mud slides in Azusa in the news the other day...of course I said something to my wife about fresh gold moving into the river! Mud slides can move bigger gold easily since it can't drop out of suspension until the mud is diluted in the river :) Hope you find some big stuff!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argh it's going to be 70 on Thursday too... I'm already sick as far as work is concerned hahah.
Picture somewhat related.
174.jpg

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like clear sailing, er,.. sluicing through the weekend here in so cal. Highs near 80.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally got out yesterday after two weeks of business travel. Did pretty good trying out my brand new Bazooka Sniper.

image-786876380.jpg

Got 0.18 grams of the yellow stuff.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's cool. My wife's first reaction on seeing it was that it looked like just her size! Maybe she'll go out with me occasionally - that alone would make it worth having around! Seriously I like it - better than the supermini for modest creeks and the sort of sampling I like to do.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
he classified!
Heresy Tweeta, for shame! Seriously, I shoveled direct and that seemed to work just fine. You have to sort of shake the material off the shovel bit by bit rather than just tossing it on the skid plate a whole shovel at a time (like the prospector) but it was pretty fast work all the same. I ran the sluice pretty flat at first and had the pleasure of seeing flakes of gold on the skid plate...always fun! My only concern is that my take had a lot less -50 cons/gold than usual in that spot so I'm wondering if I lost some of the fine gold for some reason. Have to experiment more I guess ;-)

March 23 Update: got out again to the same hole on Friday with my trusty Prospector. Caught the same ratio of larger to smaller material so I guess that's just how the material runs in that spot. Is means the Sniper did GREAT!

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha nice zing tweeta!
Super pic Kevin, congrats on the new sluice!

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 36" Sniper is supposed to get here finally on Wed. Can't wait to give it a try and see how it compares to the drop riffle sluice i have been using.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Out on the creek right now. Check out the mineralized layer in the deposit left by last September's flooding!

image-1913967921.jpg

...orange/rust layer just above the rocks :)

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rebel, have you tried out your BGT yet?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update from yesterday's digging: the pile on the left in the pic is 0.25 grams plus the +20 flakes on the penny. Found the penny on bedrock and it's only a 1965 so the material in the creek has shifted a lot in less than 50 years.

image-2591342381.jpg

Was a beautiful day and several neighbors stopped by to say hi while out on walks...they probably all think I'm a nut...even the two I actually know!

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Thats just crazy good gold. I hope there is 100 yards of material with gold like that in it waiting for me and the 4" when i arrive.
Gorgeous stuff!!
Im hitting it on april fools day... Either brilliant to dumb

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats just crazy good gold. I hope there is 100 yards of material with gold like that in it waiting for me and the 4" when i arrive. Gorgeous stuff!! Im hitting it on april fools day... Either brilliant to dumb
Thanks and good luck out there GG!

This spot is in the city so no power equipment allowed...that said, guys with 4" dredges get a gram a day up in Clear Creek Canyon just west of town (no permit needed, rules published on Jefferson county open space website)

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good picture giving the sluice in perspective with the glove and shovel Kevin. What is the length of this model?
Nice shiny gold there in Colorado.

Mike

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good picture giving the sluice in perspective with the glove and shovel Kevin. What is the length of this model? Nice shiny gold there in Colorado. Mike
Thanks, that was exactly the idea...the glove is an XL...oh, you mean the sluice (lol) - That is the 30" Sniper. My Prospector is also a 30". I would love to run each of them side by side with the 36" versions to see which is really better and I hope to do that this summer with some of the other CO guys here on tnet. My experience has been that the 30" versions work great...and that's what fits easily in the trunk of my car so that's what really drives the selection!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread