OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well... This past Friday, October 10, 2014, Pres. Obama proclaimed our San Gabriel Mountains a National Monument which will take away or ability to prospect soon enough. Me, Sample Pan Dan and a few others are hitting the river this weekend for what, sadly, may be one of our last times gold prospecting on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River. Very sad indeed, as there are not many places at all with rivers nearby that are able to be prospected in. :-(

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well... This past Friday, October 10, 2014, Pres. Obama proclaimed our San Gabriel Mountains a National Monument which will take away or ability to prospect soon enough. Me, Sample Pan Dan and a few others are hitting the river this weekend for what, sadly, may be one of our last times gold prospecting on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River. Very sad indeed, as there are not many places at all with rivers nearby that are able to be prospected in. :-(

I don't think EF has seen anywhere near the last of you Sherry. You seem like a fighter and probably they'll have to pry you out of the canyon when/ if there is a ban up there. Good luck this weekend. Maybe I will try to make it up too. Any idea where you'll be? Up, Down ? Sideways?:hello:

Glenn

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry It's despicable what they did to ya'all. Take a mini vacation someday for a little color. You know where.

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well since we are being forced out of our East Fork of the San Gabriel River due to it becoming a National Monument, many of us are becoming resourceful in finding new areas. I am happy to report that many of our friends are venturing out and the samples are turning out quite well!

TBD!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well since we are being forced out of our East Fork of the San Gabriel River due to it becoming a National Monument, many of us are becoming resourceful in finding new areas. I am happy to report that many of our friends are venturing out and the samples are turning out quite well! TBD!
wow, that's great!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well since we are being forced out of our East Fork of the San Gabriel River due to it becoming a National Monument, many of us are becoming resourceful in finding new areas. I am happy to report that many of our friends are venturing out and the samples are turning out quite well!

TBD!

Right on Sherry. Turn the crisis into opportunity. Good Luck to all!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

TBD!

Great It will be cold then so pack your snuggly gold gear. You might also want to go to the local football field and run up and down the bleachers about 50 times daily to get ready for some hiking.

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry I never got around to the 4 " But I did redo my seals using leather. But I actually formed a cup by soaking the leather and the pushing it into the tube with a slightly smaller tube I had to hammer it in and then I let it dry. Removed and trimmed. I made 4 2 per unit They work great and don't get stuck.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might also want to go to the local football field and run up and down the bleachers about 50 times daily to get ready for some hiking.

Rumor has it She's been doing 100 yard sprints, Vertically. Carrying 5 gals of paydirt.

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I picked up the leather at micheal' s crafts it was a square about 12"x12" about an 1/8th thick smooth on 1 side rough on the other

what you need:
All pipe is Schedule 80

1.5 " dia section of dredge body make sure it is squared ( cut straight) on both ends about 1 foot long is good. You can make 2 at a time this way
1" dia pvc pipe again make sure it is cut square 2 6" pieces
1/2 inch threaded rod 3 feet or so you cut it to length when your done
2 1" dia metal washers
2 circles of cut leather the leather circle is about 1.25 " larger diameter then the dredge body tube
1 circle of leather 1.25" in dia. This should fit a bit snug in the tube.
using a section of dredge body as the mold mine is 1.5 " od so the ID is 1.25. cut out a circle of leather about 1 to 1.25 inches diameter larger then the dia of the mold your using.

soak your leather circles in hot water for about 15 min.
Now place the leather over the opening of the dredge body section you cut and center it.
Take the 1 " PVC and push it into the center of the 1.5" section. Tap it into the the 1.5" until it is all the way in, flip over and do it again on other side. Put in the sun until leather is dried. You now have a leather cup. I trimmed mine down to about 3/4" to 1" sides on the cup.

I used a threaded rod.
I made an attempt at drawing this for you. I am attaching 2 hand drawn pictures and I never ever claimed to be an artist~!!
I think you should be able to understand my concept. It works great even better once the seals are wetted and swell a little hand dredge parts.jpg Hand dredge intube view.jpg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rumor has it She's been doing 100 yard sprints, Vertically. Carrying 5 gals of paydirt.

Looks like I'm sluice tender then.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread