SHERRYs THREAD - My Gold Prospecting Journey

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea I have, I panned it out once I got my suction tweezers and a DRAM vial and it sure does look like a lot less now. Umph! I'm keeping all my black sands, I heard that you can extract micron gold from it somehow, just haven't had time to look into it, nor do I have a significant amount of black sand yet... By the way, that is a very small canning jar and a very close up photo so it looks like more gold nad larger that it really was.
Smart. I suggest you save all the "heavies" that are with the black sands too. As you learn more, get classifiers, etc you will get more gold out of there!

Do you have access to a scale that goes down to 1/100 of a gram? I enjoy weighing my gold from each trip and use an inexpensive digital scale from a head shop :)

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well we officially think my husbands vertigo is coming back... He has crashed his mountain bike 3 times in the last 2 months for absolutely no logical reason. So, he called me (which he never does, usually texts) about 7:40pm and said, "Sherry, I need you to listen to me clearly, don't PANIC but I need you to go get my SUV and come get me FAST, I'm GUSHING blood from my arm and knee (yes, same knee again), bring lots of towels, I'll meet you at the trailhead, I hope!" WTF!!! I ran to my car like a bat outta hell from inside the store yelling for my son and his friend to run with me and raced up the road to the parking lot to get his car then kicked in the Turbo on that dang Santa Fe leaving a patch of rubber behind me at every stop. So I've got my emergency flashers on and flashing my headlights and at one point I was ready to put some jacka$$ in hospital myself because he was acting all tough in his rear view mirror and would not move aside and let me pass. So I finally get to him and he was covered head to toe in blood and his arm was still pouring. We wrapped his arm and knee, got him in the car and I was headed to the hospital when Gil said, "I'm going home to shower first, I'll asses it and then decide what to do." He gets out of the shower, still pouring blood and he sends me off to the store to get butterfly stitches, non-stick gauze, wrap, etc. He needs about 5 stitches in his forearm, a couple in his knee and has quarter size contusions all over the left side of his body from his shoulder to his calves! All I have to say is, my husband is one BADA$$ 49 year old!!!! We will see in the morning if he needs to go to the ER...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smart. I suggest you save all the "heavies" that are with the black sands too. As you learn more, get classifiers, etc you will get more gold out of there!

Do you have access to a scale that goes down to 1/100 of a gram? I enjoy weighing my gold from each trip and use an inexpensive digital scale from a head shop :)

Kevin, I don't have one but I've been eyeing this one in eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281268952377

0.001g x 30g AMW Gemini Digital Milligram Gram Scale Digital Scale 1

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like it. It also weighs in grains which is how gold ought to be measured.:occasion14:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a great deal and just the thing for gold :)

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well we officially think my husbands vertigo is coming back... He has crashed his mountain bike 3 times in the last 2 months for absolutely no logical reason. So, he called me (which he never does, usually texts) about 7:40pm and said, "Sherry, I need you to listen to me clearly, don't PANIC but I need you to go get my SUV and come get me FAST, I'm GUSHING blood from my arm and knee (yes, same knee again), bring lots of towels, I'll meet you at the trailhead, I hope!" WTF!!! I ran to my car like a bat outta hell from inside the store yelling for my son and his friend to run with me and raced up the road to the parking lot to get his car then kicked in the Turbo on that dang Santa Fe leaving a patch of rubber behind me at every stop. So I've got my emergency flashers on and flashing my headlights and at one point I was ready to put some jacka$$ in hospital myself because he was acting all tough in his rear view mirror and would not move aside and let me pass. So I finally get to him and he was covered head to toe in blood and his arm was still pouring. We wrapped his arm and knee, got him in the car and I was headed to the hospital when Gil said, "I'm going home to shower first, I'll asses it and then decide what to do." He gets out of the shower, still pouring blood and he sends me off to the store to get butterfly stitches, non-stick gauze, wrap, etc. He needs about 5 stitches in his forearm, a couple in his knee and has quarter size contusions all over the left side of his body from his shoulder to his calves! All I have to say is, my husband is one BADA$$ 49 year old!!!! We will see in the morning if he needs to go to the ER...

Maybe he should take up a nice passive activity like gold mining.............

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos Sherry on your decision to start your own thread / saga...It's refreshing..
btw...think I caught your edit..so, did you put him in the er? ;)

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe he should take up a nice passive activity like gold mining.............

GMojo, we love what we love now don't we... He's on that bike again RIGHT NOW!!! :BangHead: Just at the beach instead of on the mountain. He just texted me that his bandages need changing. LOL!!! I see no chance of him switching to prospecting.

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kudos Sherry on your decision to start your own thread / saga...It's refreshing..
btw...think I caught your edit..so, did you put him in the er? ;)

Hehehe! Busted!!! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: Nah, that poor baby was deservedly worn out and he was asleep :sleepy2: before his head even hit the pillow. No ER... but it was a good morning! :notworthy:

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey thats cool, I have to get out there to California on the SG and give it a try myself. My wife and I are full timers in a 40 motorhome and are planning a trip to California one day soon I hope.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherry, your husband sounds awful hardheaded. If you could ever get him to make the switch , he would make a world class prospector. Ha!

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherry, your husband sounds awful hardheaded. If you could ever get him to make the switch , he would make a world class prospector. Ha!

Or better yet..You are good at McGyvering...build yourself a highbanker with a bicycle driven water pump...Mount an iPad do it tuned to YouTube bicycle races..
With an ice chest full of Coronas..
Waallaah....no more ER's.. ;)
Well.. At least from crashing his bike.. ;)

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
rodoconnor said:

Bingo! You need to give him a more healthy addiction. Being addicted to 40mph skinnings isnt good! He needs El Oro Puro!

OP
OP
Sideways Sherry

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or better yet..You are good at McGyvering...build yourself a highbanker with a bicycle driven water pump...Mount an iPad do it tuned to YouTube bicycle races.. With an ice chest full of Coronas.. Waallaah....no more ER's.. ;) Well.. At least from crashing his bike.. ;) Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

HERBY, THAT IS THE FUNNIEST DARN THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! IT'S ALSO THE MOST BRILLIANT THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! LOL! - YOU WIN HANDS DOWN!! ;)
I could even put one of those generators on there to keep the iPad battery charged. Hey, wait, I can even attach a light to the generator and I could keep the operation going 24 hrs a day! LOL!!! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread