Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts) - Page 51
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Like Tree857Likes

Thread: Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    761 times
    Week and came up with one teensey color
    Back to the front range!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10583 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah, there is gold in that area but only in a couple spots. The Yampa itself isn't known for gold at all. Next time you're headed that way, PM me for tips on where to look...

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10583 times
    Prospecting

Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Got out to my honey hole for an hour of digging today and managed to run my Sniper toooo steep. It can be done. Net result, I lost about 1/2 the gold into my tailings. How did I know? By both the small amount of material in my cleanout pan and the exclusively large size of the gold. What did I do? Easy, I just reset the sluice and reran my tailings. A quick and productive process.

Here's a pic of that first cleanout with just larger gold:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430031791.461143.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	629.3 KB 
ID:	1152402
    And the final result (0.35 grams):

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430063944.304827.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	712.8 KB 
ID:	1152497
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; May 12, 2015 at 05:35 AM.

Nov 2012
    761 times
    So clean, its so yellow!! I love it!

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Too steep? How did that happen? Just not enough water running so you made it steeper? Inquiring minds want to know....

Nice looking gold, though.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10583 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks Dave. What happened is I built a dam in a new spot several weeks ago then came back last weekend to use it for the first time. In between times the creek filled in behind the dam with sand so the top end of my sluice was higher than I intended and indeed TOO high. When I reset the sluice I had to raise the lower end to get back in the high gold retention range. A very, very rare problem

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10583 times
    Prospecting

Ok time for a rod mill update!
    You may recall that I built a tabletop rod mill, ran a couple test batches and then burned out the little motor on it with one of my experiments. I've yet to build a new one but here's why I will:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430782321.409586.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	1157113
    Crushing in the mill did a great job of flattening the hidden gold... Cool right?

Here's the mill rods (not all rods!) and tumbler. Notice the drywall screws used to maximize tumbling. Worked amazingly well using the chassis of an inkjet printer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430782513.628373.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	926.4 KB 
ID:	1157115

PS the material was all ready processed magnetic super cons with NO visible gold. I removed everything that was still magnetic before panning the post-milling material. The gold and black sand you see is almost all +30 mesh.
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; May 05, 2015 at 12:48 PM.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    You may recall that I built a tabletop rod mill, ran a couple test batches and then burned out the little motor on it with one of my experiments. I've yet to build a new one but here's why I will:Click image for larger version. 

Crushing in the mill did a great job of flattening the hidden gold... Cool right?

Here's the mill rods (not all rods!) and tumbler. Notice the drywall screws used to maximize tumbling. Worked amazingly well using the chassis of an inkjet printer. Click image for larger version. 

PS the material was all ready processed magnetic super cons with NO visible gold. I removed everything that was still magnetic before panning. The gold and black sand you see is almost all +30 mesh.
    Wow, I have an old spike like that from the Denver, Rio Grand and Western RR. It looks like a bit of bicycle chain and some small iron rods. I can do that now!

I love the flattened gold picture! That is exactly what it is supposed to do. Have to get started on my rod mill!! Thanks for the update.

BTW, how long did you rotate the mill?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10583 times
    Prospecting

Hmm, an hour or two I think. Not longer

The rods are from the printer chassis paper handling mechanism. The chain came out of the creek and is a bit bigger than bicycle, it's rusted solid. The mix of iron and screws was to ensure I got tumbling instead of just rolling. The spike is from Big Bend!

Looking forward to seeing your results Dave!!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; May 04, 2015 at 11:01 PM.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

PS the material was all ready processed magnetic super cons with NO visible gold. I removed everything that was still magnetic before panning. The gold and black sand you see is almost all +30 mesh.
    What is this rod mill business? Sound interesting, what's it all about?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10583 times
    Prospecting

It's basically using a rock tumbler to crush your super cons after you get all the visible gold out. I'm too cheap to buy a rock tumbler so I made one out of an old inkjet printer and the canister pictured. As you can see it breaks up the material and flattens the gold particles hidden in the brittle sands.

The gold and sand pictured were from one of several experiments I ran...this one was all magnetic material at the start. After processing, a surprising amount of non-mag material was liberated due to shattering the granules, and of course the gold

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    What is this rod mill business? Sound interesting, what's it all about?
    Link to thread:
    Simple solution to fine gold recovery

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    833 times
    Stayin' alive :D
    Got out to my honey hole for an hour of digging today and managed to run my Sniper toooo steep. It can be done. Net result, I lost about 1/2 the gold into my tailings. How did I know? By both the small amount of material in my cleanout pan and the exclusively large size of the gold. What did I do? Easy, I just reset the sluice and reran my tailings. A quick and productive process.

Here's a pic of that first cleanout with just larger gold:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430031791.461143.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	629.3 KB 
ID:	1152402
    And the final result:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430063944.304827.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	712.8 KB 
ID:	1152497
    And now, the angles were, drum-roll please ....

Too steep ______________ Just right ________________
    Sideways Sherry likes this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10583 times
    Prospecting
    Oops, don't know. I'm a failure, sorry. I would guess the too steep was like a 30 degree angle and backing off to 20 degrees did the job. Just guessing sorry.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldpannerDave View Post
    Awesome! I love this idea. Im gonna have to try this..Thanks for the link
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links